$100,000 items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $100,000 items

Good morning all. I had a gentleman come in yesterday and said that he has over 100,000 dollars worth of tools that he wants to store, BECAUSE.... the woman he lived with sold a lot of them, destroyed his property and his daughter, who lives in another town, also sold some and sold a lot of his expensive gun collection. He says he has a lawyer now and that they will both be prosecuted. I told him I didnt want guns stored but he assured me they are all gone because they were stolen and sold on him. He wasnt ready to commit to the unit yesterday and said his lawyer would be renting it for him. But I told him that I would have to think about this as I do not want any trouble with people trying to find his tools to steal and sell. What are your thoughts on this? He was like 80 years old and seemed very sincere but his family has been stealing from him for so long, I am concerned they will find out his stuff is at my facility and looking down the road, what if he passes.. will his daughter be right here trying to get his things? They whole thing seems fishy to me.. I am so looking forward to you knowledgeable replies.
    "A Dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself".

If it wasn't for family troubles I wouldn't rent as many units.

We get spouses trying to separate items from each other all the time.

Comment

So Randy, would you rent to him?

Comment

It's possible what he's told you is true. It's also possible he just THINKS that's what's going on. My policy is to not rent a unit to someone FOR someone else, unless the person renting the unit has POA for the person needing the unit. I get that he's trying to hide his stuff from family, but even if they find out he has a unit there, they can't get access to it by anyone other than the tenant. If the tenant dies, his unit sits there until a court appoints an administrator/executor. And IF his tools are truly worth that much money, I'd require proof of insurance so he, or the attorney, can't come back at some point and say his unit had been broken into and some are missing. This whole situation sounds...off. I'd stay away from it.
        Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

I have that much money in tools in one of my units. They are my tools from a previous career and my brother will get them when I pass.

In this case I would rent the unit to the attorney only if he has legal authority to take care of the items for the owner, 80 year old man.

Am wondering why you said you wouldn't store the guns? Afraid they will fire themselves because they are evil "black guns"? I would appreciate an honest answer on this question. I happen to know for a fact that guns don't shoot unless they are fired by a human being. Any reasonable person knows this. It is the quality of the person that dictates how the gun is used.
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

"Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet him"

Comment

Hi Pac, As far as guns go, I guess what I meant is that I would be hesitant to store a huge selection of guns and if I did decide I certainly wouldnt want ammo with them in the same unit. I guess if someone has insurance on them, or they could buy our insurance it would be fine. I just do not want any trouble with people finding out and trying to break in to find guns. Also good point about the attorney.. The whole thing sounds fishy to me and I am anxious to see if in fact his lawyer does show up here to inquire about a unit. I will keep you updated. Thanks all.

Comment

Ok. Your comment was "did not want to store guns" and did not say anything about a collection. Collections can be small or big. I would have no problem storing them and even the ammo as well. Like I said it takes a stupid person, someone who has nefarious ideas, to take a gun and put ammo in it and use it for the wrong reason. How do you feel about storing knives, swords, baseball bats, pry bars, hatchets, axes.......etc. Just as deadly in the wrong hands.

Check out the 21' rule for a person that is carrying a gun against a person carrying a knife.

I have people here that have valuable comic book collections. Different types of collections can all be valuable and tempting to any idiot out there that wants to try to break in to a self storage facility.

Comment

I tel people nothing explosive/corrosive can be stored during lease presentation. I'm sure there is tons of ammo in the units and I could care less honestly. Long as they're not going about bragging what they have in a unit that could encourage someone to want to break in it's none of my business. But on the flip side there was a facility in Fresno, CA that caught fire last month and ended up being a bigger fire due to the fact ammo was in a unit and being set off from the fire so firefighters couldn't act in a normal procedure.

Comment

Pac I have no feelings towards guns one way or another.

Comment

I was only reacting to what was posted. That is why I started to ask questions.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                      Am wondering why you said you wouldn't store the guns? Afraid they will fire themselves because they are evil "black guns"? I would appreciate an honest answer on this question. I happen to know for a fact that guns don't shoot unless they are fired by a human being. Any reasonable person knows this. It is the quality of the person that dictates how the gun is used.
                      We "don't allow" them to be stored here because in the event of a lien sale, we haven't met the NRS requirements to resell the firearms. At least that is what I've been told. It wouldn't be a "personal" sale, it's a lien sale, and we don't do the process for that. **shrugs**

We always let people know when they are picking up lien sale unit contents after auction that cars, boats, aircraft and guns that are found in the unit were not included in the sale because NRS requirements have not been met. I have yet to have anyone turn in firearms, though, so I know they must be keeping them. Considering I live in "rural" Nevada I would almost bet at least half of my units contain firearms lol.
                      Kristy Olney
                      Self Storage Ninja/Resident Manager
                      Stor-All Gardnerville
                      Gardnerville, NV
                      https://www.storall.biz/self-storage...le/industrial

“Should you find a wise critic to point out your faults, follow him as you would a guide to hidden treasure.” The Buddha

Comment

Your disclaimer covers you and of course I would have the buyer sign saying they have been told. The buyer of guns in an auction can then either keep the gun and that in and of itself means the buyer is the "illegal" owner or possessor of the firearm. If they want to be legal all they have to do is take the gun in to an FFL and show they bought in an auction and then go thru a background check, just like buying any gun, and if the background check on the buyer and the gun comes back clean, then all is good. If the gun comes back bad for any reason, the FFL is to confiscate it and typically calls the county authorities and they come pick the gun up.

Comment

On the rare occasion i've seen guns in plain view upon lock cuts we have taken pictures, removed them and called local police to claim them. If the buyer wants the weapons they can go through the police, if the tenant pays up and wants their guns they can do the same.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X