Closed Office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closed Office

Several members have mentioned their office is closed due to the pandemic. How has this affected new move-ins? How are you connecting with tenants who have questions or problems? What do you do if a tenant approaches you while walking the facility?

Finally, how is it affecting you personally to have little contact with your customers?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

We are still closed as a result of everything that is going on. New rentals have increased since before the pandemic and I attribute that to having online rentals which we enabled in February of this year before the pandemic started. We have missed some cash customers who would of rented if we had been open. Most of those people we helped over the phone and got them to purchase a money order for the drop box.

I have increased the hours I am available by phone, with our new VoiP system it is very easy to forward calls to different numbers via the phones in the office or a web browser. I also made this change pre Covid. We had started using an automated system on our phones. To answer all calls last year, and it immediately turned to a closed message when people called after hours. That closed message was dissuading people from leaving a message for me to call them back. My hours before were 11am-5pm. In December I changed it from 8am-8pm 7 days a week. With calls going to my cell phone when I was not in the office.

Again this is a change I made before covid which made a very big difference.

If a tenant wants to talk to me, I will talk to them I have no problem conversing with my customers. Just not inside my office.

Comment

I have the office door locked and when I see a customer drive up I will walk out to greet them with my mask on.

If it is a payment they are usually glad to not have to get out of the car in the Florida sun. I take their payment, come into the office to post it, print out the receipt and bring the receipt to them. I will stand there and talk too if they want. I miss talking with our customers. If they want to come in the office and have a mask on I will let them especially since we have a plexi-glass shield on the counter. I would prefer they stay outside because our office is very small. Tall Terri was here last week and saw our 8x11 office.

If they are renting a unit I will show them the unit and then let them in to do the paperwork in the office as long as they have a mask on or in their car. I really like to see and talk with customers and it seems so impersonal to make them be so far away and do everything in their car. I am trying to be as safe as I can while also giving great customer service.

The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• pacnwstorage
        Reply to Unit Pricing
        by pacnwstorage
        LOL! Wait for me to kick the bucket and take this place over....
        Today, 05:48 PM
      • pacnwstorage
        Reply to West Coast Wildfires
        by pacnwstorage
        Yea, even without the China virus we were wearing masks just because of the smoke and ash in the air. It's nice to get in the golf cart now and drive and be able to stop and not have the cloud of ash flow over me from the back. That cloud would kick up anytime I drove. Any cobwebs around the facility...
        Today, 02:35 PM
      • Grizz
        Reply to Unit Pricing
        by Grizz
        You're right, I just wish I could find owners as good as PAC's but I wont hold my breath. I have an exit plan, just need a partner ($$$) to get the ball rolling...
        Today, 01:35 PM
      Working...
      X