No announcement yet.

Disaster In Iowa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, thankfully, no injuries or loss of life.

Comment

smackdab I am happy to hear my post was able to help you. I am now at week 6 after the storm, I have not seen an insurance report for any of my locations yet. In fact one of my 3 locations doesn't even have it's inspection completed yet.

How many scammers have you had to deal with? I have had quite a few reach out to me.

Comment

No scammers yet. My case was pretty isolated compared to the event you were involved in, Randy. That might make a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by smackdab View Post
          No scammers yet. My case was pretty isolated compared to the event you were involved in, Randy. That might make a difference?
          I suppose that could make a difference, it is just so frustrating all the time I have spent to request roofing quotes. At the end these companies send me paperwork that says all you need to pay is your deductible and nothing more. They will hire all the engineers, lawyers, etc needed and take care of everything else. They send you 15 pages of information and none of it includes anything about what it will cost to make the repairs.

Were you able to find contractors to help you in your recovery? Have you heard from your insurance company on the total of damages yet?

Comment

I was kind of overwhelmed with the offerings of help from different people I deal with. My manager and her boyfriend, as well as my wife, were on site right away. I was able to get to the site the following afternoon (I live 6 hrs away). My insurance company has a 24 hr claims reporting number, I called them soon after I got the news. They did I guess what they were supposed to do, but didn't really offer much in the way of help on my numerous "now what should we do" questions. There was an adjuster on site the next morning (he only lives a few miles from the site) and ultimately I guess things are going OK with insurance. I haven't got the final numbers yet from insurance, I believe I'm covered enough not only for the buildings but for the clean up as well. Hope there are no surprises there. Not clear on the reporting for lost income yet, I will need to get that sorted out before long. A builder I've had before was able to come up and meet with the adjuster one day, we're on the schedule to begin rebuilding in October I hope. He's had to move some other projects around, but I think we can make it all work. The managers crew did a great job at organizing clean ups, and I put a lot of hours in as well. And the customers were for the most part phenomenal. Early the morning after the storm, my manager suggested we get a dumpster on site ASAP. The customers were going through their belongings, and were wanting to dispose of some items. They had no place to do that, so the dumpster was a real help. In fact, a couple customers finished cleaning up and loading their belongings and then jumped in the help others. I was fortunate enough that a guy I've hired for some different projects contacted me the night of the storm, eventually we had him come out with a skid steer and grapple to load debris. The guy who plows snow for me brought down a dumpster for the wood as well as the metal to get loaded in to, that was a real time and effort savings. I suffered a six figure loss, but nothing to the scope of what your loss sounds like. Again, the tornado was real limited in scope, so the local damage was pretty minimal. Sounds like I received most of the damage.

Comment

smackdab I am very lucky that this time around almost none of my tenants sustained significant damaged. But I know that there are people who haven't inspected their units yet. I know this because I am still getting phone calls till this day, saying why is there an overlock on my unit and where is my lock!!!

I went through a flood 12 years ago and all my tenants suffered massive damage to their belongings even with just 12-18" of water in the units. I was fortunate in that disaster that I didn't suffer major damage to the buildings. But I did lose most of my tenants. Which was not an insurable event.

In this event I have sustained most the damage to my buildings and it should be an insurable event. I was nearly 100% full before the disaster, and I only have 3 units I can't re rent right now as a result. I am still nearly 100% full now 6 weeks later.

I wish you a quick and speedy recovery smackdab, it looks like I will be waiting into next year on many repairs due to the demand for work in my area.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X