Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pest and Bug protection kit

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pest and Bug protection kit

    I have this idea that it would be nice to offer the customer some sort of preventative "pre treatment" kit. Something the customer could do (if they choose to purchase the kit) right before they move into the unit. The kit should contain 2 "place packs" mouse bait bags, perimeter bug spray (24 oz 12 month protection), cricket glue pads, fly tape, and roach motels. These kits would be sold to the customer and used at their digression.

    The place packs and sticky pads would allow the customer to monitor things inside the unit where we can not. What do you guys think?

  • #2
    I put fresh mouse poison in every unit and I spray a perimeter around each unit once they are clean. I wouldn't want to trust the tenants to do this properly.

    We used to give each customer fresh mouse poison to place inside each unit at time of rental, but we stopped that and just do it ourselves.

    Comment


    • #3
      Giving the tenant the responsibility of installing and monitoring is a lead in to a "Roundup" lawsuit. Plus, even though people that live in a reality know there is the chance for all the critters this kit addresses, they still don't want to hear it when they read or listen as to what the kit will address. I am a full disclosure type of person but there are limits. If asked I tell the tenant that we have a pest control company that sprays each month. We actually do because she will be here at 9:30 this morning to do the whole facility.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

      Comment


      • #4
        This is an interesting topic. We are located next to a large open field and from time to time, get reports of mice infilitration. I am curious what you spray to keep them away?

        This would be an easy thing to do when units are vacated

        Matt
        Tonawanda Self Store

        Comment


        • #5
          The back of the facility is backed up to what we call "wetlands" here. Bound to be a few critters here. The same critters can get in to your home or the garage area. If you think not then you are kidding yourself. If asked I tell the tenant that they can put their own bait/trap in their unit and we will throw away when they move. I encourage totes instead of cardboard boxes, wrapping all furniture and using mattress covers. I also know that rodents don't like the smell of fresh dryer sheets that can be scattered in the unit as well. If they want absolute guarantees of no critters in their unit then they need to find a hermetically sealed unit.
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

          Comment


          • #6
            I think most tenants understand there is a chance for any kind of pests anywhere they go. We do also encourage the plastic bins, etc. If any tenants come to me and say they have seen a rodent or droppings, I will offer sticky traps as a courtesy. I think selling these kits may go over well in some areas, but it would also put it in the tenant's faces and make them wonder, "Why do I need all this stuff? Are letting me know they have issues with all these pests!" We also have pest control that come out, spray, and fill our bait boxes. When a tenant moves out, as a part of the cleaning process we respray the unit with a "green" but very effective spray. We also check bait boxes between pest control visits.
            Last edited by AngelaESSTX; 21st August 2019, 12:25 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by tonaselfstore View Post
              This is an interesting topic. We are located next to a large open field and from time to time, get reports of mice infilitration. I am curious what you spray to keep them away?

              This would be an easy thing to do when units are vacated

              Matt
              Tonawanda Self Store
              Matt,
              We have professionally monitored "bait stations" for mice. Its basically a black plastic box (about the size of a car battery) that is bolted to the ground and locks. The bait that is in the box is irresistible to the mice and very toxic. They're spaced about 200 feet apart. I was warned by my council that placing the bait bags in the units myself could end badly if a child or pet were to ingest them. My idea of selling them to the customer was an attempt to avoid carrying that liability and also an opportunity to have additional retail sales.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by DNolting View Post

                Matt,
                We have professionally monitored "bait stations" for mice. Its basically a black plastic box (about the size of a car battery) that is bolted to the ground and locks. The bait that is in the box is irresistible to the mice and very toxic. They're spaced about 200 feet apart. I was warned by my council that placing the bait bags in the units myself could end badly if a child or pet were to ingest them. My idea of selling them to the customer was an attempt to avoid carrying that liability and also an opportunity to have additional retail sales.
                I'm afraid you'd get the wide eyed, "You have MICE?" and they'd hotfoot it right out of there.
                When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

