Getting rid of "non-tenant"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting rid of "non-tenant"

I'm sure I've come across this topic and probably even commented with "you need to overlock the unit", but now it's happened to me and I'm at a loss.
    Woman comes in yesterday (I'm very familiar with her as she is a former tenant - I'll call her K), to pay on her parent's unit. She informs me: 1. the actual tenant, her mother, died 2 years ago, and 2. her father, who had been paying for the unit, died just this past January. I had no idea of either. So, K and her daughter C, have been storing their stuff in the unit and daddy has been paying. K was in to pay the rent for the month because she had to let me know dad died. She asked if I could put the unit in her name. I said no. She had 2 units here previously; one she moved out of owing money, the other was lost at auction. So, no, I'm not renting to you. (Fun fact about K; she's the woman my former employee wanted hired instead of me...I posted about him in the "conflicts" topic a few days ago). She, conveniently, doesn't remember anything about what happened to her units. She said she does have paperwork naming her as administrator, but apparently, it also names her sister. I've never heard of that and think that would be super confusing when trying to deal with something like this. Anyway, I said since the sister can't be here to sign off on K putting the unit in her name, I told her it would be best if she just vacated. I said I'd take the rent she was there to pay, but she had to be out by 6/15. My thinking is this...I have 2 people, K & C, using the unit, with no lease on either. Yes, I could have locked them out and overlocked the unit, but my goal is to get them out. I should have given her a lease termination notice yesterday but didn't. Should I just go ahead and send one now just to make sure I'm covered? I know I don't have to put a reason for the termination, but I think it would be better if I did. What do I say other than "tenant deceased"?
    Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

I spoke with the managers of our other facility and they said to give her a chance to actually vacate the unit. If she isn't vacated by the 15th, have a lease termination notice ready to give her if/when she comes in to pay. I've put as the reason for the termination "tenant deceased and current occupant(s) must vacate the unit and premises". I will also mail one at that time to the address/tenant named on the lease.

Comment

I would send the termination and state that it is because of past history when she was a tenant at the facility. Document, document, document. Stand your ground and get her gone. It is obvious you don't want her there so why drag it out. The lease is set up that way for a reason.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Tenants, or should I say occupants, are gone. Checked the unit this morning and while they left me a mattress and some empty boxes, at least they are gone and I don't have to deal with them anymore. Her 'non-payment' issues are someone else's problem now. Haha
        I will say, though, for a 10x15 unit, they sure had a lot of stuff in there. Twice-daily trips every day last week with a small-ish flatbed trailer FULL of stuff.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• tandrle
          Reply to Powered stalls
          by tandrle
          Good feedback, I really like the Levitons and could see putting automation in place to handle it. I could use If this then that to turn on or off the outlet. The drawback is that the outlets all have a manual option to turn it on. I think using IFTTT can just shut it off it detected every 5 min or...
          Today, 03:36 PM
        • Steve_hajewski
          Reply to Powered stalls
          by Steve_hajewski
          I have some of them on my property. Each on a separate 20 amp breaker. I charge a $20 per month premium for the power. I have an automated kiosk for rentals but those units are blocked off in the management software so that you need to meet me to rent them.

So far those units have been...
          Today, 03:15 PM
        • KrisinNC
          Reply to Powered stalls
          by KrisinNC
          That seems like a great idea-though place them somewhere they won't get damaged when a senior citizen inevitably knocks into one side of the other. I've had many phone calls for powered spaces so they can run dehumidifiers or a trickle charge for their battery....
          Today, 03:04 PM
        Working...
        X