Tenant moving in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant moving in

Good morning all. Have any of you had a Tenant that decided they were going to use their storage unit as their apartment? I have a Tenant that has been telling people around town that he is going to move into his storage unit because he continually gets evicted from his apartments, for non payment and trashing the place. I will be receiving a call within the next week or so when he actually moves out of his existing apartment and his plan is to come to my facility and move in.. Well that would be a big NO! But I want to catch him doing it. But once I do, should I just have him removed by the police, and if so do I overlock his unit at that point so he can't crawl back? Any suggestions?
    "A Dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself".

Depending on what your lease/state states about notices...have him removed by police, place the overlock, and serve him with a 3 day non-renewal with the provision that he has to vacate during office hours only so you can keep an eye on him. What a headache to deal with and the fact that he's so proud about it blabbing it to everyone shows he ain't the brightest crayon in the box. Keep us updated!

Comment

A few years back I had a tenant who I knew had living issues.
      When he became my tenant he told me that he was without a castle and would be living with his parents, temporarily.
      A few months go by, no problems until a Monday morning came and on my gate logs I see his code being entered early in the morning like 6 am.
      But because he had not keyed IN that morning, the code said restricted hours, which meant he was exiting that morning but had not entered that same morning.
      So I notate his account notes, spoke to me superior and knew that I would be watching his gate code like a hawk!
      Sure enough, the next day, same scenario on the keypad!
      Boss and I decide let's give him him ONE more chance and Wednesday morning, same thing on the gate logs!
      I call him and he answers, I ask him if he is able to come to the property and speak with me.
      He say's he can and that he will.
      I had pulled out my golf car so that when he pulled up that day, I walked outside and said, "Sir, why don't you hop on the golf car and we can take a spin"
      He does, we go out to the property and head towards the building his unit is in.
      I turn to him while waiting for the gate to fully open and I ask him, "do you know why you have been called to the principal's office today?"
      He said, "Yes, Penny, I do have an idea"
      So he admitted it, he was apologetic and even said he hadn't slept like that in 3 years, in his 5x10 on the floor of blankets!
      I told him that he was not allowed to sleep in the unit and in fact he was breaking the law and that if I caught him again, we would have him arrested and he would be evicted form the property.
      He was my tenant for probably almost a year before he finally got an apartment and vacated!

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

If you know he plans on doing it, why in the hell would you let him move in? If he is already a tenant there, get out in front of this and tell him how you found out what he said and then do the big fat NO. This is a no brainer.

I know if you confront him he will pull his "entitled masses card out" and say you have no right to monitor what he is saying. How did you find out what he was saying? Social media or your own group of confidential informants? Social media is open to all. How you found out is your business. You don't need to CATCH him. Head it off now. Hell, if it was me I would give him a 30 day move out notice, please tell me you have that right in your lease, and just tell him that you feel the landlord/manager/tenant relationship is just not gonna work anymore.
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

"Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet him"

Comment

"principal's office"

ROFL

Comment

I would get on top of this issue, as long as it's covered in your lease, by restricting his gate hours to your office hours to keep an eye on him.

Comment

Sometimes, please don't take this the wrong way, some of these questions seem to be asked because a manager or owner is seemingly afraid to talk to the tenant about these things or confront them when needed. If is in the lease, you are covered. If they initialed and signed the lease agreeing to all of it, you are covered. If you know you are right and that what you need to do is the right thing to do but you are hesitant, you may be in the wrong job.

The owner and manager and relief people need to be the Alpha dog. Be nice about it till you can't be nice anymore, like in the Patrick Swayze movie "Road House", and then make sure you get the point across. I talked about this in another thread. Too much of this is happening and it is getting worse and just like the homeless camps that expand and never get smaller, it will overtake the facility if you let it. If that guy starts to live in his unit, others will follow, again like in the movie, "Field of Dreams".

Be safe, whatever way you handle it. If need be have a second person with you, especially the owner if you are the manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                "principal's office"

ROFL
                tenor.gif

Comment

The majority of my tenants think I am the owner!!
                  This is how I run my properties!
                  My owners put me in charge and that is just what I do!

Comment

Same here lady. Over half think I am the owner and the owner tells me not to say differently unless I want to blame a policy/rule on the "owner".

Comment

Ok, I'm totally confused. Is this someone who already stores with you or not? At the start you say you "have a tenant" but then near the end you indicate he hasn't even rented yet. Also, how do you know he's been going around town saying these things? Are people stopping by your office to let you know? Why would he just randomly tell people that he was a trashy deadbeat and then continue to tell them the specific facility he was going to try to lodge at? In any case, under no circumstance should you ever rent to anyone if you know their intention is to lodge in the unit.

Comment

Don't rent to them. There, your probable problem is solved.
                        "Carpe the HECK out of this diem."
                        WA state

Comment

He says "he has a tenant" and that sounds like the guy is already in a unit at that facility. Then he says, "plans to come to my facility and move in".

If you are going to tell a story, please tell it so it is not so confusing. C'mon man!

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                            If you know he plans on doing it, why in the hell would you let him move in? If he is already a tenant there, get out in front of this and tell him how you found out what he said and then do the big fat NO. This is a no brainer.

I know if you confront him he will pull his "entitled masses card out" and say you have no right to monitor what he is saying. How did you find out what he was saying? Social media or your own group of confidential informants? Social media is open to all. How you found out is your business. You don't need to CATCH him. Head it off now. Hell, if it was me I would give him a 30 day move out notice, please tell me you have that right in your lease, and just tell him that you feel the landlord/manager/tenant relationship is just not gonna work anymore.
                            Yeah, contact him and tell him he needs to leave NOW

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                              He says "he has a tenant" and that sounds like the guy is already in a unit at that facility. Then he says, "plans to come to my facility and move in".

If you are going to tell a story, please tell it so it is not so confusing. C'mon man!
                              I believe he has a STORAGE tenant who plans to come and move in as a RESIDENCE. The wording was a bit confusing.
                              MamaDuke

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X