Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Hello! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk! Please be patient with us as registration make take longer to process around the holidays. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Battery Acid on concrete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Acid on concrete

Uggh... I come in today to find someone spilled battery acid- or something that looks like it- all over the entrance and after mopping it and scrubbing at the white bits for several minutes, I realize its not coming off with normal elbow grease. Anyone have experience on cleaning up these type of stains? I know who did it, and they will be billed for clean up- my main question is how to clean this up?
    Attached Files
    You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Acid eats into the surface it is on. You can clean but as far as I know, there is no way to remove the etching in the surface unless you can grind it and smooth it.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Not sure if it would help your situation any but we had a stain of unknown residue outside a unit door I put on the maintenance list that 3 different maintenance guys have tried to remove *or atleast say they have tried* with pressure washers, scraping, cleaning products. Nothing worked. I got sick of it not being down so when I was at the site I got my drill out, attached a wire brush head to it used to remove rust from metal. Put the drill on high and pressed against the concrete, that's some of the cleaning concrete on that property now and it only took maybe 10 minutes for a spot about 12"x12" in size.

Comment

The depth of the etching will make the difference as to how long it would take. Battery acid is not as severe as say, sulfuric acid.
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Please be careful and wear protective gear. Wear eye protection, cleaning gloves (kitchen type should work - more heavy duty the better) and long sleeve and long pants (that are work clothes - if any acid gets on your clothes it may eat holes in the clothes when you wash them). Open any doors all the way to vent any fumes. Let somebody know what you are doing and to check on you periodically if they do not hear from you. You need to neutralize the acid - you can use baking soda. If it is still wet, sprinkle the baking soda on the spill, use rags and/or papertowels to clean up and toss them in a plastic bag and then dumpster.

Unfortunately, the acid will etch the concrete and there is no easy fix. Any fix may end up being worse than the concrete in its current state (both cosmetically and over the long term).

Toss the mop head since you do not know what the spill was. You do not want to spread whatever it was around your floors.

Looking at the pictures, to me it does not look like battery acid, however most of the battery acid spills I have come across are already dry.

Were your floors ever sealed? It almost looks like something has acted with the sealer, old sealer sometimes turns white or foggy white. If it is a sealer, some company maybe able to buff the old sealer or get back to the concrete and apply new sealer.

Always a pain when some tenant does something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post
            Uggh... I come in today to find someone spilled battery acid- or something that looks like it- all over the entrance and after mopping it and scrubbing at the white bits for several minutes, I realize its not coming off with normal elbow grease. Anyone have experience on cleaning up these type of stains? I know who did it, and they will be billed for clean up- my main question is how to clean this up?
            It looks like someone dragged in something with salt (like if you salt the sidewalk etc.) Try vinegar? Definitely wear eye protection etc.
            Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinWA View Post

It looks like someone dragged in something with salt (like if you salt the sidewalk etc.) Try vinegar? Definitely wear eye protection etc.
              Its definitly a corrosive, weve used baking soda, cleaning fluid, scraping- its just not coming up. We're looking at covering the entry with a commercial grade garage floor sealer. It has kind of a rubbery texture to it. We'll see what they decide to do. Otherwise well have to grind it and re-seal it.
              You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post

Its definitly a corrosive, weve used baking soda, cleaning fluid, scraping- its just not coming up. We're looking at covering the entry with a commercial grade garage floor sealer. It has kind of a rubbery texture to it. We'll see what they decide to do. Otherwise well have to grind it and re-seal it.
                Ugh, that's no good.
                Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• evansr
                  Reply to 2021 Goals & To Do's
                  by evansr
                  For our rate increases, we have taken a REIT approach, rates goes up on a schedule, but can easily be adjusted at a site level based on demand, customer issues, occupancies, etc.

Our discounts have been very limited already due to almost all unit groups being over 90%, if a discount is...
                  Today, 09:11 PM
                • pacnwstorage
                  Reply to 2021 Goals & To Do's
                  by pacnwstorage
                  Are you sure one size fits all for all the facilities and neighborhoods they are in? We do rate increases as needed and not on a schedule of 9 months. I have had 6 years in a row of increases over the year before and will do it again this year for a total of 7. We stress the security of the facility...
                  Today, 08:29 PM
                • evansr
                  2021 Goals & To Do's
                  by evansr
                  Hello Everyone, I am starting to put together our 2021 Goals and to-do's for our sites to present to the big boss for final approval. What is everyone looking at for 2021...with everything going on with this year, we still want to present a "normal" outlook and not "everything's on fire!"...
                  Today, 06:53 PM
                Working...
                X