Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have the winner of 'dumb things tenants store'.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have the winner of 'dumb things tenants store'.

For months we've been smelling something like rotting garbage on one end of our building. Sometimes it goes away for a few days but then comes back with a vengeance. Currently it smells like a decomposing body.
    We tried to get in contact with the tenant (after doing the process of elimination with other tenants) but bupkis, until finally I got permission from my company to cut the lock and see what the *heck* is the smell!!!
    So, we're geared up to cut lock on Fri-and Thurs the tenant FINALLY emails, "Oh yeah, I've been sick. We 'accidentally' stored plastic bags full of frozen dog food. I'm hiring movers to come out Monday to move stuff around (10x20 unit) so a relative can pull the bags out. Sorry about that.

What.
    Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

sheesh. Hopefully you don't have a rat problem now too. I had a customer store canned and boxed food, I think he was a depression-era baby and resolved to never go hungry again. After he passed away, we opened his unit to find dozens and dozens of boxes and bags with empty tin cans and shredded bedding everywhere. The rats had chewed through the metal and eaten the contents of every tin can, box of food and even drank dozens of cans of beer. EVERYTHING was emptied.

We figured this was the party unit for rats for hundreds of yards in each direction. We then found the dried out skeletons of a whole rat family. Man, the stories those guys could tell their friends, I bet it was epic.
    Last edited by Storman; 5 July 2020, 09:04 PM.
    In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

We've put traps out just in case. Ugh.

WA State

Comment

Wow that's pretty gross!!!!

On a more seasoned but less gross note ... I once had a tenant call up on a Monday and say that their finally prepared, herbed and spiced full salmon for the BBQ had gone missing over their weekend move. LOL! Sure enough they had accidentally stored it! But at least it wasn't smelly ... yet.

Comment

How are you in that much of a hurry? I just can't wrap my mind around it.

WA State

Comment

Ugh. We had a customer store a cooler full of meat and ice packs into our temperature controlled spaces. It took weeks for the halls to start smelling so it was nearly impossible to figure out exactly where it was coming from. Finally, a caretaker for the customer came in and told us about it. They knew they shouldn't be storing food, but thought they could get away with it since the building is temperature controlled.

Why on earth do people store food? I'm sure we all have clauses in our contracts and explicitly tell every customer that it's not allowed and yet, the one thing ANYONE can take with them wherever they move, is put in storage to attract rodents. Birdseed is another one we get a ton of people saying "I didn't realize that is considered food"

Comment

I had a lady come into the office and complain about rodent feces in the back of her unit. She denied storing any food, but when I went back to look at the unit I noticed there were decorative containers with rice in them...she said "But that's rice, that's not food!!". *insert face palm emoji here*

Comment

Originally posted by dtinfla View Post
                I had a lady come into the office and complain about rodent feces in the back of her unit. She denied storing any food, but when I went back to look at the unit I noticed there were decorative containers with rice in them...she said "But that's rice, that's not food!!". *insert face palm emoji here*
                Lol, no way. Good grief.

WA State

Comment

Seriously! I think they just play dumb because they get caught. Last year I had a customer moving in restaurant equipment from his business that closed. I told him he had to clean every piece, no grease or food particles on or in any of the equipment. He said, oh no, no everything is tip top shape, very very clean......When the movers arrived, I followed them back to the unit when they brought in the refrigerator and the ovens. I said, OK, please open those so I can inspect them. They didnt know what to do. So I opened them and of course they were NOT cleaned and had tons of dried on food, grease and pieces of food inside the oven and the fridge STILL. HAD. MEAT. INSIDE...... I told them to take it back outside, right now.They called the tenant, the tenant came down to the office and argued with me that I was costing him money by making him move his stuff again.Too bad so sad. You lied to me, I caught you. I closed the unit door locked it, called our home office to get approval for refund, said the customer had not moved in yet and had a change of heart, would not be needing after all. NO way was I going to deal with rancid stinking meat smell in an enclosed building and the rats it would attract.
                  You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

I've given up just saying food and tell them anything that was at one time edible, like your kid's 2nd grade pasta art, should not be stored. Don't think it makes a difference really, but makes for amusing conversation.

Comment

I've had two tenants that I know of in the past year store refrigerators that still contained food! One of them had the nerve to ask why his unit stunk while he was moving out and thought it might be mouse urine...ummm, no....that's the smell of the rotting food oozing out from your freezer that's been sitting in storage for a year.

Comment

Originally posted by T_Champeau View Post

I've given up just saying food and tell them anything that was at one time edible, like your kid's 2nd grade pasta art, should not be stored. Don't think it makes a difference really, but makes for amusing conversation.
                        We have a tenant that is a local charity and they had been storing rice to make draft dodgers for senior citizens in the winter. I also had to change how I stated things after that!

Comment

Hah! Just had a customer complain of mice. I ask is there anything that was edible or once edible in there, anything strongly scented? Customer, "Of course not! I took all the spices to my house." Ok. I look at the unit and immediately see containers for vitamins, medicine, etc. several open coffee cans and a bait and tackle box for fishing. And that's just what I can see, since the whole thing is jammed packed. Not sure I want to know how you are taking your coffee and vitamins if it isn't orally.

Comment

The unit was PACKED. He hired movers to come and move stuff so his sister could gather it (the smelly, rotten dogfood) up and take it away. smh.

WA State

Comment

Geeze.
                              We had the exact thing happen a while ago. When I went to check he said that he had bought expensive spices and stored them. I told him that is not allowed and he said it wasn't food...it was spices.
                              The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• RandyL
                                Reply to Disaster In Iowa
                                by RandyL
                                Clarkstoragellc T_Champeau

Thanks for the great advice luckily this is not my first disaster. But I have come across many lessons learnt that I will need to improve on for the future. In regards to tenant notifications, and use of cloud computing software.

I have just...
                                Today, 01:46 AM
                              • Clarkstoragellc
                                Reply to New startup business in the midwest....
                                by Clarkstoragellc
                                Do your return and profitability calcs. Parking has a very low return compared to storage. Not a very good first storage investment, unless you happened to find cheap wasteground, or cheap ground that already had hardsurface....
                                Yesterday, 06:23 PM
                              • Clarkstoragellc
                                Reply to New startup business in the midwest....
                                by Clarkstoragellc
                                Customer Considerations:
                                CONSIDERATIONS FOR RV OR VEHICLE STORAGE

A. Pull through- The front, pull as far forward as possible, gives the person next to you an easier angle to turn into, from behind you. Align your front with the fronts of all other vehicles. Be...
                                Yesterday, 06:22 PM
                              Working...
                              X