Meth-Lab Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meth-Lab Fire

A man was killed in a fire at a Nashville facility. Investigators believe a meth lab was operating out of the unit.

Have you ever suspected or discovered a meth lab at your site? What tipped you off? How would keep this from happening a your facility?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Yikes! Ive suspected a few tenants of doing meth but never suspected a meth lab. I'm Curious- was there an onsite manager? Did they notice a lot of traffic to that unit? Glad no one else was on site, could have been much worse!

According to the Dept of Justice website here are the signs of a possible meth lab:
    The following, often in combination, may indicate the presence of a methamphetamine laboratory:
    • Unusual odors (ether, ammonia, acetone, or other chemicals)
    • Excessive amounts of trash, particularly chemical containers (see list of products and equipment), coffee filters or pieces of cloth that are stained red, and duct tape rolls
    • Curtains always drawn or windows covered with aluminum foil or blackened on residences, garages, sheds, or other structures
    • Evidence of chemical waste or dumping
    • Frequent visitors, particularly at unusual times
    • Extensive security measures or attempts to ensure privacy (no trespassing or beware of dog signs, fences, large trees or shrubs)
    • Secretive or unfriendly occupants

You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

I've kicked out tenants after catching them using drugs onsite. Currently we have a tenant with three 8x20 units and she acts very unusual, coming in at odd hours but never done anything I can kick her out for. Maybe she is just an odd person, maybe she's up to no good, we are defiantly keeping an eye on her.

Comment

As I'm an interior facility I'm not a target for something like this. Meth making STINKS and it would be too easy to figure out here.
        Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

I was really shocked to see that this happened at a REIT. Without jumping to conclusions and say that the manager obviously wasn't paying attention to the facility, I'd be interested to know if they do kiosk rentals and maybe there was no one there since it was a holiday. Maybe they were just moving in and this happened.... Have a hard time believing that someone could operate a meth lab on a site and no managers notice.

Comment

Originally posted by SimplySpace View Post
            I was really shocked to see that this happened at a REIT. Without jumping to conclusions and say that the manager obviously wasn't paying attention to the facility, I'd be interested to know if they do kiosk rentals and maybe there was no one there since it was a holiday. Maybe they were just moving in and this happened.... Have a hard time believing that someone could operate a meth lab on a site and no managers notice.
            I'll bet that you're right. Remote move in, no one sees the guy and then boom.
            Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• JulieA
              Reply to Cleaning Hacks
              by JulieA
              I am looking for recommendations for a battery operated leaf blower/vac combo. Battery operated backpack sprayer. And cleaning carts! I would love to see pictures of cleaning carts and the supplies you use! Trying to make some changes!
              Today, 09:55 AM
            • RandyL
              Reply to Disaster In Iowa
              by RandyL
              Clarkstoragellc T_Champeau

Thanks for the great advice luckily this is not my first disaster. But I have come across many lessons learnt that I will need to improve on for the future. In regards to tenant notifications, and use of cloud computing software.

I have just...
              Today, 01:46 AM
            • Clarkstoragellc
              Reply to New startup business in the midwest....
              by Clarkstoragellc
              Do your return and profitability calcs. Parking has a very low return compared to storage. Not a very good first storage investment, unless you happened to find cheap wasteground, or cheap ground that already had hardsurface....
              Yesterday, 06:23 PM
            Working...
            X