When COVID-19 Strikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When COVID-19 Strikes

MamaDuke recently shared someone within her company was exposed to the virus. Another owner I know told me five of her employees have tested positive. What are your plans in case someone in your company is exposed to COVID-19 or tests positive?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

We are a vendor to self-storage - so not a facility- with an office and warehouse. My wife had potential exposure at the hospital she works at because someone else was exposed and didn't notify anyone for a week. As a result my wife, my son and myself all stayed home for a day waiting for the test results. Then at work there was an uproar and they broke everything down and disinfected it just to be safe.

Fortunately the test came back negative and fortunately we sell disinfectant so they were able to pull a couple gallons off the shelf and nuke everything. Probably best of all both my wife's office and mine are masks on at all times so we dogged the bullet but still it was a significant disruption. The best plan for us is prevention, limiting our exposure even outside of work, masks at all times, hand sanitizers and wipes in multiple places, disinfect that facility regularly and not going in if sick. Since we are a small crew if we had an exposure and a positive test it would have a potentially devastating affect for the company.

If you have a few facilities you might be able to pull resources from other locations temporarily while people get tested I guess. Other than that keep people from working in groups when possible, wear masks, disinfect regularly and make sure you know where you can get tests done quickly.

Burt Abreu

All From 1 Supply
    Building & Maintenance
    Products for Self Storage

Comment

In short, quarantine the staff member, isolate the others they've been in contact with. Shut down the rental office with advisories, fully clean the office and common areas. Reopen with a unaffected team. Testing is also available to clear those who have been in contact and remove them from isolation. Either way it's a couple to few days of office closure. We have created a special paid sick leave for staff with covid symptoms, required quarantine or isolation.

Comment

Originally posted by Madman View Post
        We have created a special paid sick leave for staff with covid symptoms, required quarantine or isolation.
        That's very generous of your company! I had a close call a few months ago and my boss sent me home, missing 3 days of work and I had to use my vacation time to make up for it So now I have 7 hours of vacation time left and didn't get to go anywhere lol

Comment

Originally posted by AngelaESSTX View Post

That's very generous of your company! I had a close call a few months ago and my boss sent me home, missing 3 days of work and I had to use my vacation time to make up for it So now I have 7 hours of vacation time left and didn't get to go anywhere lol
          Hopefully, you can get some future leeway for your time missed while you took precautions.

We're certainly trying to be a good example and we have an awesome team. With all the stressful things going on, we're certainly trying to make sure pay and job security isn't one of them. There's also no doubt were going to need to be the best team possible as we continue to hit the challenges of this and the coming years. I do speak with lots of other owners and try to encourage great practices. I do understand that some owners are going through serious challenges too, as were all in this together. But I certainly encourage everyone helping each other out through this.

Comment

We would have to shut the office down, it is just my husband and I and one part time person who works about 20 hours a week. Our apartment is connected to the office and we have one air conditioner that circulates the air. I am so nervous that someone who comes into the office and has it will circulate to us. I know it is not probable but it is possible.
            The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Storman
              Reply to Charging a deposit
              by Storman
              I hold a $30 fully refundable deposit. It's extremely useful.

1) I make a big point in my phone pitch, email response and in-person tour of telling the customer that I do not charge ANY fees. No admin fee, no computer fee, no setup fee, no fees whatsoever that all the REITs around me are...
              Yesterday, 11:03 PM
            • CoolAir
              Reply to Charging a deposit
              by CoolAir
              We charge a non-refundable Admin Fee of $25 which includes disc lock, key ring, pen and letter opener (to open disc lock). No complaints yet....
              Yesterday, 04:56 PM
            • Clarkstoragellc
              Reply to Photo Thread
              by Clarkstoragellc
              Other things to do with a Storage location. Spending more time at the new location, so made it more homey. Flowers in full bloom. Eggplant, peppers and tomatoes starting to come in.

Yesterday, 01:24 PM
            Working...
            X