Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cremains

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cremains

    I know this has been discussed before, but I canít seem to find it.

    I cut the lock on a delinquent unit this morning. The unit was mostly empty except for clothes on the floor and other miscellaneous junk. (In Illinois, I have the right forego a lien sale and just dispose of the contents if they are valued less than $100). Obviously a gray area that bothers me.

    Upon further inspection, I found cremains.

    Heres the dilemma. I absolutely want to make sure these remains are treated respectfully but I also want to cover my butt in case of any legal action. Based on a little Facebook stalking, the tenant was the boyfriend. I obtained next of kin information from the local funeral home (not the tenant).

    Should I move forward as if Iím just cleaning out an abandoned unit with little/no value and contact next of kin to pick up the remains or should I move forward with a legal lien sale and leave it to the auction winner?

    Thanks in advance for your help.

  • #2
    Personally, I would follow your lien laws with this and still contact next of kin for the cremains. They may be able to get a legal document that allows you to hand them over to the family. At that point you could shut down the lien process and clean out the unit. Make sure you document all of this with pics and notes on the account and any lien process documentation. Any tenant contact, document it. It takes a special kind of a$$ to do something like this. IMO, they are a waste of air and need to walk in the water till over their head and stay there.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

    Comment


    • #3
      Because you have that $100 value option, as long as the rest is truly trash, I would clear it out, contact the next-of-kin, and move on. I would give them 2 weeks to pick it up or you'll be done with it.
      MamaDuke

      Comment


      • #4
        I just texted an ex tenant's daughter re the same thing. I was all apologetic-"Yeah, hey, sorry to bother you but your mom still has your cremated baby sister here."
        Daughter immediately texted back, "I'll contact her right now!"
        Apparently there were 'words' because the mom/ex-tenant texted me and told me to stop contacting the alt-
        I replied, verbatim, 'I was sorry to bother her but it seems these things are precious and I want family to have them instead of us putting everything in a dumpster."

        Sooooooo, she's SUPPOSED to be here this weekend. I've made all of the notes because I don't want this thing to get bobbled at the end.
        When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

        WA State

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by redbird View Post
          I know this has been discussed before, but I canít seem to find it.

          I cut the lock on a delinquent unit this morning. The unit was mostly empty except for clothes on the floor and other miscellaneous junk. (In Illinois, I have the right forego a lien sale and just dispose of the contents if they are valued less than $100). Obviously a gray area that bothers me.

          Upon further inspection, I found cremains.

          Heres the dilemma. I absolutely want to make sure these remains are treated respectfully but I also want to cover my butt in case of any legal action. Based on a little Facebook stalking, the tenant was the boyfriend. I obtained next of kin information from the local funeral home (not the tenant).

          Should I move forward as if Iím just cleaning out an abandoned unit with little/no value and contact next of kin to pick up the remains or should I move forward with a legal lien sale and leave it to the auction winner?

          Thanks in advance for your help.
          Are you getting haunted yet? Asking for a fellow manager...lol
          When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

          WA State

          Comment


          • #6
            Have dealt with them quite a few times over my years.. I think it was TX where according to one source you are supposed to go through some hurdles to CYA such as contact a private investigator to find the people, can't just dispose of them etc.. Actually have some that appear to be from a baby or a pet by the size of the box sitting in a drawer next to me that was here when we took over. Been there for years it seems, just havn't taken the time myself to look into it, figure if it's been there that long what's the rush.. Not like they're going anywhere....

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post

              Are you getting haunted yet? Asking for a fellow manager...lol
              Nothing yet. Apparently I'm more worried about this than the "loved ones". Hopefully that scores me some points in the hereafter

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                Personally, I would follow your lien laws with this and still contact next of kin for the cremains. They may be able to get a legal document that allows you to hand them over to the family. At that point you could shut down the lien process and clean out the unit. Make sure you document all of this with pics and notes on the account and any lien process documentation. Any tenant contact, document it. It takes a special kind of a$$ to do something like this. IMO, they are a waste of air and need to walk in the water till over their head and stay there.
                Exactly my thoughts, Pac. 1# I can't imagine having such little regard for someone as to store their remains in a freaking storage unit. #2 if for some reason I had to do that, I damn sure wouldn't fall behind on my rent. Just when I think I've seen it all, some brand new jack wagon proves me wrong.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have 2 sets of cremated remains in my office still, and have for years. It is shocking that there is no one that cares for these people. I have tried everything to get rid of them.

                  It is illegal to dispose of them from my understanding. I believe I will be probably burring them myself at some point.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Okay-I'm a genealogist-if you message me their details (name, dates and area) I can do a search and see if I can contact family.
                    When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

                    WA State

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post
                      Okay-I'm a genealogist-if you message me their details (name, dates and area) I can do a search and see if I can contact family.
                      Thanks for the offer! I contacted the funeral home that handled the arrangements. They were able to give me contact information for next of kin. The information I received matches what I found with a little Facebook "research" as well as the obituary I found online.

                      I sent an email (following with a certified letter) to the tenant and am giving him until Monday to reply. If I hear nothing, I will move on to next of kin. If for some reason her family is unwilling take the remains, my parish priest offered to provide a cemetery plot to bury the remains. He even offered to donate a grave marker.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        At least if the priest takes possession they/you will get the peace of mind that they are taken care of with respect.
                        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

                        Comment

                        Latest Topics

                        Collapse

                        • Bighank
                          Reply to Pest and Bug protection kit
                          by Bighank
                          Idaho has nice. I tell everyone that God built mice better than my ability to get rid of them. When someone says "You have mice?" I look them in the eye and say, "yes." I ask them if they see al the hawks and falcons flying around and ever wonder what they feed on. Most are...
                          Yesterday, 11:31 PM
                        • KrisinNC
                          Reply to Lawn & Garden Landscaping
                          by KrisinNC
                          This facility doesn't have a lot of landscape-weed-whacking and picking up trash, no lawn etc. So maintenance handles it. Last facility we had a landscaping company and they mowed, cleaned up leaves, branches and even removed snow if needed....
                          Yesterday, 07:06 PM
                        • Beebop
                          Reply to Lawn & Garden Landscaping
                          by Beebop
                          Our maintenance man use to have to trim the bushes until the owner hired a landscaping company to do it....
                          Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                        Working...
                        X