                WA State

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post

                  I'm afraid you'd get the wide eyed, "You have MICE?" and they'd hotfoot it right out of there.
                  YUP! I had a lady who refused to rent from us because she saw the big black bait stations around the building. She assumed we had rodent issues. I tried explaining to her it was preventative, no recently reported activity- but it is a commercial storage space next to a wooded area. Occasionally we do get them. And- while we try to screen our tenants it is next to impossible to monitor what they are bringing in to the building. Stuff that been in Grandpas shed on his 20 acre farm for the past 30 years? Hey, no problem! LOL
                  You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by wc1974 View Post

                    YUP! I had a lady who refused to rent from us because she saw the big black bait stations around the building. She assumed we had rodent issues. I tried explaining to her it was preventative, no recently reported activity- but it is a commercial storage space next to a wooded area. Occasionally we do get them. And- while we try to screen our tenants it is next to impossible to monitor what they are bringing in to the building. Stuff that been in Grandpas shed on his 20 acre farm for the past 30 years? Hey, no problem! LOL
                    Every year we'd get college kids for the summer-and their roaches. It was the worst!
                    When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

                    WA State

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Idaho has nice. I tell everyone that God built mice better than my ability to get rid of them. When someone says "You have mice?" I look them in the eye and say, "yes." I ask them if they see al the hawks and falcons flying around and ever wonder what they feed on. Most are very understandable. I opens an conversation about being a partner. I keep the outside clean and they take care of their property inside. The only people who really act dismayed are from Out of state. M finishing joke is that the official bird of Idaho is the mouse. Yes I know that mice are not birds. We have 12 properties in the area and I am the only one that addresses issues up front. Our Director says we have far fewer calls about stuff like this. There is my 2 cents. Now off to the orthopedic surgeon to see what he heck I did to one of my artificial knees.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thanks everyone! Like you, I address the issue of Mice upfront. I point to the large open field next to us and highlight the part of the contract that stipulates no edible storage. I also suggest totes and covering/ sealing all upholstered furniture.

                        If there is a spray available, I'd do that when people move out. Otherwise, the bait traps are a great idea.

                        Thank you

                        Matt
                        Tonawanda Self Store

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by tonaselfstore View Post
                          Thanks everyone! Like you, I address the issue of Mice upfront. I point to the large open field next to us and highlight the part of the contract that stipulates no edible storage. I also suggest totes and covering/ sealing all upholstered furniture.

                          If there is a spray available, I'd do that when people move out. Otherwise, the bait traps are a great idea.

                          Thank you

                          Matt
                          Tonawanda Self Store
                          Get a mouser. And always emphasize that if people don't store food (ANY food, even rabbit food-just had this question last week-smh), hay (yes, someone stored hay bales and got mice) etc. it beings the incidents of mice in a unit way down, but you can never promise that mice won't get in. But you know all of this..lol.
                          When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

                          WA State

                          Comment

                          Latest Topics

                          Collapse

                          • Storman
                            Reply to monopoly from sitelink/sparefoot/StorEdge
                            by Storman
                            feels a little like Stockholm Syndrome. By feeding these aggregators we're hurting our own industry. In the name of possibly increasing occupancy percentage we're giving away a large slice of our income and future viability. Income that we as the business developers, owners and operators have taken...
                            Yesterday, 11:38 PM
                          • Merman
                            Reply to monopoly from sitelink/sparefoot/StorEdge
                            by Merman
                            I definitely had more rentals with Sparefoot. I was using Storedge as well. A big question to ask each person once the reservation comes in is how long they plan to store for. Each time a Sparefoot reservation rents for 1 month and takes off, you're losing money. I would politely decline those reservations....
                            Yesterday, 09:00 PM
                          • IceBox
                            Reply to monopoly from sitelink/sparefoot/StorEdge
                            by IceBox
                            Following up on this, just wondering if anyone is having success with Sparefoot/Storable Marketplace for renting up a new facility. It makes sense to try and be visible everywhere you possibly can be, especially for a newer facility or expansion, but I do see some of the downfalls:

                            A) sparefoot/storable...
                            Yesterday, 06:08 PM
                          Working...
                          X