Replacing rubber on bottom of doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing rubber on bottom of doors

We have Roll-A-Flex doors and we need to replace the rubber on the bottom of many of the doors. However, we can’t figure out how to get the old out and put in the new! We thought it was sandwiched between the metal part held on by the big screws, but it’s not! Does anyone know how to replace them?!

I'll have to ask our maintenance guy for more details, but I think it slides out to one side. I know that it's somewhat tricky to do.

I have a question though, where did you buy those replacement rubber pieces? We were struggling to find a good match.

Comment

Where the seal attaches at the bottom, there is a small channel from one side to the other. The seal slides in this. The ends of the channel are typically pinched to keep seal in. You can drive a wedge in that pinch, from outside the rail if you line up with a hole in the track or from inside out. You can use a chisel or a large screwdriver to spread the wedge pinch. Spray some lube in the track and when you have the hole in the track aligned with the end of the seal, grab it and pull the seal thru the hole in the track. Install the same way after cleaning and lubing the track seam.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
        Where the seal attaches at the bottom, there is a small channel from one side to the other. The seal slides in this. The ends of the channel are typically pinched to keep seal in. You can drive a wedge in that pinch, from outside the rail if you line up with a hole in the track or from inside out. You can use a chisel or a large screwdriver to spread the wedge pinch. Spray some lube in the track and when you have the hole in the track aligned with the end of the seal, grab it and pull the seal thru the hole in the track. Install the same way after cleaning and lubing the track seam.
        Also what we have done is use a small propane torch and melt the rubber out of the pinched part and then it makes it easy to spread apart and usually
        don't have to pinch it back
        Dave (Woodee) Scott

Comment

Thanks, everyone! We’re going to try these techniques. You’d think they’d make it easier to swap these out, it would be so much better if they were just sandwiched between the metal pieces

Comment

Originally posted by bnr_manager View Post
            I'll have to ask our maintenance guy for more details, but I think it slides out to one side. I know that it's somewhat tricky to do.

I have a question though, where did you buy those replacement rubber pieces? We were struggling to find a good match.
            We haven’t bought the replacements yet. We were taking them off to measure the “T” portion so I could order the correct ones. I’ll prob ask amongst the FB groups to see if anyone has ordered these from anywhere. I’ll let you know what I find out!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyC View Post

We haven’t bought the replacements yet. We were taking them off to measure the “T” portion so I could order the correct ones. I’ll prob ask amongst the FB groups to see if anyone has ordered these from anywhere. I’ll let you know what I find out!
              Appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by bnr_manager View Post

Google search BULB SEALS
                Let me look around for who my supplier was!
                Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

https://www.google.com/search?q=Roll...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Comment

Originally posted by WendyC View Post
                    We have Roll-A-Flex doors and we need to replace the rubber on the bottom of many of the doors. However, we can’t figure out how to get the old out and put in the new! We thought it was sandwiched between the metal part held on by the big screws, but it’s not! Does anyone know how to replace them?!
                    Did you try and call Roll A Flex with that number in the picture?

Comment

Okay I found my supplier!!!

DBCI
                      Douglasville GA
                      800-542-0601

Houston TX
                      800-980-4847

Comment

I open the door halfway, use a crow bar to pop the left side of the door out of the frame, then i pry the clamped edge apart with a flat head driver, slide the astragal out and a new one in, re-clamp, pop the door back in and straighten the frame. Takes about 5 minutes per door unless I get a really stubborn clamp/crimp. Some people don't re-clamp but I find that if I don't I get a lot of shrinkage and have to replace the astragal more often.

Comment

I despise this job, but got quite fast at it at a previously-managed facility with many dry-rotted 20+ year old seals that needed to be replaced.

First of all, we used Chateau product C-1200 (Bulb Seal Roll-Up Door Grey Weatherstrip Roll of 200 ft.).

Secondly, this was my process:
                          1. remove the door stops from the top of the door tracks
                          2. pull the door out of the tracks and back down into the unit
                          3. use a flat-head screwdriver to pry the crimps out of the ends of the door seal track until you are able to pull out the old seal (this is the worse part, where you are tempted to shout cuss words you didn't even know you knew)
                          4. use a door latch or similar thin, strong piece of metal (even the door stop) to slide into the door track and slightly pry it down along the entire length on at least one side to make it easier to slide the new seal in (this step may be unnecessary, depending on how tall the channel is)
                          5. slide the new seal in and trim flush with the ends of the channel
                          6. use large locking pliers or something similar to crimp the ends of the channel back to keep the new seal from sliding
                          7. reverse steps 2 and 1

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X