Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Hello! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk! Please be patient with us as registration make take longer to process around the holidays. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Expanded metal fencing... do you have experience with this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expanded metal fencing... do you have experience with this?

On Tuesday morning I had a perimeter breach in my chain link fencing. Someone cut through a chain link fence of a neighboring business, then cut through mine to get onto the facility. As you know, chain link is almost useless for security, bad guys can cut themselves a doorway of any convenient size.

I'm looking at adding expanded metal fencing to the outside of my chain link fence lines, if you're unfamiliar with what that is, they're very heavy metal panels that look like very tight chain link. They're very difficult to climb since the "diamonds" aren't big enough for a toe hold, and won't allow the jaws of bolt cutters to fit in between to cut through.

I'm interested in any experience you may have, and/or names of vendors you've used to source the panels.
    In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Let us know how it works out please.

Comment

I have had issues with a fence in the past, but we never found it cost effective to try and change the fence. I did double up the layers of chain link in a problem area which helped this year.

Comment

That sounds expensive. It would slow down the bad guy though.
        Joe Krezdorn
        DAK Self Storage
        Leesport, PA 19533
        www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

So far my estimates for 4'x'8 sheets of 3/4" 9 gauge expanded metal which has been hot dip galvanized (so they don't turn orange at the first rain) is right around $100- $105 per sheet delivered, pre tax. 3/4" inch refers to the size of the opening in the "diamonds" and 9 gauge is the thickest material I can find. The smaller the diamond the more difficult it is to climb, and the thicker the material the more difficult it is to cut.

I'm planning on doing about 150 feet of fencing
          150'/4' = 37.5 sheets needed

I'll probably round up to 40 sheets since I have a couple small areas that should match, which is ~$4200 plus tax.
          The labor to install is basically me and a day laborer, since they just hog ring to the existing chain link and to each other. This amounts to greatly enhancing the security for material cost of ~ $28 per foot.

Or, as I often do with larger capital outlays like this, look at what my average tenant is worth, which is average rental fee x average length of stay. In my case, that's about $4500. So if this upgrade earns me one more tenant I may not have otherwise gotten, it's paid for. You can be sure I'll point it out and mention all of my competitors with that very unsafe chain link...

The only reason we all have this great industry to be a part of is due to offering a place to keep things dry and secure, I don't have a problem investing in this upgrade, as it directly enhances the security.
          Last edited by Storman; Yesterday, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Storman View Post
            So far my estimates for 4'x'8 sheets of 3/4" 9 gauge expanded metal which has been hot dip galvanized (so they don't turn orange at the first rain) is right around $100- $105 per sheet delivered, pre tax. 3/4" inch refers to the size of the opening in the "diamonds" and 9 gauge is the thickest material I can find. The smaller the diamond the more difficult it is to climb, and the thicker the material the more difficult it is to cut.

I'm planning on doing about 150 feet of fencing
            150'/4' = 37.5 sheets needed

I'll probably round up to 40 sheets since I have a couple small areas that should match, which is ~$4200 plus tax.
            The labor to install is basically me and a day laborer, since they just hog ring to the existing chain link and to each other. This amounts to greatly enhancing the security for ~ $28 per foot.

Or, as I often do with larger capital outlays like this, look at what my average tenant is worth, which is average rental fee x average length of stay. In my case, that's about $4500. So if this upgrade earns me one more tenant I may not have otherwise gotten, it's paid for. You can be sure I'll point it out and mention all of my competitors with that very unsafe chain link...

The only reason we all have this great industry to be a part of is due to offering a place to keep things dry and secure, I don't have a problem investing in this upgrade, as it directly enhances the security.
            What about cattle fencing-it doesn't rust. I don't know the cost comparison however.
            Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

I think cattle fencing is basically welded wire. It has very large openings which would almost act as a ladder for a bad guy, and can be cut far more easily than expanded metal.

After these panels are hot dipped galvanized, they won't rust. My estimate includes the galvanizing, they'll be as rust resistant as any chain link fence out there.

Here's a representative picture:

1-2-16-304-Stainless-Steel-Flattened-Expanded-Metal.jpg

Last edited by Storman; Yesterday, 05:05 PM.

