Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Hello! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk! Please be patient with us as registration make take longer to process around the holidays. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Eviction notice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eviction notice

Hi all, I have a Tenant that I want to evict due to constantly being late and going into the auction process. He always shows up at the last minute to pay.. He is NEVER on time with his rent. Do any of you have a form letter that you use when you want to evict someone? If so could you share it with me? I would greatly appreciate it.
    "A Dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself".

Hi Tenant,

Effective (whatever your lease says for written notice), XYZ Storage will no longer be serving your self storage needs. You will need to be moved out with your unit in swept out condition by this date.

Best,
    XYZ Storage

I just made that up.

Comment

As stated in your rental agreement, dated January 19, 2017, your agreement is on a month-to-month term and renews automatically on the first day of each month. Either Owner or Occupant may terminate the agreement at will by giving at least ten days written notice before the end of the current month.

It is the Owner's option not to renew your lease. You have until XXXX to vacate your unit. Your lock must be removed on or before the vacate date. All terms and conditions of your rental agreement will remain in effect.
      The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

I have never yet done an eviction. It seems that a large rent raise will MOST times get them to leave on their own. I know right now with The China Virus that we can't raise over 20%. I will see what happens in the future. Have not needed to "Evict" any one lately.
        Joe Krezdorn
        DAK Self Storage
        Leesport, PA 19533
        www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

As long as they are paying the late fees, lien fees, cut lock fees etc...why evict them? It seems like there is ALWAYS that one tenant on a property who does this, and as soon as you get rid of them, another one comes along to replace them.

Comment

Originally posted by dtinfla View Post
            As long as they are paying the late fees, lien fees, cut lock fees etc...why evict them? It seems like there is ALWAYS that one tenant on a property who does this, and as soon as you get rid of them, another one comes along to replace them.
            THIS! I just enjoy the extra fees they pay! I wouldn't consider evicting anyone just for being late.
            MamaDuke

Comment

As others have said, rental rate increase or termination of the month to month agreement are your best options. We don't do evictions at all here.

Comment

Originally posted by dtinfla View Post
                That's my thinking. As long as they always pay all the fees and you don't have other issues with them, I'd just take the extra revenue. I have a couple of tenants that always go into Auction Status every couple of months. After awhile I stopped making them buy new locks. Saves me from having to cut them off all of the time. LOL But each time they pay up.

Comment

I used to let it bother me when tenants were late all the time. As I got older I just did all the late tenant steps and collected the money. If you want to evict someone for that, I would not because it can open up a whole can of worms with the entitled masses. Hell, they don't honor the lease and pay late all the time, what makes you think they will honor an eviction notice. Remember, entitled masses. I would not evict for this but would for a more grievous offense in a heart beat. Save your eviction letter/notice for a real bad offense, when you need it.
                  "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                    i used to let it bother me when tenants were late all the time. As i got older i just did all the late tenant steps and collected the money. If you want to evict someone for that, i would not because it can open up a whole can of worms with the entitled masses. Hell, they don't honor the lease and pay late all the time, what makes you think they will honor an eviction notice. Remember, entitled masses. I would not evict for this but would for a more grievous offense in a heart beat. Save your eviction letter/notice for a real bad offense, when you need it.
                    that!
                    Throw kindness around like Confetti - But don't get glitter in your eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by jewelgreg View Post
                      Hi all, I have a Tenant that I want to evict due to constantly being late and going into the auction process. He always shows up at the last minute to pay.. He is NEVER on time with his rent. Do any of you have a form letter that you use when you want to evict someone? If so could you share it with me? I would greatly appreciate it.
                      At the end of the day if you really want the tenant gone, do a rent increase.
                      If they stay, more $ for you, if they leave, you got what you wanted!
                      Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

I can appreciate what others are saying about keeping that tenant and if you only think about the bottom line, that makes sense. I am lucky in that I work for a facility that does not only care about the bottom line. We want quality, respectful tenants who follow the rules and the owner backs me up if I want to cut loose someone who never pays on time or gives me any hassles whatsoever. I have only had to do this twice so my screening and knack for reading people is usually right on and that is very helpful but we all get those who throw us off.

I sent you a message and I understand not wanting the headache month after month. It is a lot of extra work and hopefully the next tenant you get in there won't be such a pain. Good luck no matter what you decide!
                        Linden Mini Storage, Reno, Nevada
                        www.MiniStorageReno.com

Comment

IMO, the extra work is just a lock on the unit, a mouse click to lock out the gate code and just waiting for the late fee to roll in. I never call them or send a mailed reminder. I just email them, that is it. If I have any, including a tenant that pays on time all the time, that give me grief, well they get gone quickly but the late fee only and no hassle, bring them on. They are adults. Email them and wait. Not gonna chase them, period. Takes me less than 15 minutes to put locks on the typically less than 10 late tenants.
                          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

We like the late fees, too, and just locking them out is not time consuming, but I am talking more about preparing and mailing the preliminary lien notice, which I promptly do if they don't pay by the 15th of the month. I don't easily turn to eviction and have had most tenants for many years but I can see why someone would want rid of someone who is irresponsible and consistently does not pay on time. Once I have spent the time to prepare the notice, do all the certified mail labels, envelope, etc. we are not really ahead money wise. Don't get me wrong, I am fast at doing them but I would rather focus my efforts on something else. Just my 2.
                            Linden Mini Storage, Reno, Nevada
                            www.MiniStorageReno.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• evansr
                              Reply to 2021 Goals & To Do's
                              by evansr
                              For our rate increases, we have taken a REIT approach, rates goes up on a schedule, but can easily be adjusted at a site level based on demand, customer issues, occupancies, etc.

Our discounts have been very limited already due to almost all unit groups being over 90%, if a discount is...
                              Today, 09:11 PM
                            • pacnwstorage
                              Reply to 2021 Goals & To Do's
                              by pacnwstorage
                              Are you sure one size fits all for all the facilities and neighborhoods they are in? We do rate increases as needed and not on a schedule of 9 months. I have had 6 years in a row of increases over the year before and will do it again this year for a total of 7. We stress the security of the facility...
                              Today, 08:29 PM
                            • evansr
                              2021 Goals & To Do's
                              by evansr
                              Hello Everyone, I am starting to put together our 2021 Goals and to-do's for our sites to present to the big boss for final approval. What is everyone looking at for 2021...with everything going on with this year, we still want to present a "normal" outlook and not "everything's on fire!"...
                              Today, 06:53 PM
                            Working...
                            X