Cleaning units.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning units.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'm new and still figuring out how to search efficiently. Figured it couldn't hurt to start a new thread. I'm curious what the "norm" is for cleaning units. We don't have a definite protocol for cleaning units when we have move outs or just regular cleanings of the halls and what not. Is there a "Standard" that I should be following? Currently, I will sweep out the unit, use a small vacuum to get in the C-channel spaces and grease and adjust the doors as necessary. Should I be going further to mop the concrete? wipe down / disinfect the walls? If so, what do you use? I'm just kind of shooting from the hip currently. I just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. Any advise would be great. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum.

We sweep out the unit completely, knock down the cobwebs and adjust door travel and the roller bearings are greased. If the floor needs extra attention we deal with it on a case by case basis.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

We do exactly the same as PAC.

It is also a good idea to have 3 of each unit type ready to go at all times (or less depending on availability). Another thing we do is put a note in the unit notes with something like, Clean, Ready to Rent 04/15/2020. The date is very important!! It shows how long it has been since the unit was cleaned. It is very easy to move new tenants into a unit that just moved out because you know it is clean. By dating the units, you can select a few each day to go revisit after say, a month of vacancy. Those doors need to be opened regularly, mainly to make sure they are properly working, and the units should have a fresh sweep.
      Stephanie Tharpe
      President
      A+ Management Group, LP
      Nashville, TN
      www.aplusmanagementgroup.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
      www.tnssa.net

Comment

If you'd like, I can PM you the procedure in which we use when cleaning out a unit. We also do it on a monthly basis for all of our vacant units!

Comment

My regular routine is similar to what others have posted here. We do treat every clean unit for bugs which I don't think I saw mentioned.

We also go through all our units at the facilities 3-4 times a year, and re clean out any units that may have sat empty for a while. We also re apply the bug spray at those times as well.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyL View Post
            My regular routine is similar to what others have posted here. We do treat every clean unit for bugs which I don't think I saw mentioned.

We also go through all our units at the facilities 3-4 times a year, and re clean out any units that may have sat empty for a while. We also re apply the bug spray at those times as well.
            We have a pest control that comes out for the whole facility, including my office and living quarters. If at any time we see bugs in the empty units we can call them and they will make a no cost visit and spray the empty unit.
            "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post

We have a pest control that comes out for the whole facility, including my office and living quarters. If at any time we see bugs in the empty units we can call them and they will make a no cost visit and spray the empty unit.
              That is nice, though that wouldn't really help for the reason I put the perimeter in each of my empty units.

I spray around the boundaries of each unit to protect them from bugs coming from neighboring units. Anytime we have had bug issues they are generally brought to our facility by tenants from where ever they were at before. This provides unsuspecting tenants some layer of protection from that happening. Once the spray I used drys it will leave a residual behind that will continue to kill bugs.

Comment

I sweep, and if the tenant has been in there for awhile, or if seems unusually yucky I'll mop. I'll also use a lang handled duster to sweep up cobwebs etc.
                Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

I used to sweep out the units but one time while sweeping I inhaled a chemical product that was fine particles or had been liquid and dried, it was horrible. So I vacuum the floors, walls and inside of door. I use a generator, extension cord and small vacuum (5-6 gallon with wheels). There was the initial cost and the ongoing added cost of gas/oil mix, vacuum bags and the occasional attachment or hose needs to be replaced but the units show much better and I use the set-up for hallways and the outside driveways. Customers are quite complimentary on how clean the units are.

I replace the weatherstripping if needed and make door adjustments. Oil spots and the like, I use products from Dollar Tree and they seem to work pretty well. For tough cleaning, I usually consult the internet for hints and tips.

Relief joints, concrete cracks and units that share exterior walls, I spray termite spray and/or bug spray depending on what I see and seal the joint with concrete/mortar sealant. We have a monthly pest control but when I had him do the interior of units I was never satisfied and I did a better job for less. The pest control service will have access to stronger chemicals and treatments then off the shelf.

