I No Longer ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I No Longer ...

What's something that you used to do at your job that you longer do?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Dangerous game. I no longer put the cash drawer out-I keep it in the safe because I may get 5 cash payments over a month. It's less hassle to just go back to the safe to get change. Then I'll fill out the sheet to update it if anything changed like more $5's or whatever.
    "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
    Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
    WA state

Comment

Allow more than one name on the lease.

Have an access list.

Comment

I still run the store the same way...however, one thing I no longer do is take anything personally. I learned a few years back that pretty much nothing that occurs here is personal (except for the lady that called me a Nazi because I wouldn't let her run a store out of her unit...that was personal from her). When I learned this, I discovered I could handle situations much better as it wasn't about ME. It's all business and I should handle it as so. One of the greatest things I no longer do.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelaESSTX View Post
          I still run the store the same way...however, one thing I no longer do is take anything personally. I learned a few years back that pretty much nothing that occurs here is personal (except for the lady that called me a Nazi because I wouldn't let her run a store out of her unit...that was personal from her). When I learned this, I discovered I could handle situations much better as it wasn't about ME. It's all business and I should handle it as so. One of the greatest things I no longer do.
          I had a bit of a blow up with a tenant about 2 weeks ago that had repeatedly broke rules and I gave her a 30 day vacate and she went off on me and I stood my ground instead of walking away, like I normally. She was full of vitriol and just would not let up. I took it personal and should not have. I now have a post it note on my spit screen that I see and it says:

"EVEN IF IT IS, DON'T TAKE IT PERSONAL!"

It helps me.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelaESSTX View Post
            This is great advice...I need to implement it more!

Comment

My wife will no longer lick the envelopes. I catch myself from time to time falling into old habits. That gum taste is just horrible.

Comment

I no longer will use the grinder to cut a disc lock.
                I used to.
                I don't want to anymore.

Since Covid-19 came I too have not licked any envelopes and I probably never will!
                Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post
                  I no longer will use the grinder to cut a disc lock.
                  I used to.
                  I don't want to anymore.

Since Covid-19 came I too have not licked any envelopes and I probably never will!
                  Is the decision to not use a grinder to cut the lock due to the metal that flies off of it or the lock moving around or just the inherent danger of it?

Comment

I no longer let people go far too long without payment before starting the lien process. (60 days at most, no matter what they claim their circumstances are)
                    I no longer send out printed invoices using the USPS, it's all email now (that happened a few years ago)
                    In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Originally posted by Storman View Post
                      I no longer let people go far too long without payment before starting the lien process. (60 days at most, no matter what they claim their circumstances are)
                      I no longer send out printed invoices using the USPS, it's all email now (that happened a few years ago)
                      Like this. The state of Oregon did allow unpaid rent to go on and on, 387 million as of the first of the year for 89k residents, and still stay in their homes. It was never in effect for self storage. Luckily I had no receivables at the end of the month for 11 out of 12 months so was no big deal. I had no reason to go to a lien process.

I used to send out mailed statements as reminders for some people and businesses, when I took over. After the law was changed to be able to use emails, well that changed right then and the payment automatically generates a receipt and a reminder for the next payment.

Comment

Shake a client's hand. I stay at least 6' away when possible.
                        Throw kindness around like Confetti - But don't get glitter in your eyes!

Comment

i no longer believe anything a past due customer tells me in regards to what their excuse is for not paying.

Comment

Originally posted by newstorageguy View Post
                            i no longer believe anything a past due customer tells me in regards to what their excuse is for not paying.

Smart!

Comment

I no longer meet most clients in person. Website, phone, kiosk. I tell them rent what they think is right, call me if they want to switch to a different size after they see it in person.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X