How to get out of an online rental

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get out of an online rental

How do you deal with Online Rentals that you won't rent to. Previous bad tenants, criminals, bad credit etc? In 6 months I have only had one and I managed to creatively get out of it- she was wanting to store items that didn't belong to her. They belonged to her father who was on the front page of the newspaper for drug dealing. I was able to log in to my Virtual Terminal (Sage Processing) and void her payment. The online rental tonight is a similar scenario. Rented two 10x15 spaces. Unfortunately I am at home and don't have my log in info for the Virtual Terminal. I don't think there is anyway in Sitelink to reverse or credit their card payment.

I would just say that the units have to be down for a while for maintenance and that you don't have any others. Offer to find another place to send them to check on units but offer no guarantee. Then tell the other place you recommended what your gut feelings are.

This is exactly why at least myself and Storman never allow a rental online till we talk to them. I mark my units as damaged so they don't show as available unless I allow them to be.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I like what Pac suggested as a way out. Another option would be to say someone else had rented them earlier and the system hadn't updated yet.

I am sure I will run into some of these issues myself with online rentals. I have had to kick people out for violating rules, but no more than any other year.

Comment

Just say...."I am so sorry, that unit or units are NOT available!"

Period.
        Full stop.
        No debate.
        No discussion.
        Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Call Sitelink to refund the payments.
          Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinWA View Post
            Call Sitelink to refund the payments.
            My payment processing isn't through SiteLink.

Comment

Originally posted by JulieA View Post

My payment processing isn't through SiteLink.
              Okay-you'll have to delete the payment in Sitelink and then call your processor to refund the payment to the person's card.
              Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

This is why I hate online rentals. I prefer to vet everyone at least over the phone before any money changes hands. But like others have said, just void their payment (if same-day) and delete the payment from their ledger in your management software or credit it (if it is in a closed batch). It's up to you how you want to break the news to the tenant depending on how sensitive a topic the reason is. If it's something potentially illegal, I'd be careful in how you word it. Wouldn't want anyone coming into the office to start "trouble." I probably wouldn't "lie" to them about the reason, because they could probably easily call your bluff (e.g. you say no vacancies but then they just get a friend to reserve in their stead and give them an access code, etc.), but you could always be honest and just say you won't be able to do business with them and that you don't have to give a reason. They'll be PO'd, but you don't want them or their friends storing their anyway and even if they leave a bad review, it's better than dealing with illegal activity on the property.

Comment

Originally posted by JulieA View Post
                  How do you deal with Online Rentals that you won't rent to. Previous bad tenants, criminals, bad credit etc? In 6 months I have only had one and I managed to creatively get out of it- she was wanting to store items that didn't belong to her. They belonged to her father who was on the front page of the newspaper for drug dealing. I was able to log in to my Virtual Terminal (Sage Processing) and void her payment. The online rental tonight is a similar scenario. Rented two 10x15 spaces. Unfortunately I am at home and don't have my log in info for the Virtual Terminal. I don't think there is anyway in Sitelink to reverse or credit their card payment.
                  Are your units overlocked until rented, or do they have a way to access them via kiosk or other way? We keep our vacant units locked, so even if they rent online they still cant access building without a code, and if they successfully follow someone in, the unit is locked so they cant just move in without checking in at the office first. I would just wait until you're back in the office to process a refund and let them know sorry for the inconvenience but we are declining your rental at this time. I would be direct, let them know exactly what you think, You know who they are, who they are related to and you don't want anything to do with potential criminal activity. It's your right to protect your property.
                  You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

You should be able to log in to your processor now and issue a credit if you can't void it since it was yesterday.

Otherwise, I like they way lady5563 suggested handling it. Unfortunately, those aren't available and I am unable meet your needs at this time. A refund has been processed. No further explanation.
                    MamaDuke

Comment

Originally posted by RandyL View Post
                      I like what Pac suggested as a way out. Another option would be to say someone else had rented them earlier and the system hadn't updated yet.

I am sure I will run into some of these issues myself with online rentals. I have had to kick people out for violating rules, but no more than any other year.
                      I have done this before. Online rental, then came in and I recognized one of the people as a bad former tenant. I immediately said "oh hey, I was just about to call you. That unit was already rented and the system didn't update yet. Unfortunately we don't have anything else available, but I would recommend xyz facility down the street. They didn't seem to notice and went on their way.

