Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on dealing with loud music from the neighbor facility

Hi everyone:

Need your advice. I'm a live-in manager. Our facility is located in an industrial part of town. There's a smaller self-storage right next to us. It is quite run-down and the owner (an older man) basically tries to milk it for as long as it lasts. I've had tenants who moved from him tell me that they reported a giant hole in the roof with water dripping down the storage wall and the owner would just tell them to move if they don't like it. So just to show you the situation there.

OK, that facility has a house that was evidently built for the on-site manager. It sits about 200-ft away from my apartment. So the owner of that (run-down) neighbor site evidently leased that house out to someone who is not managing his storage site. From what I understand, just to some guy like an apartment rental.

Well, that guy evidently likes to play his techno music very loud at night. For instance, this last Friday I could still hear subwoofer going in my bedroom at around 2 AM.

This was happening before, and I verbally asked the owner of that site to ask his tenant not to play loud music. He had a strange reaction of joking back by saying, "Oh, you should go join them" or something stupid like that. So I don't think he cares.

So my question. What would you do in this situation?

PS. I know that I'm not in a residential area, so zoning laws about loud music will probably not apply.

I've noticed in many cities, the noise ordinances apply even to the industrial areas. That's where I would start. You should be able to find that info for your city online.
    MamaDuke

Comment

He may have zoning laws about apartment rental. I would ask the police to talk to them.

Comment

Thank you, both. I tried to search and there's indeed a city ordinance about excessive noise. And it includes loud playing of TV and music from 10PM till 7AM. Unfortunately there's no way to report it on that city website. So I guess I'll have to call police when it happens again.

Comment

Originally posted by bnr_manager View Post
          Thank you, both. I tried to search and there's indeed a city ordinance about excessive noise. And it includes loud playing of TV and music from 10PM till 7AM. Unfortunately there's no way to report it on that city website. So I guess I'll have to call police when it happens again.
          Does your town have an app to report things like this? My town here and in San Diego there was a city app you could download and put in a complaint there.
          Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinWA View Post

Does your town have an app to report things like this? My town here and in San Diego there was a city app you could download and put in a complaint there.
            I wish. I'm in a small town of about 40k people in PNW. Just by googling what MamaDuke suggested above I found some local webpage that lists all those ordinances. But then the page doesn't even have a contact form or anything of that nature. And the city website is no help either.

I hate calling 9-1-1 about stuff like that, but I guess I have no other choice.

Comment

I wish. I'm in a small town of about 40k people in PNW. Just by googling what MamaDuke suggested above I found some local webpage that lists all those ordinances. But then the page doesn't even have a contact form or anything of that nature. And the city website is no help either.

I hate calling 9-1-1 about stuff like that, but I guess I have no other choice.
              Does the local PD have non emergency # or an email? I'm in an itty bitty town (the facility that is) and you can email them a question.
              Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinWA View Post

Does the local PD have non emergency # or an email? I'm in an itty bitty town (the facility that is) and you can email them a question.
                Yes, they have a non-emergency line. But I can't call it in the middle of the night. (Although I may be able to call and ask them now. Good point.)

Comment

Believe me, 911 gets loud music calls regularly. Next time it happens call them up and raise he!!.

Comment

Also maybe code enforcement can pay them a visit if the place is getting run down?

I live at my property which is also in an industrial area. Last night I was trying to go back to sleep at about 1am & heard this loud bass type noise like someone was playing loud music, looked on the cameras, nothing around, then finally figured out it was the damn washing machine when it was on the spin cycle...oops!

Comment

Originally posted by LoisG View Post
                      Last night I was trying to go back to sleep at about 1am & heard this loud bass type noise like someone was playing loud music, looked on the cameras, nothing around, then finally figured out it was the damn washing machine when it was on the spin cycle...oops!
                      OMG!! LOL!! I thought someone was beating on my back door one night because of this!! Hashtag relatable

Comment

Well, I would approach it from a neighborly stance first. Go talk directly to the tenant in the apartment and let them know its keeping you awake. He probably doesn't realize someone is right there or is just not bright enough to realize he is inconveniencing you. If he continues, then approach it from a legal standpoint.Call the police and make a formal complaint, and keep calling every time until he gets a fine. Sometimes people will only listen when it costs them money.
                        You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Originally posted by AngelaESSTX View Post

OMG!! LOL!! I thought someone was beating on my back door one night because of this!! Hashtag relatable
                          We had a windstorm late last year in the middle of the night, and it unlatched the screen door causing it to repeatedly bang up against the porch railing behind it. I was woken up by loud banging, I was so rattled, I had my shotgun pointed at the door yelling WHO'S THERE?!!! LOL, took me a second to wake up and realize what was happening. I was about to shoot the screen door!
                          You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Yes, they have a non-emergency line. But I can't call it in the middle of the night.
                            Why not? There should be someone there 24/7. The town I work in is half that size, and I've both placed and received calls to the non-emergency line (regarding investigations and such) at all times of the day or night. You may need to call in the middle of the night if the neighbor ignores the request and you want an officer to "catch him in the act."

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post
                              Well, I would approach it from a neighborly stance first. Go talk directly to the tenant in the apartment and let them know its keeping you awake. He probably doesn't realize someone is right there or is just not bright enough to realize he is inconveniencing you. If he continues, then approach it from a legal standpoint.Call the police and make a formal complaint, and keep calling every time until he gets a fine. Sometimes people will only listen when it costs them money.
                              I agree. Sometimes just talking to someone in person will work wonders. I would give it a try because once the police are involved things can get nasty. You may still have to but at least you will know you tried to avoid going that route.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X