Comment

I used that stuff when I made my ramp for my trailer, I didn't get mine hot dipped for rust prevention since I painted it, so maybe that is where the price difference comes into play, but $100 per sheet seems really expensive compared to what it costs here.

Also is 4' going to be tall enough? Wouldn't the person climbing the fence be able to step on the piece of material 4' above the ground as a toe hold to go up and over?

Comment

I meant https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...RoC0qIQAvD_BwE
                  something like this-layered over your chainlink?

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by RandyL View Post
                    I used that stuff when I made my ramp for my trailer, I didn't get mine hot dipped for rust prevention since I painted it, so maybe that is where the price difference comes into play, but $100 per sheet seems really expensive compared to what it costs here.

Also is 4' going to be tall enough? Wouldn't the person climbing the fence be able to step on the piece of material 4' above the ground as a toe hold to go up and over?
                    I would imagine the 4' is the width and the 8' is the height.
                    MamaDuke

Comment

Right Mamaduke!

Comment

Originally posted by MamaDuke View Post

I would imagine the 4' is the width and the 8' is the height.
                        Yeah I suppose that will make more sense, though my fences are at 6 or 7' tall. Storman are your fences 8' tall or will you be cutting down each of the sheets? If you have to cut them down remember the cut edge won't be rust protected anymore. So you may want to paint it after if you have to cut it.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyL View Post

This expanded metal comes in many thicknesses and sizes. The 3/4" and 9 gauge is likely much heavier than what you used for your trailer ramp. The 4x8 sheets that I'm looking at cost about $60 each, but the added cost of galvanizing and delivering them to my facility is what bumps them to ~$100 each.

I don't want to either 1) paint two sides of 150' of this metal and make sure I don't miss a spot that will rust out or 2) pay someone else to do the same. for about $35 a panel I'll happily pay to have them submerged in galvanizing and completely sealed on every surface.

Mamaduke is right, I'll position them so that they're 8' tall, matching the chain link that is already there in height. That's why I'll need almost 40 of them to do 150'.

150'/4'= 36.5 panels

Comment

Originally posted by Storman View Post

This expanded metal comes in many thicknesses and sizes. The 3/4" and 9 gauge is likely much heavier than what you used for your trailer ramp. The 4x8 sheets that I'm looking at cost about $60 each, but the added cost of galvanizing and delivering them to my facility is what bumps them to ~$100 each.

I don't want to either 1) paint two sides of 150' of this metal and make sure I don't miss a spot that will rust out or 2) pay someone else to do the same. for about $35 a panel I'll happily pay to have them submerged in galvanizing and completely sealed on every surface.

Mamaduke is right, I'll position them so that they're 8' tall, matching the chain link that is already there in height. That's why I'll need almost 40 of them to do 150'.

150'/4'= 36.5 panels
                            Or you could electrify your current fence with a box/wire used for horses/cattle. IT won't ~kill~ them, but it packs a punch. I'd know, I've bumped into a few.

WA State

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KrisinNC
                              Reply to Expanded metal fencing... do you have experience with this?
                              by KrisinNC
                              Or you could electrify your current fence with a box/wire used for horses/cattle. IT won't ~kill~ them, but it packs a punch. I'd know, I've bumped into a few. ...
                              Yesterday, 09:44 PM
                            • evansr
                              Reply to Promotional ideas
                              by evansr
                              Same here, our unit occupancy has been a bit low, company average across our sites 86% (we've also added new units at a few sites), but our economic occupancy is at an all time high (percentage and dollar totals) due to consistent rate increases on all customers. We use storEDGE and push our discounts...
                              Yesterday, 09:13 PM
                            • Storman
                              Reply to Expanded metal fencing... do you have experience with this?
                              by Storman
                              This expanded metal comes in many thicknesses and sizes. The 3/4" and 9 gauge is likely much heavier than what you used for your trailer ramp. The 4x8 sheets that I'm looking at cost about $60 each, but the added cost of galvanizing and delivering them to my facility is what bumps them to ~$100...
                              Yesterday, 07:55 PM
                            Working...
                            X