Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coronavirus

The World Health Organization today declared the coronavirus a global health emergency. The U.S. reported its first human-to-human transmission today. A woman who recently traveled to Wuhan, China, passed the virus to her husband.
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Ugh-remember the Swine flu? I was asst teaching at a Montessori school when one of our students contracted it, (there were a bunch of folks in SC that got it) and we closed the school for 2 days and scrubbed it down top to bottom. Then my brother's sister, who was pregnant got it and she and the baby passed away. I don't dismiss this lightly.
    Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

KrisinWA I'm so sorry to hear that. It's awful and I'm so sorry for your family.

Regarding the current coronavirus, I'm not believing the numbers out of China. "only" about 200 have passed from it so far, but look at them closing down cities, canceling New Year festivities etc. and with their high population. I'm pretty sure we're not getting the entire picture from their leaders. That would be like saying 3 people got sick so we're canceling the ball drop in Times Square on New Years. I'm no conspiracy theorist but the numbers aren't quite correlating for me.
      Gina 6k
      twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
      VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
      [email protected]

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
      I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

Originally posted by Gina6k View Post
        KrisinWA I'm so sorry to hear that. It's awful and I'm so sorry for your family.

Regarding the current coronavirus, I'm not believing the numbers out of China. "only" about 200 have passed from it so far, but look at them closing down cities, canceling New Year festivities etc. and with their high population. I'm pretty sure we're not getting the entire picture from their leaders. That would be like saying 3 people got sick so we're canceling the ball drop in Times Square on New Years. I'm no conspiracy theorist but the numbers aren't quite correlating for me.
        Thanks-and I completely agree with you . There's something fishy about their numbers and the overwhelming, if late, response.
        Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Much has changed since I first posted this. There have more than 100,000 cases worldwide and 3,000-plus deaths, including 12 in the U.S. The U.S. Senate yesterday approved $8.3 billion in emergency spending to combat the infection.

How is the virus affecting your business? Have you seen a slowdown in new rentals or an influx of late payments?

Self-storage operators come in contact with people, their stuff and their money every day. What extra precautions are you taking to safeguard yourself?

Also, what plans are in place for your business if you fall ill, are forced into mandatory quarantine or suspect you've come into contact with someone who might be infected?
          Amy Campbell
          Editor
          Inside Self-Storage
          [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

Spending more time at home/work. Clean the whole counter after a tenant comes in and clean the one pen that I let them use. Business is the same so far. When I took over here it was payment by cash or check only. Lines of vehicles and tenants here around the 1st. Now is all auto pay or pay at web site. Still some stragglers for cash and checks. I am just being extra careful and very observant of how anyone looks when they come in if they look like flu has hit them.
            "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

We haven't seen a decline in business. We are close to the Houston area where they just confirmed 4 cases of it. We currently have no plans to close down the office, if I get sick there are competent people who can take my place until I can return. Everyday, at least twice a day, I Lysol the office, all of it, pens you name it...I also Lysol the hall doors, keypads, light switches, everything anyone can touch, gets Lysol. We wash our hands frequently, I'm a hand wash nut anyway, anytime I touch money, checks, and most cards, I go straight to wash my hands. I have an issue with always touching my face and eyes so I try to become more aware and NOT DO IT! The store can be run from MyHub, partially & I have StorLogix on my phone as well, if we were to be forced close. Thankfully, the owners are awesome so if it were to get to serious status, we would not be made to come in. I do know that we have more illness and deaths per year from the flu, so I am not particularly too concerned at the moment. I do have an 11yo son so I try to do everything I can to keep myself sanitary to not bring home anything to him (he's usually the one that gets me sick though...go figure). Next week is spring break for his school so I don't have to worry for at lease that week, that he'll bring something home to me

Comment

I just mentioned to my wife that if it get bad, Maybe we should temporarily stop accepting cash.
                From what I have heard it sticks to cash for up to 9 days. Yikes!!
                Joe Krezdorn
                DAK Self Storage
                Leesport, PA 19533
                www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Wash the hands between customers or use Purell. Disinfect everything people touch: pens, light switches, door knobs, push bars, cart handles, etc..We have 9 deaths here in WA so far but they have all been centralized to one nursing home, and several new confirmed cases but no reported deaths outside that. My nephew is sick, he is a cook at an Asian restaurant and the owners all came back from China last month and spent a few days ta the restaurant while he was there, no one else got sick though.And, his symptoms don't match those of the virus.So, he has not been tested. Schools are closing all over the place for cleaning, and I imagine it is affecting work schedules as employees scramble to find babysitters for their kids. I have a trip coming up in 3 weeks and am worried it will have to be cancelled as they have a quarantined cruise ship off the coast and several dozen people in quarantine where we are going ( San Diego.) I got the insurance though so I may just have to reschedule.
                  You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

WASH your hands! Do the simple things to prevent germ spread from person to person. I'm definitely seeing A LOT of fear and paranoia driving peoples decision making. This actually feels like the type of event, that if not managed properly, will really mushroom into a lot of continued fear and misinformation which will eventually lead to serious impact for peoples lives and business/economy. It's pretty concerning.

Comment

I read or heard somewhere that you should use your knuckles not you finger tips to push elevator buttons. This is what I done yesterday. Make sense to me
                      Dave (Woodee) Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Madman View Post
                        WASH your hands! Do the simple things to prevent germ spread from person to person. I'm definitely seeing A LOT of fear and paranoia driving peoples decision making. This actually feels like the type of event, that if not managed properly, will really mushroom into a lot of continued fear and misinformation which will eventually lead to serious impact for peoples lives and business/economy. It's pretty concerning.
                        I absolutely agree with you Madman!
                        Stephanie Tharpe
                        President
                        A+ Management Group, LP
                        Nashville, TN
                        www.aplusmanagementgroup.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
                        www.tnssa.net

Comment

You're more likely to die from the regular flu than CV, I'm not worried about it.

The media is making a BIG deal about nothing

Comment

OK, now I am really convinced people are losing it.Costco, Walmart, Staples, Home Depot and Lowes, Safeway, Fred Meyers all out of toilet paper, limited water and hand sanitizer. I knew it was looking bleak out there and people are desperate to find it. I had a customer swipe a courtesy bottle of Purell off the counter when my back was turned.I didnt even notice it was gone until maybe 30 minutes after she left. I thought, oh- maybe it fell on the other side of the counter- nope, wasnt there. Hmmm... So I know it was there, because I just put out a new one this morning. Reviewed camera and found she stashed it in her purse! She now has a $5 charge on her account for the cost of the bottle. If she wants to argue the point I will gladly show her the footage. Thief! I mean come on, If she had asked me for it I would have sold it to her! She didnt have to steal it.
                            You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

I order it all through Amazon.
                              "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X