Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Hello! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk! Please be patient with us as registration make take longer to process around the holidays. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

What is your average number of delinquent (locked up) accounts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your average number of delinquent (locked up) accounts?

There is an interesting discussion here concerning waiving late fees. But now I'm wondering, what percentage, or just the raw number of units on average that you have delinquent (or locked up) in your facility?

Ours as of today: 23 locked up out of 700 total units. (Not mailboxes.)

17 out of 605 red locked. Usually we don't have this many, but for some reason the last 3 months we have had a lot of people struggling to pay on time.
    You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post
      17 out of 605 red locked. Usually we don't have this many, but for some reason the last 3 months we have had a lot of people struggling to pay on time.
      That's not bad. 2.8% is lower than our 3.2%.

Comment

20 locked out of 1264 units.
        MamaDuke

Comment

As of the 10th, when the late fee was added and units locked out, I had 8 units out of 600+.
          Last edited by pacnwstorage; 26th July 2019, 03:42 PM.
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

12 OF 500. highest it has been in a while.

Comment

Hey, you guys are good. Although I just realized that this is probably not a good metric to ask it this way -- no one with bad collection numbers will post them here

Comment

Originally posted by bnr_manager View Post
                Hey, you guys are good. Although I just realized that this is probably not a good metric to ask it this way -- no one with bad collection numbers will post them here
                Trust me. When I took over here the average receivables at end of month was between $8000 and $10,000. Late fees credit all the time. I took over and let tenants know that after another full month that practice of crediting late fees was stopping. Now I average from $0.00 to $300.00 a month. No one is ever motivated to pay on time when the fees get credited all the time.

Comment

Just took over this site last month so still working to get everyone re-trained. Our first auction since taking over wont be until mid August to clear out the leftover trash from prior management that they never dealt with. Oh and anniversary billing so numbers are pretty different versus a typical first of month site but as of this moment 51 out of 419 past due, 31 of them 10 days or less.

Comment

10 of 186 as it sits right now. Two of those are over 30 days. I have a few customers that don't answer the phone or return a text. They stop in or call when they feel like it or when I send the "your stuff will be sold next week" message and they pay me two months rent plus all the late fees that have added up and they start the cycle all over again. Even though I don't waive the fees, I have my habitual late payers.

I'm not in a wealthy part of town. Once in a while I'll have a customer disappear without a trace and eventually be auctioned. I typically end the month with 3-5% delinquency.

One of my disappearing customer's, we'll call him "Chip", showed up early June, I saw him on camera enter his code (which was suspended the day before) at the back gate. He drove towards the front entrance. After a couple minutes, I realized he wasn't stopping in the office, so I called him. Phone is out of service and he doesn't reply to e-mails. That was the last time I saw him. He is now 55 days late.
                    Last edited by Merman; 26th July 2019, 06:37 PM.
                    A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Comment

Yeah, Orkocean and Merman this is more like us here. I agree with pacnwstorage though that it all depends on who you rent to. If all someone needs to rent a storage unit is a heartbeat then we'll have the same collection numbers as you described.

Comment

2.5% -4.5% usually. At the end of the month I can get it in the 2's, but at the beginning of the month it can get to almost 6-I beat the tenants like pinatas all month long..lol
                        Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

When can each of you red lock a unit, other wise denigh access In Indiana we are not supposed to legally denigh access until 30 days, that is when the lien takes place. We auction or dispose of at 90 days.
                          Dave (Woodee) Scott

Comment

We lock out and late fee on the morning of the 10th but according to Oregon statutes I can lock out the 2nd if I want.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Scott View Post
                              When can each of you red lock a unit, other wise denigh access In Indiana we are not supposed to legally denigh access until 30 days, that is when the lien takes place. We auction or dispose of at 90 days.
                              We red-lock on Day 7, 6 day 'late period', day 7 red-lock and late fee. BOOM.
                              Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ckpa11
                                fence climber
                                by ckpa11
                                This tenant has been pushing the limits since she came in. After reviewing gate activity and cameras from last night, I see her car pull out and sit in front of the gate then in a few minutes she walks down the lot and CLIMBS over the fence to get out since the lockout gate hours started. Now, she knows...
                                Today, 12:30 PM
                              • Merman
                                Reply to Customer expects facility to move him
                                by Merman
                                I'm gonna laugh if today she says a big round boulder chased her through the property....
                                Today, 12:23 PM
                              • Merman
                                Reply to Auction on Storage Unit with a Boat
                                by Merman
                                In AZ, for regular units, if they don't sell at auction and/or the winner is a no show, you can sell the unit outright as a manager special or other method that is no longer a lien sale. I don't know if vehicles work the same way. I would follow up with the company lawyer and see if you can title...
                                Today, 12:20 PM
                              Working...
                              X