Suggestions for credit card processing service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for credit card processing service

We're currently using a merchant service to run customer credit card payments provided through Site Link (our accounting software.)

There's one major issue with it that I'm trying to resolve.

During a move-in we cannot run a new tenant's payment until they are completely entered into Site Link (which takes several minutes to complete.) This poses an issue if the customer has already left and their payment doesn't go through. (I understand that I can make that customer wait until I run the pmt. But that is what I'm trying to avoid doing with this question.)

Do you guy know of a service to accept credit/debit card payments that would run the card payment right away during the swipe? Or at least could put a hold on it and let us know that the card is good/has enough money during the swipe?

Or, maybe you can share your setup.

Yapstone does ours. All I enter during move in is the complete name, address and then swipe the card during the financial process. I set up the gate code also. After they leave I put in phone numbers, place of business, alt contact info and then save the c/c number for the auto pay set up.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
      Yapstone does ours. All I enter during move in is the complete name, address and then swipe the card during the financial process. I set up the gate code also. After they leave I put in phone numbers, place of business, alt contact info and then save the c/c number for the auto pay set up.
      And is it integrated with your accounting software? (I believe you don't use Site Link, do you.)

Comment

I use QuikStor and it is integrated.

Comment

I use sitelink and can't process a payment until the rental is complete. The payment is the final step and I'm confused as to why you are letting your customers leave without finishing the entire rental process. Is it the actual payment part that is taking so long? We use Sage which is through SBOA offered on Sitelink, by the way. It takes seconds to process the payment with an "approved" or "declined" when done.
          Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

I use StorEdge with StorEdge Merchant services (Paya) it is the same way, which is the way it has always worked for us. I am not sure I would want to process a payment before a tenant agrees to my rental agreement.

Comment

DairyGirl RandyL guys, sorry. I probably didn't explain it enough.

Let me show what I do. Say, I'm working by myself. When a new customer comes in, I show them the storage unit, tell the price and explain our site rules. I then have them sign our addendum with the rules. Then I get a copy of their ID and fill out the lease (by hand) in front of them. Then when the lease is filled out, I go over it and have them initial it. This whole process takes about 10 minutes (or more.)

At the end, I ask the customer how they want to make a payment. If they choose a credit/debit card (we also accept cash and checks) I scan their card into our notebook, sign the lease, give them the gate code, thank them for their business and let them go.

Now, the reason I can't run their payment right away is because the process to run a credit card for a new rental in Site Link will require me to go thru multiple steps and windows. (I'll make screenshots and document below all the windows and forms that I need to fill out.)

So as you see, it would take at least several minutes to go through all those clicks and forms just to get to the payment screen for me to know that the payment is in. Also keep in mind that if I keep the customer in our office standing in front of me, I have to fill out all of those forms while possibly talking or listening to them. On top of that I may have other things happen with other people coming into office (which isn't big in our case.) So you may see how all this can become pretty intense and error-prone process to go through.

Thus we choose to let the customer go and then fill out all this info at our own pace.

This works in most cases, but sometimes the card doesn't go through on that step 21 (or step 17 if I swipe it.) This puts me in a bind when I already signed the lease but I don't have their payment. So then the onus shifts on me, when I need to call the person and say that their card is no good. What if they don't answer? Or already started unloading their stuff into the unit?

That is why I'm looking for a 2 steps (instead of 21-step) process that would allow me to run someone's credit card payment before I begin this complicated move-in process.

But I must be doing something wrong since none of you seem to be doing it this way?

Comment

Yes, that is how Sitelink works, as all other software. I can do a rental from walk-in to payment complete in 10 minutes.

First, the customer should be filling out the contract, not you. That is your Prima Facie evidence in court if there is ever an issue with customer information (i.e. "I never received the lien letter because the address was wrong."). When it's in the customer's own handwriting, they bear the burden if it's wrong.

