Background Checks For Online Rentals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Checks For Online Rentals?

So I had a thought bouncing around in my head this morning as our site began taking online rentals. I've had two now, back-to-back, that reserve/book a unit only to learn that they are seriously bad people. Gun charges, aggravated assault, and several other charges that might make some people upset to look at. In any case, I'm worried about my coworkers safety when I'm not around, so I wanted to know: Do you guys have a CSO/Crime Check built into your website, or a box that looks something like this?

☐ "By clicking this box, I consent to a background check to ensure the safety of all tenants & staff of {FACILITY_NAME}

Or do you think it's "Too forward", or too big a deterrent to a potential client that would be great, just reserved as far as personal information being put out to the world-wide-web? Looking forward to your opinions!

No, and it's why I meet them before they have access to the facility. My Spidey senses are pretty good, though I am human and fallible.
    You're going to eventually get a bad apple and only by being on the ball, alert and paying attention to who is on the facility grounds, can mitigate the damage. (It's how I knew exactly who my thief was as soon as I checked the cameras/access).
    Be snoopy.
    Terminating leases (document, document, document) and denying access are powerful tools, but if you are sincerely worried (so so neighborhood, and/or high crime stats) then let your employees conceal carry.
    Check out your contract-how much time do you need to terminate a lease? See if there is a minimum time limit determined by your state, or can you remove them right away. If it's not spelled out, change the wording to 24 hours or whatever you need.
    All that being said, I do spot check on country records occasionally if my spidey senses go off.
    Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Also, you mentioned a 'blacklist' in the other thread. We have one as well, shared between our 20+ facilities. If someone has bolluxed up and were terminated then we all know it and won't rent to them. Doesn't matter where in the state they were put on the list, if they come to my facility they won't be a tenant of mine.
      Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Face to face only

Comment

I figure if they got a credit card or debit card in their name, and a valid cell phone #, then that's good enough for me. But I live in a rural area with very low crime.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your replies! I figured it was just one of those things - it's really hard to judge a character without a face-to-face, and I haven't been able to find a third party system to integrate to our online rental application

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Clarkstoragellc
              Reply to New startup business in the midwest....
              by Clarkstoragellc
              Do your return and profitability calcs. Parking has a very low return compared to storage. Not a very good first storage investment, unless you happened to find cheap wasteground, or cheap ground that already had hardsurface....
              Today, 06:23 PM
            • Clarkstoragellc
              by Clarkstoragellc
              Customer Considerations:
              CONSIDERATIONS FOR RV OR VEHICLE STORAGE

A. Pull through- The front, pull as far forward as possible, gives the person next to you an easier angle to turn into, from behind you. Align your front with the fronts of all other vehicles. Be...
              Today, 06:22 PM
            • Clarkstoragellc
              by Clarkstoragellc
              Parking info:
              Surface, Canopy, Enclosed.

Just talking Surface.

Have run the numbers about 10 times on Enclosed, but I would have to charge $225 to $350 per month and don't have that market here. Have only seen one location on the interstate near Oklahoma City that had...
              Today, 06:19 PM
            Working...
            X