More Than Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Than Storage

Is anyone offering something unique or new as a profit center? What works well with storage?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

At last facility I averaged moving supply sales of about $500 a month but here we do none. I wish, as I have said before many times, that I ran a facility that had outside as well as inside drive up storage and then I would have motorhomes and boat storage and travel trailer storage and then would have propane sales, small mini market selling all the things a weekend warrior or vacationer would need when they hit the road. A dump station. Electrical hook ups. Set up a company to come detail units at the facility and give me a % of those sales.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Just got a phone call from a guy asking if we did flu-shots. LOL! I guess that would be a profit-center but maybe not quite legal. (he thought he had dialed a nearby grocery store...guess he was holding his fingers in his ears when I answered "____ Self-Storage..."

Comment

For awhile we offered steel shelving for an additional $10 per month. The heavy duty kind that will go together with a weighted mallet. They break down and store easily in an empty unit, but we found that there wasn't enough interest to cover the cost of the lost revenue of the unit they were stored in. Plus, it was a hassle to assemble and disassemble on other people's timelines. I left a couple of units with them installed, and charge a premium for those units.

When we first opened in 1987, we also converted a 10x12 into a small office space, with a storefront glass door instead of a roll up door. We carpeted it, put in a drop ceiling and a mini-split HVAC system. The idea was that we were going to go after small businesses that had to keep documents for 7 years (accountants, lawyers, etc.) and rent them space for their files, but also have a space where they could come and pull a box of files and use the well appointed office space to go through their records onsite. We had a copier, fax machine, chilled water dispenser and a large table with chairs. Didn't turn out like we had hoped. (my dad was a retired attorney, he thought it would be a huge hit).

Now we rent that little office to the contractor that helped us build the place. It's nice having him close, he remembers things about our build that I've forgotten (really helps when trying to locate plumbing or wire conduits), and is available anytime to help with maintenance.

So, I suppose I didn't answer the initial question, but there's an example of two things that don't work.
        Last edited by Storman; 26 September 2020, 01:00 PM.
        In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Still hard for me to picture getting a shot at a grocery store. I know it is done at the pharmacy but hard to wrap my head around that.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
            Still hard for me to picture getting a shot at a grocery store. I know it is done at the pharmacy but hard to wrap my head around that.
            Walgreens in in partnership with the VA to give vets free flu shots. I'm going next week.
            Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

I have never ever had a flu shot and will not start now. I get asked every time I go to the VA. Why mess with 9 years of no sickness at all.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                I have never ever had a flu shot and will not start now. I get asked every time I go to the VA. Why mess with 9 years of no sickness at all.
                Lucky! I got really super sick several years ago after not getting it and boy howdy, never again.
                Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Publix Supermarket has free flu shots plus a free $10 gift certificate.
                  https://coolairstorage.com/
                  Citronelle, AL 36522

Comment

Never had a flu shot never will as far as I am concerned. I am not anti-vaccination just never thought I need one. I have had the flue a hand full of times. Seems my odds were good so far. Why put crap into my body if not needed or wanted. Wait Aa minute, Don't call beer crap!
                    I will also not be getting the C-19 shot.
                    Joe Krezdorn
                    DAK Self Storage
                    Leesport, PA 19533
                    www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

When I first took over this facility the retail sales only averaged $200-$300 a month, most of that being locks. I started really promoting the boxes and other moving supplies due to our occupancy being full and needing to find another way to increase revenue along with increasing rates. We now average $1200-$1500 in retail with very little advertising. I've also considered being a drop-off for UPS, FedEx or USPS deliveries since they are in my facility everyday anyway. LOL

Comment

All of our sites offer U-Haul rentals, sites range from $500-$1,500 in commissions and help secure storage rentals.

One of our sites offered a UPS Access Point, we made about $100 / Month and did it for a year

That same site also offers mailbox rentals, we are currently earning $500 / Mo and just doubled the amount of mailboxes and see how well that works and keep adding on from there.
                        Thanks!

Comment

We have an array of moving supplies with a surprising amount of walk in customers as well as U-Haul rentals (honestly, it isn't not worth the headache, we could make more converting the UH spots into parking spots) & we also sell propane (but not propane accessories).

Comment

Originally posted by LoisG View Post
                            We have an array of moving supplies with a surprising amount of walk in customers as well as U-Haul rentals (honestly, it isn't not worth the headache, we could make more converting the UH spots into parking spots) & we also sell propane (but not propane accessories).
                            And most likely you could make even more converting the parking spots in to portable units, assuming you're site needs the units.

Trucks I understand the purpose of, but in all reality the amount of revenue they bring in versus the headache they cause just isn't worth it in my personal opinion. If your site is on autopilot, full, nothing really needed and your staff are sitting around all day then ok. If you have a site that needs to lease up though i'd rather have my managers working on marketing and ensuring they're available to deal with customers as needed. I've never had trucks be a boom to rentals, if anything trucks get rented more so because of existing customers already and usually to move out. If you're in one of the lovely areas for trucks that are always out of inventory you then put your managers in constant situations where truck customers are coming in upset and taking it out on your staff, your business gets the bad reviews, and the truck companies themselves could care less.

Comment

Originally posted by Orkocean View Post

And most likely you could make even more converting the parking spots in to portable units, assuming you're site needs the units.

Trucks I understand the purpose of, but in all reality the amount of revenue they bring in versus the headache they cause just isn't worth it in my personal opinion. If your site is on autopilot, full, nothing really needed and your staff are sitting around all day then ok. If you have a site that needs to lease up though i'd rather have my managers working on marketing and ensuring they're available to deal with customers as needed. I've never had trucks be a boom to rentals, if anything trucks get rented more so because of existing customers already and usually to move out. If you're in one of the lovely areas for trucks that are always out of inventory you then put your managers in constant situations where truck customers are coming in upset and taking it out on your staff, your business gets the bad reviews, and the truck companies themselves could care less.
                              Our last manager for this property was awesome, he busted butt with UH & was a yes man.
                              He would fetch equipment for pretty much any reservation made for our location. Apparently our District Manager & the owners had to keep reminding him he does not work for UH & it was wearing him down. Also our location used to be a truck share location & the former manager would have his UH reservation notifications turned on so he would leave his house in the middle of the night to stage equipment to be ready after office hours. Luckily he told UH to put a stop to that because he was running ragged to do that.

What I've learned in the 10 months of doing UH is you have to constantly assert to them that you do not work for them, storage is your primary business.

Also their program is extremely glitchy & doesn't work right at the end of the month & customers do not read their text messages/e-mails or check voicemails.

Anyway, I've made many notes about this & will be bringing it up at our end of year meeting with the owners.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X