Lien Notices & Auctions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lien Notices & Auctions

Has anybody started sending lien notices yet? I have a handful of tenants who were either 30 days past due, or very close to it when we closed our office at the end of March. I decided at that time to stop all lien activity until things started to open up again. Two owe close to $700 and one is just over $400. There are others but these 3 are my largest ones. I honestly don't see any of them coming up with that much, or more by the time I get notices out. It's possible some of them haven't been working and are having difficulty getting unemployment. Being in Florida, our unemployment system sucks and many have not received anything. While my office is still not open to the public, everything else is with modified hours or other restrictions of some kind. A few facilities in the area have never stopped having auctions, I think it's time for me to get things going again. I've decided June 1 is when I will mail notices to these tenants. I can either jump right in and send lien notices, or, start out with sending a lock cut notice that lets them know if they don't pay by the date in that notice, they will then receive a lien notice. I'm trying to be sensitive to the situation (knowing full well some may be taking advantage of it), but at the same time I can't let all these people off the hook.
    Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

I would start with the Lock Cut Notice and maybe a prelien notice a few days after. This helps in the sense that you look like you're trying to be sympathetic by warning them before they lose their stuff. Maybe make a courtesy call, as well. If they decide not to talk with you about it or try to work something out, you know they don't really care about their stuff. I don't mind working with people, but let me know something!

Comment

Also in Florida, and we have also re-started the auction process. Quite frankly, I'm amazed at how many people ARE coming up with the money owed! I am trying to contact people so they know our intentions, but these are all the same people we've had problems with in the past, so no surprise when they dont answer the phone or respond to email. They still have a couple of months before the auction, so there is still time to work things out.

Comment

I really do feel sorry for the managers/owners that now have to play catch up with all this because you can bet there are tenants will play the entitlement card and want it all forgiven and trash you if you don't. They will also talk about suing someone and how you are not following lease policies.
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
          I really do feel sorry for the managers/owners that now have to play catch up with all this because you can bet there are tenants will play the entitlement card and want it all forgiven and trash you if you don't. They will also talk about suing someone and how you are not following lease policies.
          That's one of the reasons I didn't hesitate to still send out lock cut notices and prelien notices during this whole time. We didn't cut locks, but I still kept everything the same so when June comes and we cut their locks, you were forewarned.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelaESSTX View Post

That's one of the reasons I didn't hesitate to still send out lock cut notices and prelien notices during this whole time. We didn't cut locks, but I still kept everything the same so when June comes and we cut their locks, you were forewarned.
            As it should be. Delaying the lock cut to a later date because of the pandemic does not mean that the time sensitive notices should not be sent out.

Comment

We cancelled our March auction and did not have one in April or May however we did send out notices for a June auction and will proceed with that one.
              The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

We have been sending late notices, but not lien notices. We suspended auctions until August. But we only have 4 on our auction list at the moment, actually, make that 3, one paid today. As I said on another post, I am waiting for one more to go to lien and auction 3 of them before August, 2 units belong to a tenant that is deceased, and one is abandoned. The other one will pay. I'm actually impressed with how many have been paying, our delinquencies have been under 5% this whole time. I thought for sure it be up around 10!
                "I don't understand your specific kind of crazy but I do admire your total commitment to it!"

Comment

I sent out 3 lock cut notices yesterday. We'll see what happens.

Comment

Sent out notices as normal (slightly friendlier wording). We did decide to delay auctions for April & May, but will be resuming for June. I get the "not following lease" or getting sued stuff, but I'm ok with it. They still got the letters about being past due, so I think we will be ok.

Comment

"I get the "not following lease" or getting sued stuff." During the pandemic, hard and fast rules/regulations/policies have been tamed down and any court would see that.

Comment

We have not resumed pre-lien or final lien notices just yet. The powers that be are having meeting this week to discuss that so I'm sure I will be informed soon on how to proceed.We have 3 that have been ready to auction since February so those are ready to go, no notices needed. I have 2 more that still need the final notices mailed out. They still have not attempted to communicate with us. I have left several messages and sent emails letting them know now is the time to call us as we are offering pay half and move out same day option. I got crickets over here.... If people would learn to communicate about their auction units it would be so much easier!
                        You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

They don't communicate and then tell you to your face that they never got any of your attempts to contact. The entitled masses thinking they run things instead of just being the asses they are.

Comment

We had an auction this month, so ..........

Comment

Originally posted by Billings Storage View Post
                              We had an auction this month, so ..........
                              Well, now I don't feel so bad for getting started on mine.
                              By the way...it's been 3 days since I mailed my cut lock notices. All local. Not a peep from any of them yet.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X