What If ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What If ...

Self-storage operators might face any kind of emergency or calamity any day of the week. Are you prepared? ISS is gathering responses from operators for an upcoming article. Below are the scenarios. If you'd like to participate, please email or PM your answers to me along with your name, facility name, city and state. You can answer any that you'd like. Responses should be less than three sentences. Thanks!

What would be the first thing you’d do if…
    • You discovered a tenant was doing something illegal in his unit?
    • You learned your facility was in the path of a fast-approaching hurricane, tornado or other significant storm?
    • You discovered a tenant was stealing from your other customers?
    • You found out that a co-worker was stealing from the facility or tenant units?
    • Your business became the target of a cyber-attack?
    • An employee tested positive for COVID-19?
    • Someone was injured on your property?
    • An upset customer targeted your business with negative comments on social media?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

You have my responses. Promise you that no grey streaks will be created with this info I shared.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Ugh, tenant came in about an hour ago, stated her husband had fallen badly this morning. Tipped over a low wall backwards-possibly broke his arm, probably a concussion. Made my heart sink when I saw it on video.
      Went to camera and took stills and filed an incident report-of course I'm completely out of memory sticks so I have to buy one tomorrow to save the incident on video for insurance. The mgt company will have to decide what to do next.
      What's worse is they are a fellow business owner, literally behind out facility. Super sweet older couple.
      "Carpe the HECK out of this diem."
      WA state

Comment

One of the lines I always get initialed is that we are not responsible for falling, tripping, twist their ankle, bump their head, twist their knee, bruising, etc. That is also why I ALWAYS take the prospective new tenant to the unit before I would rent it to go over policies and rules while driving in the golf cart, show them where the new unit is at and most importantly to watch them unlock the unit, raise the door and close the door and relock. If they physically cannot do those tasks, then I talk to them about possibly not renting but leave it up to them. I always recommend, if they are challenged, to have someone with them. Lots of us older people want to be independent but we also have to be realistic because I am not going to do all that for them when they show up. I of course would help in any way if something happens but we are not responsible for clumsiness or physical limitations.

Comment

I learned something from my Son's day care center. As he switched rooms or I picked him up in different rooms, I always noted the same laminated blue sheet on the side of the inside wall next to each door. Looked at it. Had about 25 different occurrences on what to do, who to contact and phone numbers to call.

Thought this was the best thing since Sliced Bread. Very few people can remember things when it hits the fan. Plus with about 40 alternating and new employees, someone at least would fail to be trained or remember.

Point:
          All the types of items noted above and the actions are great, but as part of the Article put the need for Visual documentation and ease of access. Especially over multiple locations and employees.
          going down slowly.png

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Clarkstoragellc View Post
            I learned something from my Son's day care center. As he switched rooms or I picked him up in different rooms, I always noted the same laminated blue sheet on the side of the inside wall next to each door. Looked at it. Had about 25 different occurrences on what to do, who to contact and phone numbers to call.

Thought this was the best thing since Sliced Bread. Very few people can remember things when it hits the fan. Plus with about 40 alternating and new employees, someone at least would fail to be trained or remember.

Point:
            All the types of items noted above and the actions are great, but as part of the Article put the need for Visual documentation and ease of access. Especially over multiple locations and employees.
            going down slowly.png

That's gonna require a boat for unit access.

Comment

I'm still seeking a few more operators for this article. Please email or PM me if you'd like to participate. Thanks!
              Amy Campbell
              Editor
              Inside Self-Storage
              [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X