• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes, It's OK to say No to a customer

Customer: I need a 5x5 right now.
    Me: Have you ever used storage before?
    Customer: No
    Me:Ok, I can help you with that, can you tell me a little bit about what you're storing so we can make sure its the right size?
    Customer: Jesus Christ just rent me the unit already, I dont need some b**ch trying to up-sell me OK?
    Me: **Blinks eyes**..... excuse me?
    Customer: Just do your job OK I dont have time for this
    Me: OK, well, you know what? I am trying to help you save money, not up-sell you- but now you have crossed a line, so why don't you just go down the road to another facility. I will not rent to you today. Goodbye.
    Customer: Grabs keys off counter and leaves, while calling me a b**ch again.

Yeah, I'm not about to put up with that today, or ever. Go take your attitude somewhere else. I understand there are a lot of people under stress right now with COVID, loss of employment, income, now we have fires, and rioting. The world is an upsetting place right now. I consider myself a nice person, and an understanding one. But I wont let someone come in off the street and start this nonsense, especially for a 5x5. I think we can manage without that extra $26 right now.

You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

ugh. People. I swear.
    Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

I hate that for you. No matter what, it puts a damper on my day when that happens. We had a customer call us up the other night around 7 pm needing a unit that night because they were being evicted from their house at midnight. They said they only had cash, and could not sign our lease electronically! We explained to them we were two hours away and we weren't making a special trip. I would have made it back home around midnight! I don't know what happened to them. I'm glad it didn't work out though!

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post
        Yeah, I'm not about to put up with that today, or ever. Go take your attitude somewhere else. I understand there are a lot of people under stress right now with COVID, loss of employment, income, now we have fires, and rioting. The world is an upsetting place right now. I consider myself a nice person, and an understanding one. But I wont let someone come in off the street and start this nonsense, especially for a 5x5. I think we can manage without that extra $26 right now.
        No one deserves to be treated like that.

Originally posted by Bubba View Post
        I hate that for you. No matter what, it puts a damper on my day when that happens. We had a customer call us up the other night around 7 pm needing a unit that night because they were being evicted from their house at midnight. They said they only had cash, and could not sign our lease electronically! We explained to them we were two hours away and we weren't making a special trip. I would have made it back home around midnight! I don't know what happened to them. I'm glad it didn't work out though!
        I don't want a customer being evicted from home anyway. That doesn't suggest that I'm likely to get paid! I always have a reason that I can't rent to them when they tell me that's happening.
        MamaDuke

Comment

I am so sorry that you had to deal with an ass-hat like that!
          You did the right thing!
          Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

ANYONE that needs a unit RIGHT NOW never gets one from me, ever. They all have to go thru the same question and answer INTERVIEW I do with them. They don't want to do that, they can walk back thru the door or hang up. They are trouble where they are coming from and will be trouble for you as well.

I have "screened" prospective tenants this way for 6 of my 7 years here. It has been years since I was below 95% occupancy.

I know it works, the owner knows it works and he said so by giving me a $400 a month raise yesterday. His wife has told him that if he ever lets me go or lets another facility hire me away, she will kick him to the couch and he will have to fend for himself at meal time.

Stick to your guns and spidey senses and weed out the trouble makers that will make you regret you ever rented to them. Look at all the entitled masses in the streets causing all these riots to get a sense of what is down the pike if we deviate from common sense and spidey senses.
            "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Right call wc1974
              Amy Campbell
              Editor
              Inside Self-Storage
              [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

I just came to SST to post something almost the same!

Someone just called, and I hate to say it, but I can almost tell just by the sound of their voices. There seems to be something that happens to vocal cords with drug use, it's a distinct sound, especially with women. The sound along with the cadence and manner of conversation seems to repeat over and over.

She needs something now, the unit I quoted her isn't what she was looking for, but she'll take it.... ? I warned her that you can't live out of the unit, it's for storage only. She said she'd only need to come by once a day to get some clothes and exchange her laundry.

Nope, that's living out of it IMO. I thanked her for the call, but told her she wouldn't be a good fit here. Wished her good luck. At least she understood and politely moved on.

In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

I know exactly what you mean by the druggies speech tone and mannerisms. They also laugh at their own speech when they talk. Everything is funny to them that they say. Seen it and heard it many times here in hippy capital of Eugene, Oregon.

Comment

Good job telling them to hit the road. I got yelled at by a customer today because he wanted to use the restroom. Ours has been closed for 3 months due to covid, so I politely explained that to him. Funny part was I was renting his unit that he vacated yesterday to another couple, and they were standing there with me while the customer yelled at me. They brushed it off like I did. I couldn't tell him to hit the road, but I did not let him in the office.

Comment

I just got a similar call just a moment ago.
                      Customer: Do you have any units open?
                      Me: We only have 5x10 units open at this time, what are you looking to store?
                      Customer: Can it fit a sedan? A Car?
                      Me: So I wanted to say maybe if you turned it on it's side and folded it a little. I just said no it is only 5' wide.
                      Customer: Oh ok bye.

Comment

Get out the magical self storage facility chain saw.

Comment

I once had a customer call and abruptly ask me the cost of a 5x5. I tried asking what he would be storing and his response was "Don't worry about it". Already - spidey senses went up. He came over and looked at the 5x5 which was all I had at the time (WHEW) and he said, "I can't fit my King Sized bed in there!" I replied if you fold it and cut it in half it might fit - but that's why I asked what you would be storing so I could let you know if it would fit in what I have available - with a big cheesy smile on my face. :-)
                          Throw kindness around like Confetti - But don't get glitter in your eyes!

Comment

He was a self righteous dumb ass.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Steve_hajewski
                              Reply to Cost to build climate control units
                              by Steve_hajewski
                              Ah, yep i missed the two story part of that post. You'd be hard pressed to do that again today....
                              Yesterday, 09:34 PM
                            • pacnwstorage
                              Reply to More Than Storage
                              by pacnwstorage
                              At last facility I averaged moving supply sales of about $500 a month but here we do none. I wish, as I have said before many times, that I ran a facility that had outside as well as inside drive up storage and then I would have motorhomes and boat storage and travel trailer storage and then would have...
                              Yesterday, 07:45 PM
                            • Clarkstoragellc
                              Reply to Topics ISS Should Address
                              by Clarkstoragellc
                              1. State by state auction status regarding Covid. I've searched, but to no avail. I will have to call the State Attorney Generals office, already went to governors office with no info.

2. industry Consolidation path. Don't worry about setting timelines, although everyone will want...
                              Yesterday, 07:00 PM
                            Working...
                            X