A tale of two customer interactions at the ISS show, lock suppliers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A tale of two customer interactions at the ISS show, lock suppliers

One of my goals at the ISS Expo this year was to look for another lock supplier. I've posted on SST my concerns over having too many experiences with customers inadvertently using their key on the wrong unit and having the lock open. They lift up the door, my alarms fire and they see it's not their stuff before I arrive at the unit. It's uncomfortable to explain to them that I have no idea why their key opened that lock, but I'M SURE the lock I sold them is safe..... yeah, that's a tough one. I never ordered keyed alike, all the model numbers of the locks I have in inventory don't indicate keyed alike, so I'm at a loss. I just cross my fingers that it doesn't happen, but it has. Too many times.

So, back to the story...

I visited a booth that sold locks. A name you would recognize. I was approached by a representative and the first thing I said with a smile was "Hello, I want to register a complaint, in the past I've bought your locks exclusively and will likely continue to do so, but your website will not allow an Apple computer to access it. I don't know why in 2019 your site isn't browser based so any computer with an internet connection can order your product, it's extremely frustrating"

Their reply: "I'm a programmer for this company, and I hate Macs"

Me: "Well could you please push my complaint upstream so that they know there are people looking elsewhere for locks just because your website won't play nice with an Apple computer?"

Them: "I have, it won't matter"

OK then. I'm officially done with this supplier. I'm not a huge customer, but I'm a customer. I'll have to find someone else before my next big order. Even if they fixed this stupid website issue today, I'm not going back. When your product is suspect and your customer interaction is terrible, no sense hanging around.

As I wound around the trade show getting all sorts of great info about the new technologies and touching base and shaking hands with old friends and vendors, I came across another lock supplier. I approached them and said "I'm done with <company> as my lock supplier, can you guys compete with their pricing for similar quality?"

Him: "yep, we have a great selection, and our prices are actually cheaper, let me show you and walk you through our product catalog" Proceeds to spend 15 minutes with me chatting about locks, their business, the differences between the products, pricing, answering questions, listening to my concerns, etc. From what I can tell, their locks are IDENTICAL to <company>, and are likely made in the same factories.

The difference is their people and their fully functional website that anybody with a connected device can connect to. The thing is, I can't get on to <companies> website and check their pricing to see how much cheaper they are, but at this point I don't care. I'd pay more not to deal with <company>, and that's the bottom line.

For those looking for a lock supplier, check out MoveNStore.com, I was impressed.
    In no way affiliated with Storman software.

MoveNStore is where I get my Abus disc locks from.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I took to look at MoveNStore website. They don't have prices on anything unless you create a username and password. This is an instant turn off for me. They lost my potential business before it started.

Comment

You can get a catalog of what they offer mailed to you and the pricing is in there. You know, old school.

Comment

In their defense, when you are selling a wholesale price product which your retailers will mark up and resell, hiding the pricing from the general public is common practice. It protects you as a retailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkey View Post
            I took to look at MoveNStore website. They don't have prices on anything unless you create a username and password. This is an instant turn off for me. They lost my potential business before it started.
            I picked up a MoveNStore catalog at the trade show, all prices listed. For me, I can't access <companies> website for pricing unless I use the facility computer (the only PC I own), which I NEVER use to go onto the internet for security reasons. So, we're in opposite boats.

Comment

Storman, if she hasn't retired yet, ask for Patty if you call in an order. She's a gem and the best customer service rep ever!
              Gina 6k
              twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
              VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
              storagebizhelp@gmail.com

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
              I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

Patty has retired about a year ago. She is who I always dealt with too and she was great. Now I deal with Penny.

Comment

I used to be a PC guy and got tired of having a different issue to resolve every day. I switched to MAC and never looked back!! It really bothers me when companies say they dont cater to MAC's or hate apple, etc... I wish sitelink was MAC friendly

Comment

What was shocking was that you can't access <their> WEB PAGE with a browser! It's not as if it's a web based database or something more involved, for heaven's sake it's a website for selling cheap Chinese locks. I thought I was back in 1985 trying to look at a WordPerfect doc from an IBM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I know what vendor you are talking about, I buy from them too. And it's not just a Mac issue. I tried to purchase 500 locks and 50 stainless latches from them this morning from a PC, and get get their site to work using Chrome, Firefox, or Internet Explorer. It does however work with my Mac using Firefox.

I can't imagine how many sales they are losing due to their insistence to stay with Flash. Flash is dead. Move on.

I'll either order later over the web or call them, but if I were a first time customer I would just move on to a different supplier.

Comment

Yep, Flash is dead. Maybe someone from <company> will see this thread.

Comment

I have sold "assumed" retail locks for many decades. I have had so many issues the last 5 years with faulty locks. Keys break off or all of a sudden won't work. I have been meaning to contact the company to see if others have had issues.

Comment

Originally posted by JulieA View Post
                            I have sold "assumed" retail locks for many decades. I have had so many issues the last 5 years with faulty locks. Keys break off or all of a sudden won't work. I have been meaning to contact the company to see if others have had issues.
                            In all likelihood the company will not volunteer any issues with locks sold to other companies. The standard comeback is usually that this is the first they have heard of that problem, no matter what the problem is. "The company line" so to speak. Been there and done that. Typically you will get push back until you tell them you will find another lock supplier/manufacturer for the future. I love the ABUS German made locks but every now and then I come across one that will have a slight catch to it inserting the key or turning the key. I use a stiff wire brush and clean the key cuts and de-burr the cuts. Then all is good. It happens and I don't feel the need to complain about it as of yet. If it gets to the point of having to do it all the time, then they will get a call.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X