Tenant dumpster?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant dumpster?

First of all, I want to thank everyone who gives me insight into how and what works for them. Now to my next question. I have a tenant who wants to have a dumpster here for his business. He says he will pay for the dumpster. I do not like the idea at all. First of all, I think that would be considered doing business out of a storage facility instead of just storing supplies, am I wrong? Also, I can see each one of the businesses renting here asking to have one for them. I would really appreciate knowing how you would handle the situation.
    Last edited by allsecure; 10th March 2019, 06:54 PM.

If you have the room and get the money for a year at a time, non refundable, for them and they have to deal with anyone who uses it when they are not allowed, do it, IMO. It depends on the space and how you are willing to define all parameters. It would be a BLOOD OATH from them, again IMO, that they deal with the idiots that use the dumpsters when they are not allowed. Must be in an out of the way place as well.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I have that scenario at one of my locations and it works perfectly fine.

In fact, my tenant pays for 2 dumpsters.
      They are located in the front parking lot BEFORE the entrance gate and they remain locked!

Tenant pays the bill monthly and it is worked into his storage account as a monthly fee.

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

I would imagine you could rent the space to them without an issue, but I would have it in writing that they are responsible for maintenance, and regular clean up of any unauthorized dumps resulting in furniture, garbage, debris and litter around the dumpster, and would insist they not overflow it before pick ups to keep it looking clean. It would also need to be out of the way and you want a copy of their service agreement with the waste management company. I would have them removed right away of they ever deviated from your agreement.
        You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Lots of variables here, but for my facility it'd be a hard no. I don't have anyplace to put the dumpsters, nor would I want to be the one to make sure that there is access for the truck when it comes to pick them up at 5am each week. I don't have any place for customers to leave trash, if I had a dumpster accessible it would be overflowing with people's discarded items. They would tell me they want their deposit back because their unit is empty, but in reality they've just moved it to a dumpster site and stacked trash and debris around it. I think you'll find that people will just leave things outside a locked dumpster thinking that's appropriate. In my opinion it's better to say no at the beginning than to "give it a try" and end up saying no later.

Secondly, I don't want businesses of any kind here, and clearly this is a business.

Lastly, all my units are behind gates, I don't want a trash truck on my facility banging dumpsters around, and the spaces outside the gates are for potential customers and visitor parking.
          Last edited by Storman; 11th March 2019, 02:17 PM.
          In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Everything is not for everybody.

In my case, it truly is a win-win.
            I have office trash, maybe one bag a week.
            I put it in the dumpster that my tenant pay's for!

There are times that I have to put bigger things in there and I just do that right before it gets picked up!
            Win/Win!
            Free/free!

Comment

Thank you all for your advice. I really thought more of you would say "No way". I have some thinking to do about this. And call waste management about this and see what they say. I worry about his employees coming in and out all day dumping trash. And I worry that others will want to put a dumpster here, we only have room for one more. Or that other renters will dump their trash in their bin and then we will have them mad because we did not stop them. I guess I worry about the what ifs.

Comment

We actually rent to a lot of businesses and have three or four that are paying for dumpsters. Hasn't been a problem so far, we just made it clear to them that it's not our problem if other tenants decide to use them as well.

Comment

We had a road crew that had a dumpster on site for a few years. It was a locking dumpster and the dumpster company had a key so no issues there. It was in the back of the property and we had no problem for the time they were here.
                  --
                  Ron

http://n6ach.com
                  http://laws.n6ach.com
                  ron.v@n6ach.com

Comment

Just remember this
                    You teach people the way to treat you.

I give respect because I expect it in return.
                    Every one of my tenants knows that the dumpster is NOT for them and God help them if I find they have even tried to use it.

The 2 dumpsters that I have remained locked as well.

Comment

No way. And I've honestly never heard of this type of arrangement before. If we had room for dumpsters other than our own, I'd much rather use that space for paid parking than to further the waste disposal business' profits. More concerning than that is the more dumpsters that are on the property, the more likelihood that entitled tenants will leave crap around them (or attempt to put prohibited items in them). I don't want our facility looking like a landfill.

I guess if your facility attracts a ton of commercial clients who will walk if they don't have a dumpster on the property (in 15 years of managing storage facilities, I've never been asked by a commercial client about having their own dumpster on the property), then you might need to consider it seriously, but otherwise, it's a "nope!" vote from me.

Comment

Seems like the more threads/posts I read and hear about problem tenants and problem situations and predicting problems, the word "entitlement" keeps coming up in some form or another. I predicted this entitlement problem sweeping across the nation a very long time ago and as predicted it has done exactly what I thought it would do and not necessarily RMRSS post above but many managers here, and owners, are starting or have taken a much harder stand against the crap that comes from the entitlement feeling of so many tenants, based off of what I read here when I stated in 2014.

I told my boss/owner and have even said it here that I want to market this facility as the most secure facility in town and make it so. That is the marketing I feel is needed here and at so many other facilities across the nation. The winds aren't changing, they have already changed and just this dumpster thread is a sign of tenants taking advantage and feeling their should be no repercussions or that they just don't care if there is.
                        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Thank you all for your insight about the dumpster. We have decided not to allow the tenant to have a dumpster. I really appreciate all of your wisdom and experience. In the end, the con's outweighed the pro's.

Comment

Speaking of dumpsters I just had to go out back and tell a lady who was inside our dumpster to get out of it. She has been here a couple of hours. She has a 5x5 unit here. Now a male just met her here. She says he is here to help her sort through her stuff. He was here yesterday and I did not see him get out of his car. He may have but I did not see him. Managing a storage facility is full of surprises!!!!

Comment

Yup, I personally think it is a good platform for you to earn more too. Have the dumpster assigned only to the exact renter who is paying the extra dumpster fees so as to disallow anyone else who is not paying from gaining access to it. Work out an agreement and make sure the renter adheres to it or risk having the dumpster being completely removed from your property.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X