Mobile Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile Phone

Does your employer supply you with a company-paid mobile phone? How do you use it?

If you're not supplied with a phone, do you use your personal cell phone for work? In what ways?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

I have my personal cell and the business phone is also a cell. I can use it for personal calls if I wish and I like I can take it with me away from the facility.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

My circumstance may be a little different as a owner operator. I got a company cell phone about 25 years ago. Early in 2008 I was able to convince everyone that I needed one of the newly released smartphones with an internet connection. This was so I could get messages and quickly respond to tenant needs. I had an issue at that time. My mom was running our office, and refused to listen to voicemails. It drove me crazy.

At that time I hired an answering service, and got a smart phone to put all message responses into my hands.

I do have some of my employees that I currently provide phone service to.

There are times in the past where my employees have had phones turned off. So I like to provide that access to phone and internet on a reliable basis. Adding extra lines are just $35 a month. The carriers usually have some inexpensive smart phones that can be had for free after monthly credits. If the employee wants a better phone they are welcome to purchase one on their own.

Comment

We have a company cell phone that our office phone is forwarded to. We use it during business hours only. I have my personal number on the keypads for afterhours help...most tenants think it's an answering service number when they call or text me. Now that I have been managing this facility for over 2 years, I rarely get calls afterhours.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelaESSTX View Post
          We have a company cell phone that our office phone is forwarded to. We use it during business hours only. I have my personal number on the keypads for afterhours help...most tenants think it's an answering service number when they call or text me. Now that I have been managing this facility for over 2 years, I rarely get calls afterhours.
          You have them trained!
          "Carpe the HECK out of this diem."
          WA state

Comment

Previous companies I was on call if something happened, meaning, if security company had an issue, I was called on my cell. This company handles all of that, but we do have a company cell in the office if the regular phone goes down.
            "Carpe the HECK out of this diem."
            WA state

Comment

My employer also supplies us with a work cell phone.
              Actually I have 2 as I run 2 locations!
              I do carry then home with me.
              These cell phone numbers are posted on the office door as an EMERGENCY phone number only!
              If while at home the phone rings, I will not answer it.
              If a voice message is left I will listen to it and decide the importance then if I am going to call anyone back.
              I am not paid to answer the phones and process payments after office hours!
              That is the sole reason why I will let it go to VM.
              Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post
                My employer also supplies us with a work cell phone.
                Actually I have 2 as I run 2 locations!
                I do carry then home with me.
                These cell phone numbers are posted on the office door as an EMERGENCY phone number only!
                If while at home the phone rings, I will not answer it.
                If a voice message is left I will listen to it and decide the importance then if I am going to call anyone back.
                I am not paid to answer the phones and process payments after office hours!
                That is the sole reason why I will let it go to VM.
                I completely understand this point of view, but I look at things a little differently as an owner operator. Since I am the one who returns the messages in the morning, I have no issue dealing with it at night. One less thing on my plate when I get started the next day. Before I changed my cell phone hours I was dealing with 5-6 messages right away every day.

Comment

I forward all office calls to my cell. I used to keep it live 24/7. Sometime last year I started using Do Not Disturb. I set it for 9:00 pm and back on at 7:00am.
                  I was so tired of the 2:00am calls asking for the price of a 5x5 unit.
                  I hated calling customers back with my cell as they now have and always use that #. If I am on vacation or a long bike trip I may not look at the phone all day. They get mad that I did not answer. Had they called the office # they would get ahold of our Daughter.
                  Just last week my wife got a new phone. With xfinity mobile you can add a line for free and split data. I will most likely keep data off and try to use Wi-Fi only. So this will now be the phone to return customer calls. I have the ringer off so they have to call the office number.
                  I'm gonna teach people one way or the other.
                  Joe Krezdorn
                  DAK Self Storage
                  Leesport, PA 19533
                  www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

No company-supplied mobile-phone, but I have a Google Voice number that forwards to my phone (both voice and text) that I have posted as an "emergency-only" number on the property. That way I don't have my personal mobile number floating out there! We also use XPS (call center) for calls to our main landline number (rolls over after a few rings).

Comment

No co. cell phone. Hooray!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Mark C
                        Reply to Standard Rental Rates - Better Way To Figure Them Out
                        by Mark C
                        Rates are what I am finalizing now. Prices everywhere here are going up. I set ours up a couple of months ago. We are about a month away from opening our doors. We have nearly 10' ceilings in our units (taller buildings), led lighting on timers in all units, roughly 25 cameras that cover 100% of the...
                        Today, 01:31 PM
                      • KrisinWA
                        Reply to Tell me I am wrong
                        by KrisinWA
                        There were riots in Seattle (actually still going on every week) but the one I'm referring to was when the guy stole an AR-15 rifle from a police car which was then set on fire (the car). This guy had the gun forcibly taken from him by a former Marine, now bodyguard for Q13 Fox.
                        Man who did this...
                        Yesterday, 07:09 PM
                      • Bella_Lindemann
                        Reply to Tell me I am wrong
                        by Bella_Lindemann
                        No you're not wrong and I feel the same way. I've gotten to the point I will not tolerate certain behaviors from people. I don't have enough age in wisdom to say I'm at a point I don't have to get along with others anymore. But I can say I have enough age in wisdom not to put up with degrading, derogatory,...
                        Yesterday, 05:20 PM
                      Working...
                      X