Comment

Speaking of: I just had an online rental night before last. He rented the unit online 2 minutes before closing, called the office and said he needed access right away. Annoyed at the last minute rush, I asked him a few questions. Turns out he is military and he apologized for the inconvenience of me staying late to help him. Being a mom of 2 military men, I understand sometimes they do things last second and its not something they can control. So, I treated it like a no contact rental. Set him up with a code, left lock and Rental Agreement in unit for him to sign and drop through mail slot before next morning so he could come after closing to unload. Well he didn't show up. I called him yesterday to ask if was coming ? Then he came late last night ( 9:30PM), put stuff in the unit and dropped off the blank Rental Agreement with a scribble on the paper saying he needed 24 hour access, call him. We don't offer 24 hour access on interior units. I called him alright. I let him know he needs to get down here before closing today to sign the RA or get his stuff out tonight. I'll process a refund ONLY if he moves it out tonight. I have no contract with him and he is using the space without authorization. He has not answered any of my calls or emails.
                        You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Did he ever prove to you that he is military. That guy does not sound like a squared away military ember.
                          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post
                            Speaking of: I just had an online rental night before last. He rented the unit online 2 minutes before closing, called the office and said he needed access right away. Annoyed at the last minute rush, I asked him a few questions. Turns out he is military and he apologized for the inconvenience of me staying late to help him. Being a mom of 2 military men, I understand sometimes they do things last second and its not something they can control. So, I treated it like a no contact rental. Set him up with a code, left lock and Rental Agreement in unit for him to sign and drop through mail slot before next morning so he could come after closing to unload. Well he didn't show up. I called him yesterday to ask if was coming ? Then he came late last night ( 9:30PM), put stuff in the unit and dropped off the blank Rental Agreement with a scribble on the paper saying he needed 24 hour access, call him. We don't offer 24 hour access on interior units. I called him alright. I let him know he needs to get down here before closing today to sign the RA or get his stuff out tonight. I'll process a refund ONLY if he moves it out tonight. I have no contract with him and he is using the space without authorization. He has not answered any of my calls or emails.
                            Do you use SiteLink? I'd HIGHLY recommend setting up an eSign version of your lease that can be completed remotely. We do this for every contract (we do not keep paper copies and haven't for many years now). Never allow anyone access to your facility without a signed contract first. If eSign is not a possibility, then I'd just tell these last-minute tenants they'll have to wait until the office opens the next day. Based on your description, this guy seems like he's shady as all get-out.

Comment

Originally posted by RMRSS View Post

Do you use SiteLink? I'd HIGHLY recommend setting up an eSign version of your lease that can be completed remotely. We do this for every contract (we do not keep paper copies and haven't for many years now). Never allow anyone access to your facility without a signed contract first. If Esign is not a possibility, then I'd just tell these last-minute tenants they'll have to wait until the office opens the next day. Based on your description, this guy seems like he's shady as all get-out.
                              Hi RMRSS,
                              No we use Quikstor. He replied to my email that he would be by today to sign the paperwork. I gave him until closing time. After that the unit will be overlocked and his code removed. EVERY SINGLE TIME I bend the rules to help someone it bites me in the butt. Every. Single. Time. Ugghh... this is what my husband means when he says I am too nice sometimes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Orkocean
                                Reply to Happy Halloween
                                by Orkocean
                                I'll be either sitting in my hotel room watching Netflix or sitting downtown Salem, eating some fried alligator and watching the crazies... I've been driving around with a posable skeleton in my passenger seat. I am tempted to see if I can get it strapped to my segway and use my phone to control it...
                                Today, 02:01 AM
                              • bkinvest
                                Minimum driveway width for 12x30's, need advice
                                by bkinvest
                                I've got 10x20's on 1 side and want to build 12x30's across from them (the demand is for bigger units). The problem is I only have a total of 60' to work with from where the current building is. This would only leave 30' in distance between the 2 buildings? I know it's not ideal, but will it work?...
                                Today, 01:46 AM
                              • Kevin SC
                                Reply to Happy Halloween
                                by Kevin SC
                                Yeah I think we'll be doing a trunk or treat over at our church this year and that's probably it.
                                Yesterday, 06:29 PM
                              Working...
                              X