On Site Manager Responsibilities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Site Manager Responsibilities

The company I work for owns a facility with 370 units. The On Site Manager is usually only busy during the first part of the month collecting payments, etc. We use storEdge along with a PTI gate coded system.
    My question is how much responsibility do you give your managers? We had one lady for over 15 years who did every bit of maintenance along with managing the front office. We did find that when she started climbing the roof at a such a mature age that she needed a Maintenance guy part time for liability purposes. Since then we have hired a young lady, she would also like to have a Maintenance man to take care of the grounds, cleaning out units, etc. Shouldn't those responsibilities fall on the On Site Manager, except for large projects? Thank you for your guidance.

In my company, we do not have any maintenance person for any of the properties.

The managers do it all.
    They rent and clean the units as well as keeping the property trash free and such.

For any bigger job, we hire an outside vendor.

Now in my previous employment, I ran 2 locations.
    The 1st property had 744 units
    and the
    The 2nd property had 1,000.
    Each of these locations I did have a part-time maintenance person who would assist in the daily cleaning of everything.
    If that person happened to have that day off, cleaning responsibilities still fell to us to do.
    It was in our job description when we were hired.

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

How about power washing? We bought all new equipment and supplies for her to wash the outside of the units.

Comment

I don't have a maintenance person so I do most of the maintenance at my property...sweeping/cleaning of units (that includes emptying units of trash/other items left behind by tenants or that didn't sell at auction), trash pickup, gate maintenance, light tree trimming. That kind of thing. I don't like to ask for help so I do as much as I can. Anything that would require me to climb on a roof or a high ladder...nope. Property management can send someone over for that.
        Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

As a resident manager I have my duties of running the office, answering calls, renting units, keeping office clean, showing units, managing inventory, managing facility scheduling for any contractors and cleaning units if are needed for a rental. I have a part time maint man that is here 2 days a week for 5 hours each day. He does all the grounds work, landscaping, cleaning units, water leak repair, door repair....etc.

I think ANY facility that does not have at least a part time maint man is keeping the manager from doing what they do best when away from the office..... getting people to the facility and renting units. I hate to call any business and get a voice message. I would miss a lot of calls and rental chances if I was away from the office too much.
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by Connelly Management View Post
            How about power washing? We bought all new equipment and supplies for her to wash the outside of the units.
            I would not be responsible for any power washing of anything.
            We would absolutely hire an outside vendor for power washing.
            Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Shoot-I only have part time maintenance as well. I clean the bathrooms, sweep, pick up trash, make sure carts are returned, vacuum, rent units, collections etc. If there is something 'maintenance' needed I leave a note for whichever maintenance guy comes in on the weekend.
              90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

WA State

Comment

You may think your manager is only busy at month end but I would guess you are under estimating how much is being done. Answering emails ( and more and more people refuse to use the phone, emails are time consuming and usually involve emailing back and forth several times). Answering the phone and taking payments over the phone as well as ledger inquiries, changes to their preauthorized payments, and other accounting questions . Companies wanting to change their billing emails ,billing questions etc. Rental inquiries by phone, email and walk ins. Collections , keeping tenants updated that their credit cards are expiring or have expired. Processing move outs, keep the office clean, keeping the washrooms clean, keeping the windows clean. Dealing with computers crashing, software programs not working or going down, calling credit card companies and call centres and being put on hold for an hour. Keeping your social media active, checking competitors pricing and hours etc. I totally agree with everything Pawn just said. I refuse to do ALL the maintenance. I have someone a couple times a week here to help.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                  As a resident manager I have my duties of running the office, answering calls, renting units, keeping office clean, showing units, managing inventory, managing facility scheduling for any contractors and cleaning units if are needed for a rental. I have a part time maint man that is here 2 days a week for 5 hours each day. He does all the grounds work, landscaping, cleaning units, water leak repair, door repair....etc.

I think ANY facility that does not have at least a part time maint man is keeping the manager from doing what they do best when away from the office..... getting people to the facility and renting units. I hate to call any business and get a voice message. I would miss a lot of calls and rental chances if I was away from the office too much.
                  Completely agree with everything you have stated.

Comment

There have been times when I could not get to the phone and the caller actually left a message. I called them back and was told they found a unit at another facility. That is even with a great set up like I have here. I will always say that a facility manager of any type needs to do what they are hired for.....managing the facility. Maintenance should be done by people that do just that....maintenance.

Except for the city and state politics and absurd wanna be gun laws here, I have a fantastic set up but if they said they were getting rid of the maint man and I was now going to do it all, well I would give notice and find another facility that wants a manager and not a manager/maint man. I get soc sec now and have saved diligently and can survive and move where I want till I find the right spot.

