Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Hello! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk! Please be patient with us as registration make take longer to process around the holidays. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Do you lock your empty units?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you lock your empty units?

I was curious, how many of you lock all of your empty units? We have 4 locations in my area and we have never had to do this until now. We had a massive ordeal stem from someone storing belongings in a unit they were not paying for. So now we are locking all of our units.
    How did this work for your facility? What are the pros and cons?
    Thanks in advance!

Yes we lock our empty units. It's to easy for people to get into the empty ones then go through the walls to other units. We are a drive up faciity so it is pretty open.

Comment

I have always locked all vacant units to avoid this issue or people tossing what they don't want into a vacant unit.

It also avoids people accidentally moving into the wrong vacant units.
      Last edited by MamaDuke; 3rd December 2019, 05:51 PM.
      MamaDuke

Comment

No lock but I do put a tag on them. I haven't, as of yet, experienced anyone leaving extra trash in an empty unit or storing overflow contents.
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

All of my empty units have a company lock on them. My lock doesn't come off until the customer puts theirs on.
          A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Comment

Company policy here is no. But, I wish we could as I have had people put trash in an empty unit.

Comment

Mine is the same as Merman

Comment

Yes-we have four separate colors-blue is for company units-storing equipment, const supplies, boxes/locks etc. Green is for reserved units, yellow is empty-ready to rent (should be clean!) and red is overlock. It makes keeping an eye out easy when you can see, at a glance, the status of the unit.
                Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Always lock. If someone were to move into the empty unit there is zero contract to evict the person whom has wrongfully moved into that unit.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Tiffanyann.
                    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by Tiffanyann View Post
                      Always lock. If someone were to move into the empty unit there is zero contract to evict the person whom has wrongfully moved into that unit.
                      They also have no contract showing they were ever in the unit so if I get rid of all their stuff they have no proof they were ever in there.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post
                        Yes-we have four separate colors-blue is for company units-storing equipment, const supplies, boxes/locks etc. Green is for reserved units, yellow is empty-ready to rent (should be clean!) and red is overlock. It makes keeping an eye out easy when you can see, at a glance, the status of the unit.
                        Wow, this is impressive! We swtiched to blue locks 2 years ago when the previous manager was fired but we use one for everything. Having different color locks for each scenario would make my daily inventory a lot easier!!!

Matt

Comment

We have always used cylinder locks. Every unit looks the same. every unit has a lock. If someone were to break in they may be trying to access a vacant unit. 20 year anniversary of lease one two weeks ago. We have had 3 attempted break ins, None successful.
                          I tell tenants that move out to make sure unit is locked and drop keys in mailbox outside the gate if I am not here. I tell them that an unlocked unit may be considered a dumpster to another tenant and if they left it unlocked it is their responsibility.
                          Joe Krezdorn
                          DAK Self Storage
                          Leesport, PA 19533
                          www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post
                            Same here, I wish we could have one more color though for damaged units, like orange maybe? The green locks we use for reserved units, units that need to be cleaned or damaged units. That's too many possibilities for one color.
                            You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

I lock empty units. I do not know why we would not? When we sweep out a moved out unit, put a lock on it. When someone moves in, you walk the customer to the unit to show it to them, so you remove the lock. I would like to hear the reasons not to lock an empty unit?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KrisinNC
                                Reply to Expanded metal fencing... do you have experience with this?
                                by KrisinNC
                                Or you could electrify your current fence with a box/wire used for horses/cattle. IT won't ~kill~ them, but it packs a punch. I'd know, I've bumped into a few. ...
                                Yesterday, 09:44 PM
                              • evansr
                                Reply to Promotional ideas
                                by evansr
                                Same here, our unit occupancy has been a bit low, company average across our sites 86% (we've also added new units at a few sites), but our economic occupancy is at an all time high (percentage and dollar totals) due to consistent rate increases on all customers. We use storEDGE and push our discounts...
                                Yesterday, 09:13 PM
                              • Storman
                                Reply to Expanded metal fencing... do you have experience with this?
                                by Storman
                                This expanded metal comes in many thicknesses and sizes. The 3/4" and 9 gauge is likely much heavier than what you used for your trailer ramp. The 4x8 sheets that I'm looking at cost about $60 each, but the added cost of galvanizing and delivering them to my facility is what bumps them to ~$100...
                                Yesterday, 07:55 PM
                              Working...
                              X