No announcement yet.

Caught a delinquent tenant moving out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught a delinquent tenant moving out.

So I'm checking my units today and I pull in in front of a vehicle with a trailer already loaded. I notice he is emptying out a unit that I thought I had overlocked, but must have missed it. Anyway he just gets in his vehicle sitting there waiting for me to move. I approach him and asked him for his past due payment. At first he claims he paid it, then backs off. I ask him to pay it now and he says he can pay it online. So I get my tablet and advise him we can go ahead and do it now. Then he back tracks again claiming he's completely broke, just trying to move his stuff to his mothers before another month is due. I check out his previous payments and he has two cards on file. He claims that both are cancelled; that he had someone making unauthorized charges on them.

At this point I realize I'm probably going to eat his past due amount. In a fleeting moment I think about telling him I'm not letting him out until he pays, but then that would probably have been a standoff. He promised to pay me January 7th when he gets paid. We'll see.

You'll never see or hear from him again. How did he even get in the facility if he's late enough to be overlocked?
    Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

I send All past due to collections with a collection fee added.
      It is amazing that some people will pay years later. My guess is they turned their life around and want to buy a house or car or even get a credit card.

I had one guy call the collection agency and say he never rented with us about 6 years prior. He ended up calling me and telling me the same thing.
      I pulled up the records and even found Lien Sale photos. I asked if this used to be his address, he confirmed and still denied. I read the last four of his social and DL # he again confirmed. He said someone must have used his ID. I told him the DL was in my hand at rental. I even told him the items in photos.

He ended up paying payments.
      Joe Krezdorn
      DAK Self Storage
      Leesport, PA 19533
      www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Originally posted by twotoejoe View Post
        So I'm checking my units today and I pull in in front of a vehicle with a trailer already loaded. I notice he is emptying out a unit that I thought I had overlocked, but must have missed it.
        Ten to one says he cut the lock

Comment

First, he got in because I have no fence or gate at this facility, never really needed one. I usually overlock units when they get 10 days or so past due. I overlock with a Disc Lock and have never had anyone cut one of those off in 20 years. I have had a couple of break ins where they cut the latch around lock, but never had anyone mess with an overlock.

Comment

I have only caught one tenant trying to move out when owed rent. We settled on half month and he was gone. I did have a repeat tenant that did that and when I moved her out of the system and gave her a note to never try to rent from me again. I then gave the warning to as many storage facilities I could to be on the look out for her.
            "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

If they leave during my grace period and don't leave me with a unit full of garbage i don't get too stressed about it. It happens. I suppose if you had a property that collected security deposits you could take it from there, but I don't bother with deposits since i have found them to be a hassle and not having them is a good selling point.

Comment

Originally posted by twotoejoe View Post
                First, he got in because I have no fence or gate at this facility, never really needed one. I usually overlock units when they get 10 days or so past due. I overlock with a Disc Lock and have never had anyone cut one of those off in 20 years. I have had a couple of break ins where they cut the latch around lock, but never had anyone mess with an overlock.
                We use the gold locks from Chateau, which people have tampered with on occasion here. (they usually aren't smart enough to mess with the latch.) I don't know if they're just that brazen or if they're desperate. We're also gated and all hallway doors have entry keypads, but that's more because of the area I think. Sounds like you're in an area that doesn't have the issues that would need one. Usually when someone see a disc lock they immediately leave them alone. What Brand of Disc Overlocks do you use?

Comment

I use the red disc locks from Chateau for overlocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_hajewski View Post
                    If they leave during my grace period and don't leave me with a unit full of garbage i don't get too stressed about it. It happens. I suppose if you had a property that collected security deposits you could take it from there, but I don't bother with deposits since i have found them to be a hassle and not having them is a good selling point.
                    I would have thanked him for being proactive and vacating! Sometimes loosing a bit of rent is better than being out a bunch of rent!

Comment

Originally posted by dakselfstorage View Post
                      It is amazing that some people will pay years later. My guess is they turned their life around and want to buy a house or car or even get a credit card.

I had one guy call the collection agency and say he never rented with us about 6 years prior. He ended up calling me and telling me the same thing.
                      I pulled up the records and even found Lien Sale photos. I asked if this used to be his address, he confirmed and still denied. I read the last four of his social and DL # he again confirmed. He said someone must have used his ID. I told him the DL was in my hand at rental. I even told him the items in photos.

I have never used a collection agency, but have always been curious about how they work for small accounts. Is there an agency you could recommend that I research? Thank you!

Comment

I will PM you. Not sure about advertising here.
                        Joe Krezdorn
                        DAK Self Storage
                        Leesport, PA 19533
                        www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Originally posted by dakselfstorage View Post

dakselfstorage,
                          I would be interested in learning about this collection agency as well.

Thanks-Gerry

Comment

If this is not allowed let me know or delete the Name and number
                            Here is PM I sent to GRCITYLIMITS

I use:
                            Keystone Credit services LLC
                            664 Furnace Hills Pike
                            Lititz, PA 17543
                            717-390-4860

In the past I have used a closer company. And one from Florida that had great rates but then they went dark. I could not reach them about our accounts or find their info online.

Keystone Has a website setup that you can see when the debtor was contacted and response.
                            We pay nothing unless they collect. I forget the %. I have one past tenant that owed over 800 bucks. Once a month I get a payment of about $37.00. Not much but at least I'm getting paid.
                            One person even had their daughter call me and tell me to call off my dogs. She said they were threatened with jail and were very belligerent and badgering toward her mother.
                            I found it odd that they would do this and called. Deb Rich from Company sent me the recording. The girl could not have been more friendly and never mentioned arrest or jail time.
                            There are a few states that they can't collect in. I remember two, one of which is New York and the other that I know was Michigan.
                            Give Deb a call and see if they can help.
                            I am not like some folks on here that just take the dept lying down. I want what is owed us or close to it. If we get nothing I have the satisfaction of knowing that their credit will be messed up for 7 years. Good luck getting a car loan or a credit card.
                            I pay ALL of my bills, why can't they. The economy has been slammin for the last few years.

I just looked at a payment statement. The fee we are paying is 25%

Joe
                            Last edited by dakselfstorage; 3rd January 2020, 01:14 PM.
                            Joe Krezdorn
                            DAK Self Storage
                            Leesport, PA 19533
                            www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Were in Michigan and we use a collection agent near by. Only one has paid. But that's more than we expected.I figure if nothing else, I mess with there credit score which I tell them before evicting them.

We also use them red locks from Chateau. We had one tenant cut one off his unit. I told him that was against the law and I was going to report him if any other problems. I use Disc Buster to remove disc locks. But I did have to cut one of the red locks off because "someone" tried to remove it with bolt cutters.
                              Last edited by Shelby Rd. Self Storage; 8th January 2020, 05:34 PM.
                              Bill & Dawn
                              Shelby Road Self Storage

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X