Not as thick-skinned as I thought...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not as thick-skinned as I thought...

I have an auction ending in 17 minutes for a customer who is 3 months behind. I have dotted my i's and crossed my t's in the lien process and have crossed my fingers that he would come through with payment. He has given me so many excuses...hypertension, father passed away and this is all he has left, divorce, cold Minnesota weather has prevented him from making $, begged me to "do the right thing" and give him another month so that, "health and weather permitting", he can come up with the money to stop the auction. I am sticking to my guns here because this renter, who seems like a nice guy, has a history of delinquency. We own and operate our business in a small town where everyone knows everyone. Am I wrong to stick to my guns? I don't normally stress so much about this...I guess I just gotta vent this time.

Well, if you had more time-you could offer the option of pay half and vacate immediately. Have them sign a form that says If they fail to vacate within the agreed upon time frame the stuff becomes property of your facility and you can do what you want with it.However with 17 minutes to go I would say stick to your guns. He knows how to give a good sob story, but that doesnt pay the rent. I have only ever made 2 exceptions to an auction at the last minute and I regretted it both times because I was burned by the tenant.
    Last edited by wc1974; 13th February 2019, 05:48 PM.
    You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Let's see. Been lied to how many times now by this guy and you are thinking of caving in? Played the sympathy card with you too. Do the right thing my a$$! Do the right thing and sell it and be done with it. Move on and re-rent the unit. In a small town the word will get around that you are a soft touch and the cockroaches will beat down your door. In 3 months how many chances has he had. gobs right!!!!!!!!!!

I got thick skin and don't worry about it at all. i have said many times here, having a storage unit is a WANT and not a NEED. Adults make decisions and must live with them. The entitlement crowd will drive you nuts. That "Do the right thing" line is priceless. You are, if and when you sell his stuff and get him out of there.

Even the nicest and sweetest people need a wake up call at times. Like you said, he is a nice guy but that doesn't pay your bills, does it.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I've worn your boots. I once let a guy string me along for a year for his unit since he'd 'always caught up'. Shake it off and keep going. You've done your due diligence.
        90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

WA State

Comment

Stick to your guns and be done with it. I've (we've) all been there. One tenant of mine stands out because she basically did the same exact thing. There were phone calls and email promising to pay, and phone calls and emails with excuses why she didn't. She showed up the day of the sale about 10 minutes after it had ended. She was in tears begging me not to sell it, but it was already gone. She had no money, so absolutely NO intention of paying anything even if it hadn't sold. I've stressed about selling certain units, too. Don't let them suck you in with their "woe is me" stories. Like wc1974 suggested, try offering a lower payoff with a promise to vacate. You'll likely get more than at auction, and the tenant gets to keep their stuff.
          Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

Stick to your guns! People will take advantage of your sympathy, I've seen it happen time and time again.
            AmyLou

Comment

We have it happen all the time and we always loose BUT those decisions are made against my recommendations

Comment

Ohhhh we have all been there. It is a shame that he is stringing you along. He will keep doing it and there will always be an excuse. It always works for him. Maybe when it doesn't he will learn with you & others that he has to put his big boy pants on and act like an adult. You can refer back to the many months and all the excuses when he says (and he will) how terrible you are. Did you hear from him after the auction?

The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

I had a client who was two months behind. No contact from him but my DM and I didn't want to auction just one unit. (Years ago) so with permission of the DM, I sent out paperwork a month later than normal. I decided to run the unit in the auction and did an inmate search. Not that I had to, just thought I would. Yup - there he was - in there on drug charges. He was in jail for the next 8 months. Sent him a regular and a certified letter to him in jail!

He then had Baby Momma contact me and ask me about the cost. Told her and also told her the date and time she had to have the payment in.

After three months, the unit was the last of 8 auctioned off, including a build up unit. For five hours prior to the auction time I would get a call, "I'll be there soon. I'll be there at 10:30 at my break. i'll be there at 11:30 at my break. I'll be there at noon at my lunch etc. I'm ten minutes away. I'm almost there (30 minutes later). Don't sell it I'm coming with the $842 we owe." I told her until you show with cash in hand, the unit is still going to auction.

His unit should have been first but it really didn't matter. Auctioneer called SOLD at $2600 at 3:50pm for a 2:00pm scheduled auction. (Had a riding 0 turn lawn mower and several back pack units for his lawn service and every game system known to man at that time along with some illegal drugs) Baby Momma shows up at 3:52 asking to pay for the unit. Paperwork was done and payment was made by person who purchased the unit. Baby momma offered them the $842 to get it back.

Say W H A T ????!!!

She was sent a check from the company for the difference and turned it back in stating it was not enough to cover their losses and she was going to sue because she was there with the money. Remember! She had been told the time that the auction was going to begin.

Oh My>>>>> Baby GRANDmamma called stating she had power of attorney drawn up and they could send HER the check as baby momma was now in jail and SHE would have no problem taking almost $2000 to help her support her 5 grandbabies that were now in her custody.

Give them an inch and they expect and will try to take 6 yards!
                  Last edited by Tall Terri; 12th March 2019, 04:59 PM.
                  Tall Terri

The customer's fantasy doesn't always match with reality!

Comment

Yea, she was gonna sue. Get in line lady and get out of here. Hopefully during the entire promises crap she put you thru you documented everyone of them.

Comment

One thing I am finding is if you do not allow any excuses and say it is what it is. Somehow they come up with the money! Since I have started the policy we waive only 1st late fee no excuses people start paying. I would definetly auction or this will keep going on.

Comment

Waving fees, like I have said 100 times, creates a non motivated tenant to pay on time.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                          Yea, she was gonna sue. Get in line lady and get out of here. Hopefully during the entire promises crap she put you thru you documented everyone of them.
                          If it's not documented, it didn't happen. Period!
                          Tall Terri

The customer's fantasy doesn't always match with reality!

Comment

Originally posted by Tall Terri View Post

If it's not documented, it didn't happen. Period!
                            As a wise lawyer once told me and I have said here many times. LOL!

Comment

As others have said, assuming you have followed the law during the lien process, always stick to your guns. I used to try to "work with people" years ago, and 99.9% of them take advantage of you and aren't even thankful. I've been called every name under the sun, but the fact remains I'm the one sticking to the rental agreement they signed.

By the way, I always love it when a tenant will use how long they've stored with you as an argument for why you should waive their late fees, etc. I always feel like replying, "Well, if you've been here so long, then you ought to know when your rent is due and what happens if you don't pay it"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X