Post Office Boxes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Office Boxes

One of our customers gave us her PO Box to send her mail. We have her ID with her street address but she asked us not to use that. I can only assume that there is some kind of trouble and she didn't want the street address used.

I put in her PO Box as the mailing address and then under 2nd contacts and notes I put the street address. If I didn't have an ID with a street address I wouldn't have rented to her. Ok?
    The future depends on what you do in the present.

Sounds good to me. My first facility INSISTED on a street address first and po box as alt. Very rarely did DL address match actual address because CA doesn't update the actual DL if you move-just a note in the computer/ Here it's not an issue.
    90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

WA State

Comment

I use either but the actual home address for anything mailed because at that point it would be in lien. Every other notice is sent email. Only one tenant did not want lien notice sent to home address and I said it will be that or they move out. Still here. I did tell them I would send lien notice to both the home address and a P.O. Box but then it is double on any charges from doing that.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

There are areas here where the post office doesn't deliver to the home, so they all have to pick up their mail from their PO Box. Also here is another scenario , let's say there is a husband or wife that is getting it because of domestic issues.

We want their legal mailing address, which a PO box is fine for or ever required in some cases.

Comment

I had a PO Box because I lived in a rural area and the mail would be stolen. I didn't even have a mail box for the mail to be delivered in. The PO box was my legal mailing address. I would send it to the one she wants it to go to.
          Janice - Maxi-Space Storage and Business Solutions

Comment

Not saying one way or the other but giving a possible reason as it's happened to me in the past.. The lady in my situation did not want her husband knowing she had a storage unit which is why she did not want anything going to her main address.

Comment

I have no problem using a P.O. Box as a mailing address as long as you have a valid ID with a physical address. Sometimes people don't want their spouse to know they have a storage unit for one reason or another. I won't refuse a rental because someone has questionable extra curricular activities.
              A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Comment

The only problem I see with this situation is if the tenant gets behind on her rent. If your state requires you to mail notices to both the primary and secondary address on file, then mail would end up going to her physical address. Since she did ask you not to use her ID address, I'm presuming she didn't provide that address on her lease. If this is the case, you may want to consider removing the second address from your computer system, but red flag her file to triple check it before any auction proceedings.
                Gina 6k
                twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
                VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
                storagebizhelp@gmail.com

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
                I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

I think that is perfectly fine because it is not as if you do not have a street address at all. If anything unwanted were to take place in the future down the road, at least you still have a backup address to direct your notices to. The actual reason behind why she doesn't want you to use her street address is obviously personal but that is a different situation to handle on a different day.
                  Cameron Robertson - Self Storage Northern Beaches

Comment

Fine, we can set the main mailing address as a PO Box but then we require an "Emergency Contact" at a different address in case we lose touch with them. WE let them know that is where any legal notices will be mailed and it is up to them to ensure we have an accurate address. If they don't and we lose touch and it is unpaid, then your things can be sold at a lien sale. Put the requirement on them and you are covered.

Comment

Originally posted by Willar View Post
                      Fine, we can set the main mailing address as a PO Box but then we require an "Emergency Contact" at a different address in case we lose touch with them. WE let them know that is where any legal notices will be mailed and it is up to them to ensure we have an accurate address. If they don't and we lose touch and it is unpaid, then your things can be sold at a lien sale. Put the requirement on them and you are covered.
                      The lease should say that and they initial that they understand. Mine does. Plus I cover it verbally during the rent process.
                      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

We have been having a lot of people selling their homes, buying a travel trailer or RV, then living in it for 2-3 years until they buy a new house or have one built. So PO Box is the only address. No issues here, we accept either, and state required certified to be sent to the last known address on file, doesn't say it must be a physical address.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X