If you are on good terms with the tenant that is vacating a unit, you can ask them if they had any issues with the unit. They might help give insight into what needs to repaired.

You can shut the door to the unit and look for light along the roof line. If you walk along the roof a lot or have services that access your roof areas sometimes the flexing of the roof might cause a nail, screw or fastener to pop loose. If the unit has an exterior wall, settling and movement might pull the flashing from the wall. Of course, the light test only works if you do not have insulation along the ceiling - but you can look for old leaks or spots in the insulation that are discolored which might indicate water intrusion.

We do not really have rodents at my location, luckily, but I have seen bait and traps at other locations.

You want to keep trees and bushes away from the exterior walls and roof area - insects will use them to travel to units and find something yummy.

I usually do not mop, unless, it rained during the vacate and there are foot prints all over the inside of the unit. I do not disinfect, unless needed - had a tenant have a bad nose bleed in a hallway and cleaned with bleach, paper towels and multiple gloves.

I do not believe there is a right or wrong way to clean a unit, just personal preference. The most important thing is you want to make a good impression with the customer and turn them into a tenant. A clean unit or a 'Showcase' unit goes a long way towards getting that rental.

Comment

I use a leaf blower!!!!
                    Don't forget to sweep the inside of the roll up door and sweep off the bottom of doors threshold!
                    Nothing worse than rolling up a door and have dust and debris falling on top of your head!
                    Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

We will sweep,each unit gets pest control treatment-whether we see bugs or not. The reason for this is we have tons of folks moving here from southern states ( and some eastern states as well) that bring all sorts of friends with them-roaches,bedbugs, you name it- so we use and industrial bug spray around inside perimeter of unit, followed by mopping with heavy scented cleaner like Pine Sol or Fabuloso to cover the bug spray smell. It works pretty well, our units are all inside a climate controlled building and in the 2+ years I have been at this property not a single complaint. Occasionally we use a de-greaser on floors for tenants who leave behind messy units.Once every six months or so I will have maintenance wipe down the walls of the vacant unit interior, and exterior door because of dust buildup.
                      You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post
                        I use a leaf blower!!!!
                        Don't forget to sweep the inside of the roll up door and sweep off the bottom of doors threshold!
                        Nothing worse than rolling up a door and have dust and debris falling on top of your head!
                        I absolutely love our leaf blower and use it for this too! I use it for just about anything I can haha!

Comment

Pretty over the top here but our owners will white glove test the walls.... Sweep out, every nook and cranny, dusters from top of every wall to bottom, close the unit with you and a light inside and clean the entire back of the door, bug spray around perimeter, rat bait in corners, close it up, clean outside of door if a inside unit. In 8 years of this with multiple companies i've never had a single one suggest/ask me to grease doors or adjust them. Any spring/door work is for vendors everywhere i've been other than replacing latches and popping them back into track when needed.

The dust blower is nice when have a lot to clean in a short time and not worried about full cleaning. The amount of dust blown up that resettles in the unit after using a dust blower pretty much makes it like it never got done if you're going for a truly clean unit.

Comment

I was quite reluctant to go the leaf blower way.
                            That was until I actually did it!
                            Yes, it can kick up a lot of dust and the weather conditions can play a roll, if it is too windy that day I most times have to use the broom.
                            It will depend on location of unit and the wind speeds!
                            What I have found is if I go in with my broom and wipe down all the walls, this will kick up the dust.
                            I start the leaf blower and just start to walk inside on the right.
                            I continue walking in and guide the blower inside and then come back and come out the left side!
                            Most times I will go back in 2 and 3 times as the final passes will blow out that dust that will blow up!
                            I keep in my office and old work hoodie and I do wear it with the hood up to try and stop the dust and crap from flying in my hair and on my clothes.
                            It works for me and I was very hesitant about even trying it!
                            Man, was I wrong!
                            I love it!
                            Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelaESSTX View Post
                              If you'd like, I can PM you the procedure in which we use when cleaning out a unit. We also do it on a monthly basis for all of our vacant units!
                              That would be great. I'm open to all options.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X