Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ugh, I just muffed a 'secret shopper' call.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugh, I just muffed a 'secret shopper' call.

They started out with questions about the truck and told me she didn't have insurance, then segued into renting a unit online and what she needed. I completely muffed it, never asked her name-completely rookie mistakes. Ugh. *facepalm*.
    I've been rewinding the call in my head and castigating myself. It's like I haven't been a manager for 7 years. smh.
    Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

We all have our bad days, don't beat yourself up about it too much. I have had my fair share of phone calls from people with tons of questions, but how do you know they are a secret shopper? Is there an "ahhhaa" moment when you realize it or or there certain things to look or listen for?

Comment

Originally posted by AngelaESSTX View Post
      We all have our bad days, don't beat yourself up about it too much. I have had my fair share of phone calls from people with tons of questions, but how do you know they are a secret shopper? Is there an "ahhhaa" moment when you realize it or or there certain things to look or listen for?
      It's just a sense-it's the feeling like they are trying to catch you out on something-the way they word questions, that sort of thing. Most renters are straight forward-they want prices on a unit, and ask 'regular renter questions' about the truck.
      Plus I literally haven't a call about storage all week. IT's been pretty dead around here.

WA State

Comment

Hearing this makes me so glad that I work for a family and they don't pull that "secret shopper" call stuff on me. They don't even care about reviews. They did do a secret shopper call on me at my last facility, over 6 years ago, and then they did an in person meeting and acted like they were wanting to rent a unit. It all ended after they hired me.
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post
          They started out with questions about the truck and told me she didn't have insurance, then segued into renting a unit online and what she needed. I completely muffed it, never asked her name-completely rookie mistakes. Ugh. *facepalm*.
          I've been rewinding the call in my head and castigating myself. It's like I haven't been a manager for 7 years. smh.
          Don't beat yourself up. I got a 67% past month, do you know why? Because they also record our conversations and will select one to "review." Well, they reviewed a caller I had and gave me a low score based on their skill check "checklist". And honestly if you looked at the list and assumed that was my first contact with that tenant, I deserved the 67%. HOWEVER, what they don't know, was I had already spoken to this person earlier in the day, in person-and declined to rent to him based on his verbiage of needing a place to park his RV while they stayed in it sorting through their stuff while they were in between places. He called back pretending like we hadn't spoken, but when he used the same verbiage it clicked and I knew who I was speaking to. It really pissed me off that I lost a bonus because of that score, especially since they did not bother to get the full story.Just FYI, I have gotten a 90- 100% on every secret shopper call or review in the last 2 years, and I was proud of that. Now? I see now that it is a flawed system and can actually cost you money.
          You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post

Don't beat yourself up. I got a 67% past month, do you know why? Because they also record our conversations and will select one to "review." Well, they reviewed a caller I had and gave me a low score based on their skill check "checklist". And honestly if you looked at the list and assumed that was my first contact with that tenant, I deserved the 67%. HOWEVER, what they don't know, was I had already spoken to this person earlier in the day, in person-and declined to rent to him based on his verbiage of needing a place to park his RV while they stayed in it sorting through their stuff while they were in between places. He called back pretending like we hadn't spoken, but when he used the same verbiage it clicked and I knew who I was speaking to. It really pissed me off that I lost a bonus because of that score, especially since they did not bother to get the full story.Just FYI, I have gotten a 90- 100% on every secret shopper call or review in the last 2 years, and I was proud of that. Now? I see now that it is a flawed system and can actually cost you money.
            So, you told them about the earlier call from this person and that you recognized who it was on the second call and they still gave you 67%? What a bunch of horse$hit! Sorry, but I could not work for any place that does these calls. Basically they penalized you for being smart.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post

So, you told them about the earlier call from this person and that you recognized who it was on the second call and they still gave you 67%? What a bunch of horse$hit! Sorry, but I could not work for any place that does these calls. Basically they penalized you for being smart.
              Yep! I told one of our supervisors the full story and he just said, well, you just gotta follow the script on all those calls to get the high score, shrugged his shoulders and left it at that. I was FUMING for a whole week after that.
              You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

How much is the bonus you missed out on?

Comment

The bonuses are based on a percentage, it can range between $0 up to $150- but some managers have different percentage bonus so if for example I get a $100 bonus for a 100% score, another manager may get $120 for a 100 % score because they may have a higher percentage than I do based on experience or time with the company.
                  Last edited by wc1974; 20 November 2019, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelaESSTX View Post
                    When we had Skilcheck calls (for years, because I worked for them), I knew every single month who the mystery shop call was. I always noted it in the call log, and then when the scores came, I was always right!

There's something about the call that made it obvious that it wasn't a true customer.

Years later when I was the one making the calls for Skilcheck, I did my absolute best to sound just like any other customer. I figured I'd listened to enough of them over the years that I was reasonably convincing!
                    MamaDuke

Comment

Ah ok. We don't get scored for anything here. I think the most they would do is maybe have a friend of theirs call and see what we say. We're a small family owed corporation. There are just some callers that ask way beyond than your typical "Y'all got any units available?"

Comment

"Y'all"...cracks me up every time you say that.

Comment

Skilchecks calls are pretty easy to realize if you're good at what you do. The last company I was with even paid for the in person voice recorded mystery shops, now THOSE were super easy to figure out. I would always message the boss after and tell her she wasted another $95 by having me shopped. It's REALLY fun when you have a secret shopper who end up being higher ups from other companies and they try hiring you on the spot

Comment

Originally posted by Orkocean View Post
                            Skilchecks calls are pretty easy to realize if you're good at what you do. The last company I was with even paid for the in person voice recorded mystery shops, now THOSE were super easy to figure out. I would always message the boss after and tell her she wasted another $95 by having me shopped. It's REALLY fun when you have a secret shopper who end up being higher ups from other companies and they try hiring you on the spot
                            I can usually spot an actual Skillcheck caller, its the ones that are actual customers that they record our conversation then review it. Those are the ones that I think can cause some irritation on the store getting graded.They dont have both sides of the story so they shouldnt be grading us on it. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post

I can usually spot an actual Skillcheck caller, its the ones that are actual customers that they record our conversation then review it. Those are the ones that I think can cause some irritation on the store getting graded.They dont have both sides of the story so they shouldnt be grading us on it. Period.
                              I usually don't even worry about the calls-I've never gotten the bonus since I've worked here but usually do okay. Performance anxiety this time around..lol.

WA State

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• wc1974
                                Reply to US Reaches 200,000 COVID-19 Deaths
                                by wc1974
                                Didnt the CDC update their numbers to reflect that only 10K actually died from COVID alone, 6% of the total number of deaths. The other 94% were Covid related, meaning they died with Covid but not from Covid. Comparatively,according to the WHO: "Key facts. A total of 1.5 million people died from...
                                Today, 01:17 PM
                              • MamaDuke
                                Reply to How to get out of an online rental
                                by MamaDuke
                                You should be able to log in to your processor now and issue a credit if you can't void it since it was yesterday.

Otherwise, I like they way lady5563 suggested handling it. Unfortunately, those aren't available and I am unable meet your needs at this time. A refund has been processed....
                                Today, 01:15 PM
                              • wc1974
                                Reply to How to get out of an online rental
                                by wc1974
                                Are your units overlocked until rented, or do they have a way to access them via kiosk or other way? We keep our vacant units locked, so even if they rent online they still cant access building without a code, and if they successfully follow someone in, the unit is locked so they cant just move in without...
                                Today, 01:10 PM
                              Working...
                              X