Off-loaded family memories to family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off-loaded family memories to family

Well, this is your feel good story for the day.

We had 2 huge units that went to auction about 9 months ago. It belonged to a man who'd dropped dead of a heart-attack and his widow just stored everything. They sold, of course.. The winners brought us about 12 boxes of personal items and lovely lovely photos of a large family traditional Japanese wedding.

About to throw everything out since we could never get a hold of the former tenant (no alts listed) and the tenant's husband was deceased, my maintenance came and shook his head. "We need to see if we can't get a hold of the family, I can't throw these out!"

So I did a little digging online, called a bunch of numbers and came up with zero, so I found the closest address I could and wrote a short note to what I was pretty sure was the adult daughter.

A week later she called me and was THRILLED! She thought her step mother had thrown everything out when her dad died. The boxes contained her father's memories, and her grandparents things like military records and photos etc., including tons of letters her g-grandmother wrote to her sons who all served during WWII.

So, all picked up, happy family and happy self storage manager.

When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

This is a great story except for one thing. You actually kept the items for 9 months. You have way more patience than I have for sure.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

On the personal side, great story. Long story short but I've had it happen to me where my fathers brand new wife of a year put everything out on the curb that she begged to keep in her house to remind him of her when he passed away. Thankfully we knew people in the same area who saw it and called us as we were living in FL and this was back in TX and we had family on my wifes side nearby to go grab everything. My family was big into art collecting and this new wife had put over 30 pieces of limited edition signed/numbered pieces from an artist that my family was big into out on the curb. I could easily see new step parents not caring about the actual family and letting them try to get anything as it sounds like happened to your person.

On a managerial side, i'm with pac, i'll give 30 days after I notify the person that stuff was left, if no one claims it... bye felica!

Comment

I think officially we have to keep it for 8 months? 6 months? It depends on who you talk to.
        When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

Comment

We are 30 days then get rid of it. Our experience is very few come and get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Orkocean View Post
            On the personal side, great story. Long story short but I've had it happen to me where my fathers brand new wife of a year put everything out on the curb that she begged to keep in her house to remind him of her when he passed away. Thankfully we knew people in the same area who saw it and called us as we were living in FL and this was back in TX and we had family on my wifes side nearby to go grab everything. My family was big into art collecting and this new wife had put over 30 pieces of limited edition signed/numbered pieces from an artist that my family was big into out on the curb. I could easily see new step parents not caring about the actual family and letting them try to get anything as it sounds like happened to your person.

On a managerial side, i'm with pac, i'll give 30 days after I notify the person that stuff was left, if no one claims it... bye felica!
            I had a friend whose Dad remarried. Unfortunately she was a harridan and everything his daughters were supposed to inherit she ignored and handed off to her own kids when he passed. Remarkably like Cinderella, frankly.

WA State

Comment

I hate to throw stuff away if I can't seem to get a hold of anyone. It depends on the stuff...paperwork goes but pics and sentimental items I will keep. I will just keep looking once in a while when I have the time. If I have room I keep it, if not it has to go.

On another note, I have 3 urns that I can't get rid of. Only one has a funeral home's name in it and they don't want it. One I just can't find and one I think is a pet.
              The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamkathleenj View Post
                I hate to throw stuff away if I can't seem to get a hold of anyone. It depends on the stuff...paperwork goes but pics and sentimental items I will keep. I will just keep looking once in a while when I have the time. If I have room I keep it, if not it has to go.

On another note, I have 3 urns that I can't get rid of. Only one has a funeral home's name in it and they don't want it. One I just can't find and one I think is a pet.
                Ohh, so sad. Have you asked the county coroner's office if they can take it? If not, I'd ask a local cemetery and see what they can do for you.

WA State

Comment

KrisinNC those are 2 ideas that I did not think of. Coroner and cemetery. Thank you. I will work on that this week after our auction.
                  The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

Thank you for sharing this amazing story!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• MamaDuke
                      Reply to Death of a tenant question
                      by MamaDuke
                      Different states have different laws. In CA, there is a legal form to be completed and notarized, or they must have the proper court documents. In the meantime, we overlock the space to ensure that no one gets access until we have the proper paperwork.

We don't want the son to come next...
                      Today, 12:18 PM
                    • dakselfstorage
                      Reply to Where Would You Live?
                      by dakselfstorage
                      Just spent two nights on the outer edge of Kerrville at a Super 8. It was actually one of the nicer 8's we've stayed in. We did the three twisted sisters near there.
                      Love the entire area....
                      Today, 12:17 PM
                    • pacnwstorage
                      Reply to Death of a tenant question
                      by pacnwstorage
                      IMO, after seeing the certified death certificate and legal paperwork that gives her control of the mother-in-law unit belongings, she can have her name put on the unit and linked to her units. If you wish you can of course reference the mother-in-laws name somewhere on the unit.
                      Today, 10:12 AM
                    Working...
                    X