SiteLink not supporting Outlook anymore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SiteLink not supporting Outlook anymore

Guys, while I'm on the subject of Site Link, did you see this gem. I saw it by accident in my email junk folder:

It gives this link for more info:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...3islU1QvE/edit

Is anyone else upset about this?

We use Outlook a lot for our outbound emails: invoices, receipts, customer communication, you name it. We also like to keep copies of all outbound emails in Outlook (for further reference.) So now instead of all that they want us to use a free service like Gmail.

PS. And by the way, this has nothing to do with Microsoft updates. Those updates are to make our computing safer (that the makers of SiteLink need to understand.)

Did you click on any of the links in the email? Are you sure it's legit? I'm only asking because I've not received an email like this. A quick online search also tells me outlook already uses smtp, so not sure what they mean by "switching" to smtp. Yes, I have had small issues here and there caused by outlook, but usually, a live update fixes it.
    Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

You also said that you found that email in your junk folder!
      So I would contact Sitelink directly and ask for some clarity in this matter.
      Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Yes, what lady5563 said. Something doesn't quite sound right. If you haven't clicked on any of the links...don't! Who actually sent the email? What's that address?

Comment

This is a none issue for the most part, what it means is Site Link will no longer use the outlook application on your computer for sending messages. You will still be able to send and receive messages in outlook, you will still use the same email address. It is just that Site Link will interact via SMTP (simple mail transport protocol) with your email provider.

The message will still show they came from you, and when a tenant responds the message will still show up in outlook.

This just means you need to put in a few lines of info (same info you entered into outlook for it to work) into yout site link settings and everything will work fine

Comment

Originally posted by RandyL View Post
            This is a none issue for the most part, what it means is Site Link will no longer use the outlook application on your computer for sending messages. You will still be able to send and receive messages in outlook, you will still use the same email address. It is just that Site Link will interact via SMTP (simple mail transport protocol) with your email provider.

The message will still show they came from you, and when a tenant responds the message will still show up in outlook.

This just means you need to put in a few lines of info (same info you entered into outlook for it to work) into yout site link settings and everything will work fine
            NO, it doesn't mean just a few lines of info. We currently have all of our outbound emails stored in Outlook's "sent items" folder. If we switch to SMTP they will have to go through our email provider and bypass Outlook, thus we will not have a copy of what has been sent. And we use this quite often. Additionally we don't use GMail or some other free service. We use our own domain name. This also means that we will have to pay our web designer to do this switch. The question is WHY do we need all this when the current solution is working quite well????

lady5563 DairyGirl
            As for previous posts, yes, it's a legit message. It is going to happen on March 1.

Comment

Follow-up: yes, I understand that this is quite silly for a company to announce something using a Google Doc link instead of something posted on their own website. (Tells you something about their understanding of online security.) But that post is legitimate. (See the Google Doc link in my first message.) Yours is probably in your spam folder too.

Comment

Originally posted by bnr_manager View Post

NO, it doesn't mean just a few lines of info. We currently have all of our outbound emails stored in Outlook's "sent items" folder. If we switch to SMTP they will have to go through our email provider and bypass Outlook, thus we will not have a copy of what has been sent. And we use this quite often. Additionally we don't use GMail or some other free service. We use our own domain name. This also means that we will have to pay our web designer to do this switch. The question is WHY do we need all this when the current solution is working quite well????

lady5563 DairyGirl
                As for previous posts, yes, it's a legit message. It is going to happen on March 1.
                I use the Google Suite for my email services, which uses my domain. It is just $5 a month per account and includes other services as well.

I use what is called imap to mirror in outlook what I can see my logging into web mail.

I use StorEdge which may be different, but I imagine it works close to the same way. They interact with my email, and when I look at my sent items all the messages show up no matter if it is in outlook or web mail.

Comment

I use the Google Suite for my email services, which uses my domain. It is just $5 a month per account and includes other services as well.

I use what is called imap to mirror in outlook what I can see my logging into web mail.

I use StorEdge which may be different, but I imagine it works close to the same way. They interact with my email, and when I look at my sent items all the messages show up no matter if it is in outlook or web mail.
                  Randy, sure it may be possible to do it six ways from Sunday. My point is why fixing something that isn't broken. You see, we will have to pay someone to do all this. Or, will SiteLink people reimburse us for that?

But speaking of which, I'm really close to jumping ship. Is that StorEdge software now owned by the same company that owns Site Link?

I hear that SiteLink was bought by some company. There sure is a change. I don't see that Australian guy on the forums here that used to threaten everyone. That's a welcoming change

If it was up to me I'd go back with a non-cloud software. Because I hate (ABSOLUTELY HATE) those updates that mess things up and take out features. Otherwise you install it once, don't have to pay monthly bill and don't have to worry that the next time you log in there will be some nasty "surprise."

Comment

Yes StorEdge was purchased by the same company that bought Site Link. I guess a more appropriate question for you is who do you use for email, and do they support imap ? I am not here to be in favor or against Site Link, but this is a minor change that likely won't effect your use of Outlook.

Comment

"NO, it doesn't mean just a few lines of info. We currently have all of our outbound emails stored in Outlook's "sent items" folder. If we switch to SMTP they will have to go through our email provider and bypass Outlook, thus we will not have a copy of what has been sent.'

Just as a note, you can set up a cc to go to your usual address and then it'll show up in Outlook. Set a rule in Outlook so that any incoming mails from yourself get put in your "Sent" folder automatically.

Comment

I haven't received any email about this, but our other location did. Like bnr_manager mentioned having to pay someone to do this for them, I will also have to pay to have our "IT" guy come out and do this for me. Yes, there are instructions, but I need to know it's done correctly. I know I can't do that.

Comment

At times I forget I am our IT guy and changes like this are very easy for me. But that is not the case for everyone. I can just report that the way StorEdge is setup to work, that everything still shows up in on my end. I am sure at some point here soon someone from SiteLink will post here explaining the change. I am actually kind of surprised someone hasn't already.

Comment

The changes that need to be done are quite simple and can be done in seconds . Here is my issue with it - none of my emails are showing in my sent folder any longer . So what does this mean ? I canít prove it was sent . The way around this is have a BCC sent to your inbox for all emails . Itís a PITA but it is your proof of email . I wasnít too happy about the change either because letís face it - Sitelink is not cheap .

Comment

At times I forget I am our IT guy and changes like this are very easy for me. But that is not the case for everyone. I can just report that the way StorEdge is setup to work, that everything still shows up in on my end. I am sure at some point here soon someone from SiteLink will post here explaining the change. I am actually kind of surprised someone hasn't already.
                              It sometimes bothers me that vendors post here . I got flack last summer over something I posted here and they called my office . I feel like this forum should be a place for us to be able to share our experiences with other managers and not have to take backlash from the vendors .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X