Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Hello! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk! Please be patient with us as registration make take longer to process around the holidays. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Time Savers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Savers

What's your best time-saving tip that has helped you during the work day?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Owning a battery powered small blower to help clean out units with.

I also think anyone who uses auto pay saves me a lot of time.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

We are such a smoothly-running property that we would prefer things take MORE time! We spend a good amount of time with nothing going on and nothing to be done. That can make the days drag on.
      MamaDuke

Comment

yeah, what MamaDuke said!
        Esp in the summer!
        "I don't understand your specific kind of crazy but I do admire your total commitment to it!"

Comment

Originally posted by MamaDuke View Post
          We are such a smoothly-running property that we would prefer things take MORE time! We spend a good amount of time with nothing going on and nothing to be done. That can make the days drag on.
          Please share...what tips/tricks/processes help or make your facility run so smoothly! Appreciate any input.

Comment

Originally posted by blazer View Post
            yeah, what MamaDuke said!
            Esp in the summer!
            Same as above...please share any tips/tricks/processes that help make your facility run so smoothly.

Comment

Staying organized. Creating checklists as guides to ensure that daily tasks are completed before the end of the day and of course setting calendar reminders. I'm a huge fan of checklists, Currently I have several that just hang on my wall as reminders, since I do these things daily I have them memorized but the visual of a checklist helps me on days when I have lots to do or am feeling overwhelmed/ busy.

Comment

Originally posted by PKStorage View Post

Please share...what tips/tricks/processes help or make your facility run so smoothly! Appreciate any input.
                We stay at about 96% occupancy with delinquencies at about less than 1%. We have 4 employees: 3 full-time and 1 part-time.

We have nothing available larger than a 6x9. We have about a 2-year waiting list for drive-up units. So we daily turn people away when they are looking for medium to large units or those that will only accept a drive-up.

So, we don't have time-saving procedures in place as they are not necessary.

When I have worked busier properties, we had step-by-step opening, rental, collections, and closing procedures printed out in a binder in the office. This helped to ensure that steps weren't missed and that everyone followed the same procedures. When you do each thing the same way every time, it becomes quick and easy. And with the procedures in writing at our fingertips, training new employees is easy, and any employee can step in and complete a task at any point.

We also had different tasks to be done on different days, weeks, monthly, etc. For example, lock-checks and collections calls daily; walk-throughs weekly; dust doors and update expiring credit cards monthly; auctions quarterly; confirmation of Auto-pay lists and info every 6 months (just making sure the forms for each customer are up-to-date), and so forth.

MamaDuke

Comment

What has helped us is having procedures written down for everything we do. The office staff has lists of what needs to be done daily, weekly, monthly etc. We deal with everything as it comes up so there is never a backlog of stuff to deal with. The only exception to that is our auctions are a little behind right now, we have been having problems with our auctioneer and are switching to online auctions so we are in the process of figuring that out and streamlining our procedure. We are mostly full and during the summer we are very slow. Our summerís here are like most peopleís winter, its too hot to do anything so we donít have a lot of traffic in the office during the summer. We will get busier again towards the end of August. Like MamaDuke, all our people know what to do so anyone can step in at any time, with the exception of a few manager functions. We also have very good people that do their best to help the customer and actually do their job. Itís very hard to find people like that!!!
                  "I don't understand your specific kind of crazy but I do admire your total commitment to it!"

Comment

Thanks for all of the info folks.

I'm a very process driven person (live by to-do lists), and glad to see your facilities are run with strict processes/procedures and that's the reasoning you attest the "smoothness" to.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KrisinNC
                      Reply to fence climber
                      by KrisinNC
                      Also restrict her to office hours for access-if she has a code, lock it out when you go home and activate it when you come in-and send her a letter and email to tell her that you're doing it and why....
                      Today, 01:38 PM
                    • ckpa11
                      Reply to fence climber
                      by ckpa11
                      That's what I thought would be in the replies. Thanks. This person also wrecked her car and without asking just had a friend tow it in and drop it. She has not asked about paying for parking, nor do I want her to. So, I guess I am just a storage yard for wrecked vehicles too. I gave her notice to have...
                      Today, 01:11 PM
                    • AngelaESSTX
                      Reply to fence climber
                      by AngelaESSTX
                      Exactly what evets said. Depending on your state's laws, I would hand her a 3 day notice for non-renewal....
                      Today, 01:01 PM
                    Working...
                    X