A Time for Discounts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Time for Discounts?

Some operators are offering new customers half off or a full month free to boost occupancy during the pandemic. What are your thoughts on this?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

No move in specials here. If price is the only concern, like these tenants would be, then I am the wrong facility for them.

I know, I know, I know, it works for other facilities but not here. Too many stories here from facilities that have problems with these tenants when they do these specials for rentals. I am a very picky renter.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Not my decision. We're up in rentals for the month, first time in about 3 months.
      Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

No discounts here either. They only thing I'm doing different is not going through with a price increase for my older tenants.

Comment

I did just offer tenants that pay for a year an extra 15 days on top of the 30 that I normally would give.
          I only started yesterday and so far one person in an over 200.00 per month unit took me up on it and another said they would pay 6 at the normal free date 15 days.
          Joe Krezdorn
          DAK Self Storage
          Leesport, PA 19533
          www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

We are not running any new discounts.
            Before the virus outbreak, there were already in place some $1. to move in but only because I have an abundance of 10x20 units available!
            Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

We have not offered new specials but we are continuing with specials that were already in place.
              Stephanie Tharpe
              President
              A+ Management Group, LP
              Nashville, TN
              www.aplusmanagementgroup.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
              www.tnssa.net

Comment

5x10 or smaller units here available. 10x10 or bigger are full and could rent 20 more of the bigger units. I think I have some businesses calling to store inventory or to get completely out of a brick and mortar building.

Comment

Not doing anything other than a free month with pre-payment of 11 months. We were told mid-February to discontinue, as of March 1, the one we'd been running for the last few years. I've had a few tenants say it wasn't right to end it now, but to be honest, they'd complain no matter when it was ended. Give people free stuff long enough and of course they'll complain when it's taken away. No one has vacated, though.
                  Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

Originally posted by DairyGirl View Post
                    Not doing anything other than a free month with pre-payment of 11 months. We were told mid-February to discontinue, as of March 1, the one we'd been running for the last few years. I've had a few tenants say it wasn't right to end it now, but to be honest, they'd complain no matter when it was ended. Give people free stuff long enough and of course they'll complain when it's taken away. No one has vacated, though.
                    That is exactly why I have said many times, "the only way to please an entitled person is to give them free stuff". Otherwise you are the villain.

Comment

pacnwstorage Yup
                      Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

My company is running some unit discounts on ones that we have a lot of, but I'm not sure I agree as the heavier the discount the more possibility of having to auction them off in a few months because they couldn't afford the unit without the discount. I'm not saying that is everyone, but there will be some...
                        Throw kindness around like Confetti - But don't get glitter in your eyes!

Comment

I've rented over 30 units in the past 10 days.

Comment

Originally posted by storage-gal View Post
                            I've rented over 30 units in the past 10 days.
                            Watch for people sleeping in units.

Comment

No discounts here. I haven't offered any move-in incentives since we opened in 1987. We continue to offer prepayment discounts of 5% and 10% for 6 or 12 months respectively, but nothing more than that. I've been renting at about the same rate as before the virus.

Some of you may remember my thread about raising the rents across the board, which I notified customers of on January 15, for a March 1 effective date. I think I had 3 move outs of people that referenced the increase, but all in all my move outs for March were lower than normal, so there was really no effect. I'm so happy I made the increase when I did, I think it will be awhile before we can raise rates without objection.
                              Last edited by Storman; 30th March 2020, 09:26 PM.
                              In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X