I can see the writing on the wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can see the writing on the wall

Relief manager moves a guy in last weekend. I go through paperwork when I get in on Sundays and everything looked in order.
    Tuesday rolls around and a guy in a pickup truck arrives and starts unloading and shortly after, a guy with a pitbull gets out of truck with a rolling suitcase and a backpack. Alarm bells start to ring but another tenant comes in with questions.
    A tenant comes in to rent our truck, and asks, "Is that supposed to be happening?" He points outside and the guy with dog and suitcases huddled in front of our rental truck.
    "Nope," and I go out. "Hey pal, you cannot hang out here and the dog is not allowed out on the property unless he's in a car."
    I start towards him and he holds up a hand at the same time dog growls, "Please don't!"
    Now I'm really not happy, "You and the dog need to go."
    "I understand," he assures me, and dithers for about 15 minutes looking for 'his keys'. Finally he leaves.
    Turns out he's the tenant.
    This morning I get a phone complaint from a tenant who says someone was smoking indoors last night. Check cameras. Guess who.
    I call, no answer so I text a reminder that there is 'NO SMOKING, thank you. If I catch you breaking the rules again I'm gong to restrict your access.'
    ugh. I'm gonna bet this will not be the first time I warn this guy.
    Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

When anyone spends 15 minutes dithering for their keys that is a well known sign of meth use because anyone on meth will constantly be loading and unloading pockets and act all confused. That pit bull could be dangerous and if it hurts anyone of your tenants guess who will get a finger pointed at them because you can bet your tenant will not take any responsibility for it. Get him out of there asap. Any delay is going to be bad. He has already proven that he cares not about your rules.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Sounds like he's gonna be an issue
      AmyLou

Comment

I feel for you, I really do. I suppose it would be time to talk with your relief, as well. As a seasoned manager, you already know how this is going to turn out and what you should do. Just don't give him too much time to do too much damage. Good luck! And by all means, keep us updated

Comment

I wonder of we have the same tenant? This same scenario ( minus the moving truck) happened here a few weeks ago- I actually posted on here about it. Dog off leash, smoking in the building,etc.. I havent seen the dog in a week or so, I was on him like white on rice every time he came in. I guess he got tired of me being a b**** LOL.
          You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post
            I wonder of we have the same tenant? This same scenario ( minus the moving truck) happened here a few weeks ago- I actually posted on here about it. Dog off leash, smoking in the building,etc.. I havent seen the dog in a week or so, I was on him like white on rice every time he came in. I guess he got tired of me being a b**** LOL.
            Kinda far apart but wouldn't be surprised.

WA State

Comment

You need to get together and use facial recognition on each other's security cameras and see if the same guy
              "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Gotta love crackheads. If he breaks any more rules, you can lock his gate access and have a nice, crisp notice to vacate sitting on the desk, just waiting for his signature when he comes in.

I had to hand one out this morning to a customer that thought it would be a good idea to live in their unit on my days off thinking I wouldn't notice them coding in before sun up and leaving after sundown. Wrong!
                A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Merman View Post
                  Gotta love crackheads. If he breaks any more rules, you can lock his gate access and have a nice, crisp notice to vacate sitting on the desk, just waiting for his signature when he comes in.

I had to hand one out this morning to a customer that thought it would be a good idea to live in their unit on my days off thinking I wouldn't notice them coding in before sun up and leaving after sundown. Wrong!
                  I've been checking both the code and cameras to make sure he's off the premises. When he moved in I saw the cage for the dog-so I also cruise by to make sure I don't hear puppy noises because of the news stories Amy posted. (paranoia, thy name is Kris)

WA State

Comment

Good for you KrisinNC
                    Amy Campbell
                    Editor
                    Inside Self-Storage
                    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

I do the sniff test. I put my nose at the edge of the door to see if I smell cologne or B.O. If Someone is in there for hours at a time, you'll probably smell one or the other.

The customer I just gave notice to was waiting at the gate since I set them to office hour access only. They had an excuse for everything I said they did, tried to throw other customers under the bus, suggested we put a camera in their unit to prove they're not dilly dallying. She did everything except take responsibility for her actions.
                      A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Comment

This is the same tenant...this person might have a different name, build, height, weight, sex, ethnicity, but I can guarantee you this person is the same tenant, the one that can not follow the rules or thinks the rules do not apply.

You just have to be vigilant and watch the cameras and document everything. They will build the case for you to have him evicted. You might be able to get a 3 or 7 day (whatever your state/city statutes) for a safety or health violation and criminal (drugs, etc) is immediate termination of the lease. Try a test mail - write a letter (confirming your previous discussions/warnings) to this person - certificate of mailing (or any proof positive mail) via USPS and see if it is returned. If this person is homeless, the address is bogus or a previous address. Your lease probably has some boiler plate paragraph about being truthful and providing a current address.

I do not know in your case if the person who came into the office was a straw renter or the individual them self. We have noticed in the past couple years, 'Do Gooder's' that rent a unit for a homeless person, etc - they appear to be fine to rent to (the person in the office), but the person that comes in to use the unit is a completely different story. We have also had the parent (or grandparent) that can not take the child (or grandchild) living with them anymore and they dump this problem person on us (they move that person out of their house and into a storage unit). We usually do not hear the full story until we make a collection call and then the story pours out (I never realized how much this job is part therapist or bartender).

Just document, document, document and start the process to evict as soon as you feel comfortable. Unfortunately, issues like this rarely self-correct. Good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by KeelHauler1994 View Post
                          This is the same tenant...this person might have a different name, build, height, weight, sex, ethnicity, but I can guarantee you this person is the same tenant, the one that can not follow the rules or thinks the rules do not apply.

You just have to be vigilant and watch the cameras and document everything. They will build the case for you to have him evicted. You might be able to get a 3 or 7 day (whatever your state/city statutes) for a safety or health violation and criminal (drugs, etc) is immediate termination of the lease. Try a test mail - write a letter (confirming your previous discussions/warnings) to this person - certificate of mailing (or any proof positive mail) via USPS and see if it is returned. If this person is homeless, the address is bogus or a previous address. Your lease probably has some boiler plate paragraph about being truthful and providing a current address.

I do not know in your case if the person who came into the office was a straw renter or the individual them self. We have noticed in the past couple years, 'Do Gooder's' that rent a unit for a homeless person, etc - they appear to be fine to rent to (the person in the office), but the person that comes in to use the unit is a completely different story. We have also had the parent (or grandparent) that can not take the child (or grandchild) living with them anymore and they dump this problem person on us (they move that person out of their house and into a storage unit). We usually do not hear the full story until we make a collection call and then the story pours out (I never realized how much this job is part therapist or bartender).

Just document, document, document and start the process to evict as soon as you feel comfortable. Unfortunately, issues like this rarely self-correct. Good luck!!
                          This. The truth of being a self storage manager in a nut-shell...

WA State

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X