Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do, what to do.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    If he did something somewhere else and your owner or you called that place, you were likely just told that yes he worked there but they will not share the act of thievery if he did that. They are trying to make sure they don't get sued after the fact by him.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
      If he did something somewhere else and your owner or you called that place, you were likely just told that yes he worked there but they will not share the act of thievery if he did that. They are trying to make sure they don't get sued after the fact by him.
      I have no idea the name of the business, just the type of business. He was already working here when he started at that place so he wouldn't have used it as a job reference.
      Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

      Comment


      • #48
        fire him and be done with it

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Grizz View Post
          fire him and be done with it
          I am pushing management above to do just that. ASAP
          Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

          Comment


          • #50
            I will be asking our property management company to talk to the company attorney for guidance on this, but wanted to get thoughts here as well. The employee that we will be letting go also has a storage unit here (had it for a couple of years prior to working here). When this person is let go, we are also terminating their storage lease. While I would normally give a tenant 30 days notice, this situation is different. I am not comfortable letting this person have access to the property for 30 days after they've just been fired. My lease is no help and the statutes don't cover it, expect for the part in the same chapter about non-residential landlord/tenant leases. According to that, a month-to-month tenancy requires not less than 15 days' notice before the end of the rental period. If I follow that, it's still, basically, giving this person 30 days to vacate. Does anyone have any thoughts, or has anyone had a similar situation with firing an employee and terminating their unit rental? Personally, if I could get away with 24 or 48 hours to get out, I would. But I don't think that would be "legal".
            Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

            Comment


            • #51
              Depends on the reason they give for terminating the guy. If they come right out and tell him he is being let go because of theft then I would also say that he has to get out of the unit NOW. If they just let him go, "just because", then you may well be stuck with 30 days to get out of the unit but lock the gate code out and put a lock on the unit and he has access only when you decide he can and if he wants to press it then he also has to be current on rent when move out. If it was a free unit because he worked there, then he cannot press the 30 day time frame, again IMO. He may have paid before the job and then not paid after starting work or he got a discounted rate because of the work there.
              "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                Depends on the reason they give for terminating the guy. If they come right out and tell him he is being let go because of theft then I would also say that he has to get out of the unit NOW. If they just let him go, "just because", then you may well be stuck with 30 days to get out of the unit but lock the gate code out and put a lock on the unit and he has access only when you decide he can and if he wants to press it then he also has to be current on rent when move out. If it was a free unit because he worked there, then he cannot press the 30 day time frame, again IMO. He may have paid before the job and then not paid after starting work or he got a discounted rate because of the work there.
                Makes sense. He does get a discount because he works here, and as much as I would like to immediately raise his rent to the current rate for that size unit, w/o a 30 day notice of a rent raise I don't think I can. I guess I'll have to wait and see how this all plays out and go from there.
                Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Yea, that's why I did not say anything about raising the rent. Same 30 day time period if you have to go that way but I would still lock down the unit and gate code and limit access when the day comes of letting him go.
                  "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    I would do a 15 day non-renewal and only give him gate access during business hours. If there is a stipulation in his lease stating it is an employee discount and the terns of that, most of those are terminated with any separation of company. I wouldn't think you need a 30 day notice for removing the discount, unless it's stipulated in his lease or addendum to it, since he was an employee after the fact. Keep us updated!!

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      So your lease doesn't specify the amount of notice that the company must give a customer to not renew the lease?

                      MamaDuke

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by MamaDuke View Post
                        So your lease doesn't specify the amount of notice that the company must give a customer to not renew the lease?
                        No, it just states we have the option not to renew it. No mention of how much notice we have to give the tenant, but I give notice 30 days ahead.
                        Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by AngelaESSTX
                          MamaDuke
                          ​​​​​​​She stated "not less than 15 days"
                          I'm not sure why my other comments were deleted. Seems like an abuse of power from a moderator.
                          Statutes state 15 days for non-residential leases. My rental agreement doesn't have any mention of a time frame we have to give tenants.
                          Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            DairyGirl Something y'all could do is once y'all fire him, have him sign an addendum as part of his termination that states when he is to move out of his unit and any other specifications you require. That will override the other options or lack thereof in your lease.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by DairyGirl View Post

                              Statutes state 15 days for non-residential leases. My rental agreement doesn't have any mention of a time frame we have to give tenants.
                              That's where I would go with this, then. That's a safe way to go in case of litigation.
                              MamaDuke

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                After giving this more thought, if this person is aware that you give other tenants a 30-day notice, that is probably the safest thing to do with him, too. You don't want a discrimination lawsuit.

                                You can require that he only come during business hours. That way you can keep an eye on him, and that's something that you might do for any customer who had their lease terminated.
                                MamaDuke

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X