someone has moved in to a unit without our knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• someone has moved in to a unit without our knowledge

So we'er really new at this so could use any advise. I was doing a walk through and noticed a lock on a unit that is not rented. I came back to the office and checked to see if their was a reservation or something, nothing. I immediately put an over lock on the unit. I have reviewed camera footage until I'm seeing it in my sleep. It has to be a existing tenant but I'm not sure who. I have made a couple inquiry of the few tenants that entered that building in the time frame but have heard nothing back or been assured that it was not them. I don't know how to handle this any differently then I have, How do you handle "Squatters"

Cut the lock and see if there is anything in it. If there are boxed items, look for amazon shipping labels etc for a clue. If it looks like a typical unit of stuff put a lock on it until they come back and sign a contract.

If they have no contract with you for that unit, they don't have the usual rights that an actual tenant has. This is trespassing, not renting.

Comment

Double check recent move ins to see if someone moved into the wrong unit.

Comment

I would double-check any recent move-ins to ensure someone didn't go into the wrong unit. This is one of the reasons why we DaVinci locks to ensure people use the right units, and folks don't help themselves to another unit.

Comment

As others have said, check recent move ins. Just had it happen at a site here, checked the recent move ins, 1 phone call and it was resolved. Since you mentioned you're new, something you should do if you're not already is a daily walk through of your property. If you are checking each unit daily you would have the reports to know what day it first got put on the unit. You could then narrow down footage to any gate activity for that day to find the issue pretty quickly.

If all of that fails you could either overlock it and wait for someone to come in questioning it or you could do as the others said and cut the lock to look for clues. I'd advise if you do cut the lock have someone video the entire act from outside the unit showing the entirety of the unit from the time you're cutting the lock until the time you seal it up to prevent any issues of someone claiming you took items from the unit.

Comment

To avoid this in the future-Lock all of your empty units with a colored lock. It's an extra step but worth it.
            Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

I always stay as far away from cutting a lock as I can, too many people look for an opportunity to mess with you.

Comment

You were right on putting a manager's over lock on the unit.
                Wait 24 hours ONLY
                Cut the lock 10 am in the morning.
                have a witness with you.
                Cut the lock, open the door and take pictures BEFORE you cross the threshold and look around for any personal markings, such as a name and/or an address.
                This is not a tenant and they are trespassing and stealing too!
                Cut the lock ASAP!
                Good luck and please keep us posted!
                Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Thank you all for your advice. It has all been handled.

Comment

Originally posted by Brockmanager View Post
                    Thank you all for your advice. It has all been handled.
                    Please keep us posted as I am curious as to if it was a wrong unit move in, transfer that never completed, garbage from a moved out tenant that put their lock on it knowing you would have a procedure to follow as to not make it obvious it was them or a squatter....lol

Comment

One of the local facilities near us just had an incident where someone moved out, and hired a local moving company to move their stuff because they were already out of state. The relief manager reviewed the paperwork,made sure the lock cut authorization paperwork was in order, verified the unit number and then let the moving company in to access the unit BUT the moving company cut the wrong lock and moved the contents of the wrong unit all the way across country. Upon doing a lock check a few days later they realized the mix up. The mover tried to say its not his responsibility . After having the attorney review all the footage and documents they determined that while storage facility may have been slightly negligent in allowing them to cut a tenants lock without supervision but the fault lays with the moving company.(Mainly because the lease says the storage facility is not responsible even in the event of negligence.) So the moving company now has to pay to get the wrong units stuff shipped back here AND ship the correct stuff out.I said all that to say this: Make sure somebody didn't move out the wrong unit Weird things do happen!
                      You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

We have a moving company that rents multiple unites. it turned out that it was his company. He didn't tell us and was avoiding my calls. I had my owner call from his phone and the tenant answered on the first ring. So to make what could be a long story short he is now payed in full for this additional unit. Alls well that ends well.

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post
                          One of the local facilities near us just had an incident where someone moved out, and hired a local moving company to move their stuff because they were already out of state. The relief manager reviewed the paperwork,made sure the lock cut authorization paperwork was in order, verified the unit number and then let the moving company in to access the unit BUT the moving company cut the wrong lock and moved the contents of the wrong unit all the way across country. Upon doing a lock check a few days later they realized the mix up. The mover tried to say its not his responsibility . After having the attorney review all the footage and documents they determined that while storage facility may have been slightly negligent in allowing them to cut a tenants lock without supervision but the fault lays with the moving company.(Mainly because the lease says the storage facility is not responsible even in the event of negligence.) So the moving company now has to pay to get the wrong units stuff shipped back here AND ship the correct stuff out.I said all that to say this: Make sure somebody didn't move out the wrong unit Weird things do happen!
                          Oh my gosh.....that is bananas.....lol.....Out of the 16yrs I've been doing storage, we never allow a tenant or moving company under any circumstances to cut the locks themselves, mainly so they don't damage the units but also so they are not cutting the wrong lock.

Comment

Brockmanager do you put a manager over-lock on all empty/vacant units?
                            If you do not, this is a really good example of why you should!
                            Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by Brockmanager View Post
                              We have a moving company that rents multiple unites. it turned out that it was his company. He didn't tell us and was avoiding my calls. I had my owner call from his phone and the tenant answered on the first ring. So to make what could be a long story short he is now payed in full for this additional unit. Alls well that ends well.
                              Thanks for the update Brockmanager. Glad it ended well and on the plus side you now have another paid rented unit lol, even though the moving company got away with who knows how long of free rent... The nerve of some ppl. I love how tenants after a while tend to think because they rent a unit there, suddenly they think they own the place and can do as they please.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• RandyL
                                Reply to Disaster In Iowa
                                by RandyL
                                Clarkstoragellc T_Champeau

Thanks for the great advice luckily this is not my first disaster. But I have come across many lessons learnt that I will need to improve on for the future. In regards to tenant notifications, and use of cloud computing software.

I have just...
                                Today, 01:46 AM
                              • Clarkstoragellc
                                Reply to New startup business in the midwest....
                                by Clarkstoragellc
                                Do your return and profitability calcs. Parking has a very low return compared to storage. Not a very good first storage investment, unless you happened to find cheap wasteground, or cheap ground that already had hardsurface....
                                Yesterday, 06:23 PM
                              • Clarkstoragellc
                                Reply to New startup business in the midwest....
                                by Clarkstoragellc
                                Customer Considerations:
                                CONSIDERATIONS FOR RV OR VEHICLE STORAGE

A. Pull through- The front, pull as far forward as possible, gives the person next to you an easier angle to turn into, from behind you. Align your front with the fronts of all other vehicles. Be...
                                Yesterday, 06:22 PM
                              Working...
                              X