Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Hello! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk! Please be patient with us as registration make take longer to process around the holidays. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Do you provide private mailbox rentals in your office and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you provide private mailbox rentals in your office and why?

Do you guys have (private) mailbox rentals in your office? You know, the ones that have the address of your facility that someone can rent for a few $$ a month. The box itself may be just 3"-5"-15". So the customer address becomes something like this:

Bob Jones
    123 Your Facility Street, MB 45
    City, State 12345

Also do you accept packages for those mailboxes?

And do you rent them to out-of-state people?

Can you give your pros and cons too.

As a former employee of the USPS, ( many, many, many years ago) my experience is, its not too hard to do, and in this area specifically- it would definitely brig in extra $$$ because there is a P.O. Box shortage- and there are hundreds of rural homeowners who don't want their mail delivered on the street due to vandalism and theft issues. I have the office space and I would do it if the owners decided to do it. The only issue I could see is accepting packages during the holidays would be a huge inconvenience as my storage room is already full of packing supplies.
    You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

I did this at my last property. I was in an area that it was very needed, and we advertised well, yet still less than 25% were rented at any given time.

We did accept packages. We did rent to out-of-state people as long as they had the USPS requirements met for the rental.

It wasn't much work at all, but it was also not really a boost to our income.
      MamaDuke

Comment

Have none here. There is a post office with boxes about 1/8 mile up the road.
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

We do them here. There are some specific reg's about CMRA's (which is what you would be) but basically if you have room in your office for the boxes its a good source of extra income. We don't advertise, but a lot of our storage customers have boxes with us. Our prices are much cheaper than a PO box, the main downside for customers is they can only get their mail while we are open, whereas the post office has extended hours for that. We are in a small town and we do have a post office here in town,and about 50% of our boxes are occupied. We do accept packages, however we will not sign for certified mail. We just put the slip in their box and they have to go to the post office to get it. Let me know if you have questions!
          "I don't understand your specific kind of crazy but I do admire your total commitment to it!"

Comment

Originally posted by blazer View Post
            We do them here. ....
            Yep, kinda like us here. How do you guys address these issues though:

1. Customers abusing it. Some of the tenants here receive mail using multiple names. Not for different household members, but for the same person. I didn't get to the bottom of it (if anyone knows what's going on I'd be glad to hear it) but my guess is that it's some way for them to game the Welfare System.

2. When staff makes mistakes by putting mail into wrong mailboxes.

3. Businesses receiving multiple packages a day.

Comment

Originally posted by bnr_manager View Post

Yep, kinda like us here. How do you guys address these issues though:

1. Customers abusing it. Some of the tenants here receive mail using multiple names. Not for different household members, but for the same person. I didn't get to the bottom of it (if anyone knows what's going on I'd be glad to hear it) but my guess is that it's some way for them to game the Welfare System.

2. When staff makes mistakes by putting mail into wrong mailboxes.

3. Businesses receiving multiple packages a day.
              1. We haven't had that situation exactly, I'm not sure what could be going on there! We require documentation for each person using the box or we refuse the mail. (We stamp it and send it back.) We let everyone know that up front. We have to turn in all of our applications to the post office, and they can come check our records at any time so we make sure we keep everything up. Being a small town where we pretty much know everyone, sometimes we will let it go once if the person is in the same household, but we let them know its a one time thing and they need to provide documentation and fill out the app if they are going to be receiving mail regularly for their box.

2. Mistakes happen, usually our customers will hand it back to us and let us know. Most of them go through everything while they are in the office. We don't have that situation very often though.

3. We just store the packages in the back and put a slip in their box letting them know about it. If they don't pick it up within a couple weeks (has never happened) then we would send it back. We deal with a lot of packages because we ship UPS and take drop off's for UPS and Fed Ex. So we have space for packages set aside anyway.

ps...renting to out of state people, we do that too, our post office said we have to have picture ID AND something with their address on it, but it doesn't have to be a local address. We have a customer that lives in Mexico, and keeps a box with us for when he is here in the states.
              Last edited by blazer; 26th July 2019, 07:48 PM.
              "I don't understand your specific kind of crazy but I do admire your total commitment to it!"

Comment

Hmm. Interesting. This must be something specific for your state.

I'm curious, when you guys rent a mailbox, what documentation do you require besides the driver's license?

In our case (WA state) I don't think there's any regulations from the Post Office. (WA people, if I'm wrong, please correct me.)

When I started working for this company (a few years back) they didn't ask for any documentation. Just your name, $5 for the first month and here you go, you got an address in the WA state! We're located right on the border with Oregon that has a different tax system, so many people would abuse it by getting a MB here in the WA state. Then later they changed it and we started asking for IDs from WA state to open a mailbox. But that's only from a person who signs up for a mailbox. Then they can literally include mail for anyone. John Doe, Jane Smith, Bob Ross, you name it. All goes into that MB as long as the number matches.

So do you require IDs from anyone who receives mail?

Also you mentioned stamping the mail before you return it. Is it something you can buy? I'd like to get one of those stamps.

Comment

We use the post office 1583 form for the application, which lists everything that can be used as documentation. They need 2 forms, at least one with a picture, and one with their physical address. So, drivers license, passport, military ID, etc. for the second one they can use car registration, residence lease or mortgage, utility bill, etc. If they use a drivers license as one form and a passport as the other form, we can do that as long as it has their correct physical address on it.
                  I think the regs are the same nationwide since the post office is federal, but I could be wrong. They have a whole section on this kind of thing in their operating procedure, but in my experience each individual post office does it their own way, whether its according to the regs or not.
                  Yes we do require ID from each person. In the case of a child we need a birth certificate. Married people can use the same application, but both need to provide ID. Individuals using the same box need their own apps in addition to the doc's.

The stamp says "Undeliverable, Commercial Mail Receiving Agency. No authorization to receive mail for this address". We stamp the envelope and return it to the post office. You can get them from any company that makes stamps, our stamp is from Brother (they make printers etc) and we had it when I started working here. You could ask your post office, they might have a better idea where to get one.

Also, when I started here, the previous management didn't do anything but take their money and give them a key. I was the one that looked into it because everything was a mess and figured out how it was supposed to work. We have tried to do everything right since then. So I think a lot of places are probably as you described your situation.
                  Last edited by blazer; 26th July 2019, 08:32 PM.

Comment

blazer thanks for the info. Is this the form you're referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by bnr_manager View Post
                      blazer thanks for the info. Is this the form you're referring to?
                      yep that's it!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X