Lightning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightning

Ugh. 2020 just keeps delivering! Lightning struck one of our buildings or very close to it... a customer on the other end of the property saw it and then had to call me for help when the gate would not open for him. Fortunately no injuries or obvious physical damage. Seems to have damaged my office PC, at least a part of the camera system, gate controller, and keypads. The insomniac kiosk appears to have survived... originally had an offline error message but rebooted without a problem.

Does anyone here know if there is much of a trick to replacing PTI VP series keypads? I think I might try diving into these myself since service calls are not cheap. Seems like something I should learn.

It is really easy to replace the key pads. I would recommend buying a good hex sized screw driver for the process that fits the screws. Otherwise I believe each key pad only has 4 or 5 wires connected to it. Very easy to just take the wires off and reapply them on the new keypad.

Comment

Also depending on cost, call your Insurance Company.

Several years back we had a strike that hit 3 of 6 keypads. The style we had were no longer available. Insurance paid to change all six along with the new wiring required less the deductible.
      Joe Krezdorn
      DAK Self Storage
      Leesport, PA 19533
      www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Glad to hear there were no injuries at least.
        Kevin Kerr
        Storage Commander Cloud Software
        k[email protected]
        Direct - 951.867.4732

Comment

Side note on lightning strike.

One of our buildings we had to re-ground, put two instead of one ground stakes. NVR and two cameras got fried. Twice in six months. None for the last year. Sometimes if very old, need to pull out and knock the rust (or if copper, soil surrounding it) off. Easier to put a second one in. One of the states we are in, required 18 foot laid sideways in the ground for the ground rod.

Also our security guy, put us on these for our NVR's, computers and electronics.

Both a Surge protector and a battery pack. Battery lasts for about 2 hours for NVR recording. Pretty expensive, but the other electronics are saved. Have them at all of our locations.

surge1.pngsurge2.png

Comment

Definitely put all electronics on the surge protector/battery backup. It's saved my bacon a couple of times (when I lived in Charlotte, NC)
            Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Everything is actually on APC brand surge/battery packs, but I guess if the lightning is close enough they can only do so much. I might need to look into better grounding methods for the buildings.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_hajewski View Post
                Everything is actually on APC brand surge/battery packs, but I guess if the lightning is close enough they can only do so much. I might need to look into better grounding methods for the buildings.
                Wow, bummer! At the main box I'd put in a whole building surge protector. Copper rods are definitely a DIY project. My ex and I put in our own (years ago). We had red clay so it was an exercise in cussing, but we got it done.
                I'm honestly surprised that your APC's didn't cut it. We had lightning strike our power line and start a fire and our computers were okay after the *boom*, (my scream) the fire department and power restored. Don't forget-the APC's usually have their own insurance to pay for your things included.
                Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Storman
                  Reply to Charging a deposit
                  by Storman
                  I hold a $30 fully refundable deposit. It's extremely useful.

1) I make a big point in my phone pitch, email response and in-person tour of telling the customer that I do not charge ANY fees. No admin fee, no computer fee, no setup fee, no fees whatsoever that all the REITs around me are...
                  Yesterday, 11:03 PM
                • CoolAir
                  Reply to Charging a deposit
                  by CoolAir
                  We charge a non-refundable Admin Fee of $25 which includes disc lock, key ring, pen and letter opener (to open disc lock). No complaints yet....
                  Yesterday, 04:56 PM
                • Clarkstoragellc
                  Reply to Photo Thread
                  by Clarkstoragellc
                  Other things to do with a Storage location. Spending more time at the new location, so made it more homey. Flowers in full bloom. Eggplant, peppers and tomatoes starting to come in.

Yesterday, 01:24 PM
                Working...
                X