Second, it only takes a couple minutes to fill out their information, and that's just part of the process. This is a legally binding contract and proper time should be given to complete it properly. If you really want to speed up the process, initially use * for the address info and DL info. This will get you to the payment screen more quickly. Then when they leave you can go in and edit the info and complete it properly.
                MamaDuke

Comment

Before I even get to the lease with the new tenant I have them fill out a personal info sheet and during that time I am in front of my computer putting in only what I need to. They are busy, not just standing there, and so am I. The first thing I do is take a copy of their drivers license and get their c/c from them. I ask if the address is current and get their email address and get their last 4 digits of their s/s # for use when I set up the gate code. While they are filling in that personal info form I type in the full name, current address, email address, I bypass the alt contact screen because that info will be on the form they are filling out. I set up the gate code and go right to the financial screen and set up what they will be paying. They finish what they are filling out about the same time I get done and turn around to them. We then do the lease initial and sign and then I turn around and swipe the c/c for approval and then save it for the auto pay that they must sign up for. I can show the a unit in the golf cart and reopen the office and do the paperwork I just laid out, in 30 minutes or less. When they leave they are required to go thru both gates so I can make sure the code works and they have to go to the unit and put lock on. That way they get used to where the unit is when they drive the facility. The gate time and putting the lock on never takes more than 3 minutes unless they have items for the unit when they show up.

Any new tenant that shows up during the rental process, I have them listen to my paperwork flow and lease so we can save time when I switch over to them and show them a unit. With QuikStor I can open up another home screen and do a quick payment for someone, only if they need the paper receipt handed to them. 99% just get the emailed receipt. I was told by existing tenants that the couple before me could not rent a unit in less than an hour. It is hard for me to believe that SiteLink can be so contrived that all those steps need to be done before payment.

Comment

Nothing wrong - just different. How motivated is the owner to upgrade or condense the process? You complete a paper lease and then have to enter the same information again and that takes time. There are lots of new platforms out there and maybe one would suit the business better. Unfortunately, people are less and less patient - especially if they have it in their head that the process should take about 15 minutes. If you have camera's that watch over the main office - re-watch a couple of the sign-ups and watch the customer body language, watch it and you will notice around the 10-15 minute mark - it will change (for a majority of people) - they want to start moving in or have to go. You can set the expectation by telling them - 'This takes about 20 minutes. Do you have the time right now?', etc - this should help.

We use WSS (UHaul) - they fill out Personal Information form - we enter into system, etc and it generates a lease with the information on it. We have them read copy of lease while we enter the information (so there is less talking while we enter information). Lease is generated (for the most part) after payment is completed. WSS works fine, but from what I can tell, all platforms have their issues/limitations.

Comment

I do the exact same thing. Except in step 14 where you have the payment highlighted, I print the lease, and have them sign it. The payment is the very last thing I do and I would never let a tenant leave without having made a valid payment. They get their copies of the lease and the receipt and are free to go when everything is complete. Are you not set up to print out your agreement from sitelink? Entering all that info on a new tenant is part of the process, if they can't hang around for the 10 or so minutes it takes to complete the process, that's too bad. As far as other people coming in while you are doing a move-in, they have to wait. That's just how it goes. Doesn't mean you can't acknowledge their presence with a "I'll be with you as soon as I can" kind of comment.

Comment

I think I understand what is happening with your process. It appears you are not using esignatures or electronic documents in your process. That you are using a paper form, and then entering all the information later.

This is how I used to do things when I had SiteLink Standalone edition.

We don't have any hand written documents that we use anymore. Everything is entered into the computer, reviewed on the screen with the tenant, and then they sign on the same screen.

If you need to keep going the route you are going now, you will basically be stuck with overlocking units this happens to until they make a payment.

Comment

RandyL it doesn't even have to be esigs or e docs, although I'll admit that would be the easiest. Just entering the info on the new tenant screen and printing a paper agreement (which has all the info you just entered) for the tenant to sign will still get them to the payment screen to process their payment w/o having to enter everything later. It seems they are doing double the work this way.

Comment

Wow, thank you everyone for your input. Very much appreciated! And yes, I see now that we probably need to change the way we do move-ins.

What I was hoping before I asked this question was a way to run a customer's payment even before I began signing them up. In other words, if the payment doesn't go thru I don't want to expend any of my energy and just turn them down.

We used to have this machine before they switched us to Site Link that would just spit out a paper receipt as soon as we swiped the card:

So I was thinking you guys would tell me that you're using Swipe or Square, or one of those more modern alternatives. But I guess not...

MamaDuke hmm. That is a very good point. I didn't think about the fact that if we write a lease on paper we should let the new tenant fill it out themselves. The issue for us is that our contract is a long piece of paper, printed on a long double-carbon-copy sheet, so it won't even fit on a clipboard. Also how do you deal with people's chicken-scratch handwriting?

