Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Hello! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk! Please be patient with us as registration make take longer to process around the holidays. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Contracts are legal documents, DUH.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contracts are legal documents, DUH.

So why is my relief manager FILLING THEM OUT for the tenant?
    Even AFTER I put in my notes, DON'T DO THAT!
    Even after I let my supervisor know!!! I asked, "So WA state doesn't care? NC and CA both did." I've been to court, I know what the judge is looking for!
    He's STILL DOING IT!
    I can't even with people sometimes-
    Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

My lease has spots where I personally fill in amounts, dates, lease number....etc. The rest are where the initials and signatures go and that is always done by the new tenant and then I sign as well. That relief manager needs to follow the steps that are SUPPOSED to be done.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
      My lease has spots where I personally fill in amounts, dates, lease number....etc. The rest are where the initials and signatures go and that is always done by the new tenant and then I sign as well. That relief manager needs to follow the steps that are SUPPOSED to be done.
      Same-I fill out amount due, dates etc. but the addresses etc. should be filled in by the tenant only.
      I've done my due diligence-I don't make the decisions on who fills in for me, and I've told my supervisor. Now I'm just going to do my job, sigh.
      Last edited by KrisinWA; 24 October 2020, 03:21 PM.

WA State

Comment

Your software doesn't populate the info on the forms to then print and sign? Every company and state I've been in the customers fill out an info sheet, we type that info in then print out a lease. Go over everything, they sign the proper spots, we sign. Done. No writing of amounts, dates, customer info etc. is physically done on the lease. Handwritings can be a mess to read sometimes. Would always rather have it typed in.

Comment

Originally posted by Orkocean View Post
          Your software doesn't populate the info on the forms to then print and sign? Every company and state I've been in the customers fill out an info sheet, we type that info in then print out a lease. Go over everything, they sign the proper spots, we sign. Done. No writing of amounts, dates, customer info etc. is physically done on the lease. Handwritings can be a mess to read sometimes. Would always rather have it typed in.
          Nah, it's a blank contract we have tenant fill out.

WA State

Comment

Ork... in Texas we did the Blue Moon way. But in Idaho they (the tenant) has to fill it out.

Comment

Wow, the only time I've ever used a blank contract is when systems go down and we resort to manual paperwork if needed. Does your system not have the ability to do it for you or does your company just prefer it that way?

Comment

Wow, the only time I've ever used a blank contract is when systems go down and we resort to manual paperwork if needed. Does your system not have the ability to do it for you or does your company just prefer it that way?
                They have something like 24 facilities and all of them have the same contract, just different name.

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by Bighank View Post
                  Ork... in Texas we did the Blue Moon way. But in Idaho they (the tenant) has to fill it out.
                  Yeah I used blue moon in TX with sitelink system.

So they have to fill it out in Idaho, does them putting the information on a computer themselves count? I've seen some setups where a customer has a tablet infront of them to put their info in.

Comment

This sounds interesting, so if I enter in information on a rental agreement, and the tenant initials and signs to verify everything is right it can be thrown out in court?

Before we went to online rentals I would ask the tenant for a copy of their Photo ID, then ask if the information on it is correct. If it wasn't they would verbally tell me the information that I would type in. Then I would flip the screen go through everything and have them initial and sign.

Was this an issue because it was a hand written lease that didn't have time and date stamps to prove when the information was entered? Did the other side argue because there was different handwritten that something was added after it was signed?

Comment

So, my first facility had blue forms for "tenants" to enter their information, then we typed it in (Sitelink) and it printed out, then they signed it. But only after we made sure it MATCHED what they filled out. All of that is part of their contract-because they filled it out and signed it, that's what the judge looks for, so it doesn't look like we tried a switcheroo. But this facility they (are supposed to) fill out the entire thing, then we type it in the program, and print out the addendum, which they also sign.

WA State

Comment

Yeah I used blue moon in TX with sitelink system.

So they have to fill it out in Idaho, does them putting the information on a computer themselves count? I've seen some setups where a customer has a tablet infront of them to put their info in.
                        We do not have the system do do that. I wish we did. The way we handle out of town leases is to email the paperwork and instructions. Ten they complete the documents and have all signatures notarized. They cannot get possession of the unit until they show with drivers license.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyL View Post
                          This sounds interesting, so if I enter in information on a rental agreement, and the tenant initials and signs to verify everything is right it can be thrown out in court?

Before we went to online rentals I would ask the tenant for a copy of their Photo ID, then ask if the information on it is correct. If it wasn't they would verbally tell me the information that I would type in. Then I would flip the screen go through everything and have them initial and sign.

Was this an issue because it was a hand written lease that didn't have time and date stamps to prove when the information was entered? Did the other side argue because there was different handwritten that something was added after it was signed?
                          When it's completed in the customer's own handwriting, it's prima facie evidence in court. If it's incorrect, it's on them. No arguing that they didn't realize it was wrong when they initialed. If they enter it themselves online, at a kiosk, or on a tablet in the office, it would be the same. It is THEM filling it out for themselves, not me. If you didn't get the lien notice because you incorrectly input/wrote your own address (happens all the time!), then that's too bad. On the other hand, if you didn't get it because the employee typed it wrong and you quickly initialed, that can be a problem. It depends on how picky the judge wants to be!

MamaDuke

Comment

Originally posted by MamaDuke View Post

When it's completed in the customer's own handwriting, it's prima facie evidence in court. If it's incorrect, it's on them. No arguing that they didn't realize it was wrong when they initialed. If they enter it themselves online, at a kiosk, or on a tablet in the office, it would be the same. It is THEM filling it out for themselves, not me. If you didn't get the lien notice because you incorrectly input/wrote your own address (happens all the time!), then that's too bad. On the other hand, if you didn't get it because the employee typed it wrong and you quickly initialed, that can be a problem. It depends on how picky the judge wants to be!
                            Prima facie is the key. I had a judge ask a tenant who was suing us if we held a gun to his head and made him fill out the agreement. I knew at that point to just keep my mouth shut.
                            --
                            Ron

http://n6ach.com
                            http://laws.n6ach.com
                            [email protected]

Comment

Honestly I've never heard anyone have an issue with this before. In fact, all our contracts are electronic, so we type the info directly into SiteLink and the customer eSigns it on the screen. I've never had a tenant fill out the informational part even when we had paper contracts. So many people have crappy handwriting you couldn't read anyway. As long as a manager is not forging the tenant's initials/signatures, I don't see how it could possibly be a legal issue, since their initials and signature are their legal agreement that the contract is accurate and they agree to the terms. If a tenant could argue something was wrong because we filled it out and they didn't realize it, they could also argue that THEY made a typo (if you make them fill it out) and they didn't realize it. Either way, it's their responsibility to check for accuracy before initialing/signing.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X