Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You have to change the payment date for me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You have to change the payment date for me!

Do any of you change the due date for certain clients? We have a LOT of tenants on disability and many request that we change the billing date for them. My hesitation is that several other tenants ask that we change their due date till the 15. This is going to make an accounting and a logistical mess. Do you change your rent due dates?

Nope, rent is due on the 1st for everyone. Our lease and all paperwork states this. If they don't want to be locked out of the gate on the 2nd, a late fee on the 8th and again on the 21st, pay on the 1st. I would recommend telling them to pay a little extra each month and eventually it will put them ahead a month so they're not late for their mutually agreed upon (and signed) due date.

Comment

If a customer requests it, we change it. They pay the prorated to get them to that date and then come due on that date every month going forward. We are anniversary billing though so not that big of an accounting headache to us. Not going to do it every couple of months for the same customer though. Once to help you out to line your bills up better.

Comment

No. All rent is due on the first. Home office likes to keep it clean that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Orkocean View Post
          If a customer requests it, we change it. They pay the prorated to get them to that date and then come due on that date every month going forward. We are anniversary billing though so not that big of an accounting headache to us. Not going to do it every couple of months for the same customer though. Once to help you out to line your bills up better.
          We do the same here.
          MamaDuke

Comment

I have a few of them. I tell them I am not changing the due date, but the late fee is assessed on the 9th (and their benefits are paid n the 3rd) so they have two options:
            - Put it on a debit card that doesn't give them a low funds penalty and just put it on autopay. When the card has balance available it gets paid. They will receive a declined card notice on the 2nd of the month, which they can ignore.
            - They can pay it manually through my website or kiosk when they have funds.

It's a bit of a circus with some tenants but it all pays the bills for me and beats empty units. These clients tend to be long term and consistent payers, just a few days late.

Comment

It is on the 1st here as well. I have people that get their checks from the gov on the 3rd thru the 5th. I just change the date the auto pay hits their card but they also know that the amount of grace period is also reduced.
              "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I think the bigger issue that will make it a different factor to most of us is the lock out policy you enforce. The owners here insist we have to overlock the unit the day it becomes due. Those of you that let customers access during their grace periods it wouldn't make as big of a deal to.

Comment

If a tenant is on autopay and the card is declined on the 1st, I keep trying them every couple of days through the 10th. On the 11th they get assessed a late fee.

For the few people I have that receive benefits, I put an asterisk next to their name on the customer screen, so when the autopay list comes up I can easily find them and turn off the autopay charging prior to the 5th. It seems the funds will be taken from their account whether there is money there or not prior to the 5th, resulting in an overdraft charge.

So, I run autopays on the 1st with those two tenants turned off until I turn them on again to run the stragglers on the 4th or later. They always go through no problem on the 4th or 5th. Usually I have about 10 tenants that didn't complete when I run them on the 1st, then by the 5th half do complete, leaving 5 or so for me to keep charging or follow up with due to a bad expiration or declination due to the card being cancelled (usually they've been compromised and the tenant forgets to tell me of the new card number)
                  In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Originally posted by Orkocean View Post
                    I think the bigger issue that will make it a different factor to most of us is the lock out policy you enforce. The owners here insist we have to overlock the unit the day it becomes due. Those of you that let customers access during their grace periods it wouldn't make as big of a deal to.
                    Are you still at the California site? If so, yikes.
                    In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Originally posted by Storman View Post

Are you still at the California site? If so, yikes.
                      Yup, and exactly. I've argue'd it numerous times but i'm not the owners so not my call. Just one of the many things that aren't "correct".

Comment

I would not change the payment date but encourage the customer to be a responsible adult and pay a month ahead but I know that would probably only create more of an argument from the customer, "but I don't have enough money to do that" etc. I expect our tenants to pay their whole rent on time and I enforce that, we do give them until the 10th though so maybe that is why I haven't had many problems with this. I would stick to your policy though, don't create extra work for yourself.
                        Linden Mini Storage, Reno, Nevada
                        www.MiniStorageReno.com

Comment

Originally posted by MichelleG View Post
                          I would not change the payment date but encourage the customer to be a responsible adult and pay a month ahead but I know that would probably only create more of an argument from the customer, "but I don't have enough money to do that" etc. I expect our tenants to pay their whole rent on time and I enforce that, we do give them until the 10th though so maybe that is why I haven't had many problems with this. I would stick to your policy though, don't create extra work for yourself.
                          For ones who don't want to change or when i'm somewhere that we can't I push for that. Best time is usually when tax refunds are hitting, just did that with a customer this year here. While I enjoy people who regularly pay late so my site makes extra $$ I also see the ones who truly are struggling and trying to make things work in life so I give them some helpful advice. The one here this year did it with his taxes and now saves about $40 a month and always actually pays early now.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                            It is on the 1st here as well. I have people that get their checks from the gov on the 3rd thru the 5th. I just change the date the auto pay hits their card but they also know that the amount of grace period is also reduced.
                            Same here.

Comment

Everyone due on the 1st, no exceptions, stated in first section of our lease. If they want to pay early they can do so. We average about 15% late each month. High I know, but the extra income is ok with me as the owner. We do auction a unit or 2 every 2-3 months so most people usually do pay.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X