Returned check

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returned check

I have a tenant that rented her unit in August 2018. She has never moved into the unit nor ever put a lock on her unit. It's totally empty. She pays for her unit each month but in February her check came back for insufficient funds. I have called her (had to leave a voicemail), sent a verified letter and an email. She has totally ignored us. She now owes for March as well. I would like to evict her, but also need to recoup what she owes us. Can I evict her? She is currently locked out of the gate and we have a lock on her unit. Thanks.

If there is no lock and no response I'd move her out and eat the rent she didn't even use. And use that as a lesson that the lock MUST be put on before the tenant leaves the premises. You received rent for an unoccupied unit already, just cut your losses and move someone else in.
    90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

WA State

Comment

I second KrisinNC's opinion. Our lease states you must put a lock on your unit whether there is product inside or not. Have you checked to make sure they didn't just put a lock on another unit altogether? This has happened in the past.

The client doesn't care if you lock them out as they don't have anything that they need or have stored anyway.
      Tall Terri

The customer's fantasy doesn't always match with reality!

Comment

Agree with the others. Like @TallTerri stated, make sure she isn't using a different unit by accident. If all occupied units are accounted for, close this one and move on. Document everything about the unit being vacant w/o lock since the day of rental so she can't come back later and want her money back because "I never used the unit".
        Just out of curiosity...has her gate code ever been used?
        Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

In the 5+ years here I have had approx 10 tenants that rented units but never moved anything in. They can store "air" for all I care. When they rent a unit I "make" the tenant go thru both gates and drive to unit and put their new lock on the unit, no exceptions. It happens. People "need" a unit, they feel and then plans change overnight.
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X