Also, for example, when we have people fill out their info themselves during the on-site auction sign-up process, they usually leave things out, or just scribble it in such a way that you need a forensic investigator to decipher it.

pacnwstorage yes, that is what we have to go through in Site Link to run a payment for a new move in. I'm not kidding you. I just spent half an hour this AM making those screenshots.

KeelHauler1994 I don't think we'll be able to change our accounting system any time soon. The original owner, unfortunately is out of the picture now. (The guy has Alzheimer's.) His wife is running the show now, and all she cares about is how much money we put into her bank account. That's pretty much it. It's a sad story for another post though.

DairyGirl that's very interesting. I never looked into that menu. Thanks. One question though -- when the lease comes out you print it on a blank piece of the "Letter"-size white paper, right? Our contract is a long carbon-copy type sheet. So I don't think we can easily print on it.

RandyL wow, thanks. I heard about that e-sign process, but I never looked into it. I'm wondering if there's a YouTube video that shows how it's done? The process itself and what hardware they use. We may consider getting one of those things.

Comment

Originally posted by bnr_manager View Post
                              Wow, thank you everyone for your input. Very much appreciated! And yes, I see now that we probably need to change the way we do move-ins.

What I was hoping before I asked this question was a way to run a customer's payment even before I began signing them up. In other words, if the payment doesn't go thru I don't want to expend any of my energy and just turn them down.

We used to have this machine before they switched us to Site Link that would just spit out a paper receipt as soon as we swiped the card:

So I was thinking you guys would tell me that you're using Swipe or Square, or one of those more modern alternatives. But I guess not...

MamaDuke hmm. That is a very good point. I didn't think about the fact that if we write a lease on paper we should let the new tenant fill it out themselves. The issue for us is that our contract is a long piece of paper, printed on a long double-carbon-copy sheet, so it won't even fit on a clipboard. Also how do you deal with people's chicken-scratch handwriting?

Also, for example, when we have people fill out their info themselves during the on-site auction sign-up process, they usually leave things out, or just scribble it in such a way that you need a forensic investigator to decipher it.

pacnwstorage yes, that is what we have to go through in Site Link to run a payment for a new move in. I'm not kidding you. I just spent half an hour this AM making those screenshots.

KeelHauler1994 I don't think we'll be able to change our accounting system any time soon. The original owner, unfortunately is out of the picture now. (The guy has Alzheimer's.) His wife is running the show now, and all she cares about is how much money we put into her bank account. That's pretty much it. It's a sad story for another post though.

DairyGirl that's very interesting. I never looked into that menu. Thanks. One question though -- when the lease comes out you print it on a blank piece of the "Letter"-size white paper, right? Our contract is a long carbon-copy type sheet. So I don't think we can easily print on it.

RandyL wow, thanks. I heard about that e-sign process, but I never looked into it. I'm wondering if there's a YouTube video that shows how it's done? The process itself and what hardware they use. We may consider getting one of those things.
                              Yes, just regular copy paper from a printer/copier/scanner that is hooked up to our computer. All info is entered, once, and 2 copies of the lease print...one for me and one for the tenant.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Storman
                                Reply to monopoly from sitelink/sparefoot/StorEdge
                                by Storman
                                feels a little like Stockholm Syndrome. By feeding these aggregators we're hurting our own industry. In the name of possibly increasing occupancy percentage we're giving away a large slice of our income and future viability. Income that we as the business developers, owners and operators have taken...
                                Yesterday, 11:38 PM
                              • Merman
                                by Merman
                                I definitely had more rentals with Sparefoot. I was using Storedge as well. A big question to ask each person once the reservation comes in is how long they plan to store for. Each time a Sparefoot reservation rents for 1 month and takes off, you're losing money. I would politely decline those reservations....
                                Yesterday, 09:00 PM
                              • IceBox
                                by IceBox
                                Following up on this, just wondering if anyone is having success with Sparefoot/Storable Marketplace for renting up a new facility. It makes sense to try and be visible everywhere you possibly can be, especially for a newer facility or expansion, but I do see some of the downfalls:

A) sparefoot/storable...
                                Yesterday, 06:08 PM
                              Working...
                              X