Should we have gate access hours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we have gate access hours?

Currently none of our facilities have gate access hours, but we are having issues with a small number of people coming to their unit at odd times at night, and I've personally dealt with 4 people trying to sleep in their units over the past couple years. We are thinking that we are going to add gate access hours here shortly. Do most of you guys have gate access hours at your facility? If so, what are the hours you have, and do you like having gate access hours?

Absolutely. Ours are from 8am - 8pm daily. I think having them is very important because of the very reasons you mentioned. Ours are very limited because we don't have electricity to the units (we removed it) so there is no lighting except our security lights. You may choose to go a little earlier/later with yours but as my dad would always say, "nothing good happens after midnight."
    Linden Mini Storage, Reno, Nevada
    www.MiniStorageReno.com

Comment

Like MichelleG said...my mom was the one who said nothing good happens after midnight.

Our gate hours are 6am - 9:45pm ( not 9:46pm ) and must be out by 10pm. We live here and work here and have driveway alarms that wake us up if the beam is broken. We check the gate log and often the videos to make sure everyone is out.
      The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

Our gate hours are 7am - 7pm 7 days-a-week.
        MamaDuke

Comment

It is so beneficial to have gate access hours to restrict unwanted behaviors from your property. And on top of general gate access hours you could restrict tenants to office hours only, if you have to. Our gate hours are 6am-10pm. You have to train some people how to conduct themselves on your property and one of the easiest ways is to say their access is now restricted and that we are watching you.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamkathleenj View Post
            Like MichelleG said...my mom was the one who said nothing good happens after midnight.

Our gate hours are 6am - 9:45pm ( not 9:46pm ) and must be out by 10pm. We live here and work here and have driveway alarms that wake us up if the beam is broken. We check the gate log and often the videos to make sure everyone is out.
            Can you tell me which driveway alarms you use? What has your experience been with them? I have been thinking about this, but I worry about the sensitivity as we do get some animals that move about the property.

Comment

Originally posted by golfman View Post
              Currently none of our facilities have gate access hours, but we are having issues with a small number of people coming to their unit at odd times at night, and I've personally dealt with 4 people trying to sleep in their units over the past couple years. We are thinking that we are going to add gate access hours here shortly. Do most of you guys have gate access hours at your facility? If so, what are the hours you have, and do you like having gate access hours?
              For sure gate access hours are a good way to curb this issue. We also have security that walks and drives the property every night. My husband and I also live on the property which helps deal with issues quickly.

Comment

The general gate hours are 7am - 7pm, 7 days a week for my facility. Since we have trailer/boat/vehicle parking, they get 5am - 9pm or 4am - 10pm. We make exceptions for longer hours for business tenants and a select few have 24 hour access (work odd hours or on-call repair). We reside onsite.

I have a man-gate that I never open and I have one or two walk-ons that go through the office.

Gate access hours alone will not stop people from sleeping or trying to stay in their units, they will just come before the access ends and leave in the morning when the access starts. Doing rounds, making eye contact and speaking with the tenants usually helps to dissaude them from trying to stay. Using cameras and gate access software with time stamps can also strengthing any case for termination of a lease.

If the concern is the comings and goings at odd hours and they rented with 24 hour access, I guess that should have been expected. I guess you have to weigh if losing some tenants by instituting gate hours is worth it. The majority of your tenants will probably be fine with it, you just have to word it properly (if a tenant was to hurt themself or need emergency assistance at night nobody is immediately their to help them, etc.). There are going to be some tenants that want that access, even if they never use or intend to use it - so expect some tenant push-back.

Maybe try it at one facility (the one with the most problems after hours) and see what the response is.

I am lucky, when people ask for 24 hour access, I have a competitor just down the road with that access that I recommend.

Comment

Definitely restrict the gate hours! Ours are 6am-10pm daily. Your gate/management software should allow you to make exceptions as well, if needed. For example, we have some commercial clients who have deliveries early in the morning (around 5am) that we have modified gate hours for, and obviously employee/owner/FD/PD/etc. codes are 24/7. I'd suggest you set your actual gate hours slightly earlier/later than your advertised gate hours to account for people's watches/clocks being off a bit and getting stuck inside and bothering you with phone calls about it. For example, if you choose 6am-10pm, set it for 5:50am-10:10pm or something like that.

Comment

[QUOTE=MamaDuke;n197163]Our gate hours are 7am - 7pm 7 days-a-week.

Comment

Originally posted by RMRSS View Post
                      I'd suggest you set your actual gate hours slightly earlier/later than your advertised gate hours to account for people's watches/clocks being off a bit and getting stuck inside and bothering you with phone calls about it. For example, if you choose 6am-10pm, set it for 5:50am-10:10pm or something like that.
                      I know with PTI/StorLogix, we can program a "grace period". Which I now utilize due to folks calling me at 10:01PM lol. Our gate locks out at 10PM, but I have the grace period set for 30 min afterwards.

Comment

We have 24 hour access Works for us. Keep your rent paid and you will not be denied access.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxes Den View Post
                          We have 24 hour access Works for us. Keep your rent paid and you will not be denied access.
                          I hope it continues to work for you. A long time ago we used to be 24/7 as well until we had a major incident that happened because a tenant was able to freely come at all hours of the night. We then switched to 6am-10pm gate hours. I don't think I've lost a single potential tenant over that, and we can always grant 24/7 or other extended access in special cases (and it's always a commercial client).

Comment

Our are 6 am to 10 pm. I have 1 commercial tenant with 24 hour access. He doesn't abuse it-he picks up at 530 am and is always back before 6 in the evening,
                            Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

We have 24/7 access. It's a selling point for some people, and if somebody isn't playing by the rules I can change them to business hours only with the push of a button. Having said that, if it were up to me I would not have 24/7 access...I would just make exceptions for people on a case by case basis if they had a good reason for needing it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• lady5563
                                Reply to Website Developers- Who do you use?
                                by lady5563
                                NO! Wake up and taste the Maxwell House Dark Roast!
                                It warms the soul!...
                                Today, 03:41 PM
                              • lady5563
                                Reply to Here We Go...!
                                by lady5563
                                I take my deposits to the bank myself.
                                I use the drive up and get a receipt for each deposit.
                                It seems as though the poster maybe used a night time drop off box and that was why the bank had to call the OP to inform of the deposit being short?...
                                Today, 03:29 PM
                              • RMRSS
                                Reply to Contracts are legal documents, DUH.
                                by RMRSS
                                Honestly I've never heard anyone have an issue with this before. In fact, all our contracts are electronic, so we type the info directly into SiteLink and the customer eSigns it on the screen. I've never had a tenant fill out the informational part even when we had paper contracts. So many people...
                                Today, 02:37 PM
                              Working...
                              X