Vetting Contractors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vetting Contractors

How do you vet contractors for long-term or one-time projects?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

We look into the reputation of the company either online or through other means, we also require proof of insurance and contractors license.

Comment

Depends on the job- I currently don't vet anyone because we have a vendor coordinator who takes care of all the properties needs. But I used to manage apartments. If its a big job, I would ask for a quote, 3 references from previous clients, see what kind of warranty they affer,and made sure they were properly licensed bonded and insured.If its something minor I would get at least 3 quotes from different vendors and go with the one who would do the most work for the least amount of cost.ALWAYS get them to put exactly what they will do in writing down to the last penny.
      You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

For smaller, maintenance type jobs, I've found that if you find someone you like and treats you fair, then you continue to use them. You can waste a lot of time getting vendors to give you a bid. Now if it's a large job, then I might get a few bids, but I usually go by reputation.

Comment

Most of our vendors are someone that our property management company has used on jobs for other properties they manage. The only exception is my gate vendor. I got their name from the, now former, manager of another facility.
          Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Storman
            Reply to The dangers of those rental trucks in the wrong hands
            by Storman
            I'm sure it was bad, but I couldn't watch that video for more than 10 seconds. I need a dramamine.
            Today, 12:16 AM
          • Orkocean
            Reply to new to storage
            by Orkocean
            My father didn't talk about his vietnam days, all I know is he was a gunner in heli's and per my mother telling me stories as a kid he had 2 guns when most had one.. *shrug*... As far as my brother i'm not sure what his role was on the ship, it was late 90's early 2000's timeframe and I recall he went...
            Yesterday, 08:19 PM
          • MamaDuke
            Reply to new to storage
            by MamaDuke
            My father was on the flight deck of the Kitty Hawk during Vietnam. Squadron, vf-213 F4's.

Small world!...
            Yesterday, 08:01 PM
          Working...
          X