I know this will never happen but I would bet that no owner that reads this would accept my offer of telling me how I am wrong with this thinking. Of course the size of the facility and the facility set up itself makes a difference and of course what the manager/maint man agreed to at hiring but IMO this does not play to the strong suit to have a manager away from the office unless absolutely needed or there is a "Jeff Foxworthy" you might be a redneck moment happening at the back of the facility and you just have to go see it.

Comment

Or, God forbid, the snow has caused the ceiling to begin to cave (raises hand). Or the gate breaks down. or or or.
                      90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

WA State

Comment

I'm a firm believer in everyone should be able to do everything, cleaning, renting/sales, collections, marketing etc.. As far as maintenance geared items anywhere I have been it's been a "if it's in your wheelhouse" situation. If you are knowledgeable and comfortable enough to make minor repairs and have the time to do so, then go ahead. I've worked on gates, roofs, dismantled units, camera/dvr's, snow removal, pressure washing, pretty much anything and everything at some point or another.

These are things i've learned over the years from qualified vendors and feel comfortable doing. Now does this mean I should always be the one doing these things? Definately not, you have to learn to delagate and think about costs versus time. Is it worth saving a couple hundred bucks in vendor costs or extra payroll to have your manager out working on maintenance or landscaping? If you have a slow site where everythings on point, full and not bad delinquency then your manager has extra time on their hands i'm sure. If you don't have a facility that's rolling on its on though and need marketing, collection and strong sales efforts being put in then you are hurting yourself by taking your manager away from those efforts. My last company one of my sites was 1,000 unit, 4 location *3 being satellite lots* and I was always dumbfounded by the owner who thought my place being the site manager and highest paid person was out on the grounds handling basic cleaning and such since I was the only male of the 4 workers. While 2 of the girls would just sit in the office all day burning customer after customer out the door with their lack of sales skills and the other girl would be running around trying to do all the office items herself and burning herself out. I enjoy being hands on and tackling what I can when I have the time to save costs on the P+L reports but you got to know when you are doing a bigger disservice to your site by making the manager tackle things that can be delegated elsewhere.

Comment

You need a maintenance person, or hire out those jobs. No employee ever should be on a ladder without a spotter/second person present. OSHA requirements. Also, you can't just presume your manager has nothing to do. Yes, there are slow days, some very slow days each month. But there's also filing, banking, late tenant calls, auction processing procedures etc. And if the job at your property is truly so simple, then consider installing a kiosk and an outside maintenance company and just remotely run the place yourself. There are so many variables to consider that a simple answer won't suffice.

To specifically address a couple of your points; broom cleaning a VACANT unit, yes, your manager should be able to do that. If someone cherry picks a unit and leaves it 90% full then the answer is no. If there's a path or sidewalk you'd like to keep swept, yes, the manager can do that. The manager shouldn't be expected to plant flowers, mow lawns, pull weeds etc. I hope this helps somewhat. If it's a 10-15 minute task that entails no risk for the person, then it should not be a problem to handle a broom, grab a shovel and pick up some doggy do, or hose off a sidewalk entrance. Anything more involved should be looked at more in depth. I'd have to agree with your manager that she could use a part time maintenance person.
                          Last edited by Gina6k; 16th May 2019, 11:16 PM.
                          Gina 6k
                          twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
                          VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
                          storagebizhelp@gmail.com

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
                          I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

We have 2 facilities. The first and largest has 723 units, am auto shop, a cafe, 6 apartments, 10 "mini offices" and 11 storefronts. I also take payments for the aircraft hangars and other rentals the bosses own. The other facility is an indoor, heated location with 1 apartment and 121 units. We have someone who cleans units and restrooms, etc. twice a week and a handful of people who can do maintenance as needed, they also take care of mowing. We have a landscaping company who does weed-eating for us. I do all things office related, and the boss helps with calls, and the financial end of things. She also deals with the evictions and asshole tenants who I can't get thru to & need a little reminder from the owner that they don't make the rules, she does....Both owners are very hands-on. It gets pretty busy around here, so I'm very, very thankful for the help!
                            AmyLou

Comment

I wonder if becoming a "certified" self storage manager addresses how they should handle being asked by an owner to step out of the office and go do roof repairs and landscaping and door repairs.....etc. Like I said, it makes perfect sense to have a manager clean out a needed rental unit or address anything that just can't wait if it is in their wheelhouse but again, IMO, maint work needs to be done by a qualified maint person and never expect that maint person to talk to a possible tenant about a rental or access hours or lease guidelines......etc.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X