Helicopter Parent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helicopter Parent

When does customer service cross over to becoming a helicopter parent? Like, I make a point to tell young ladies that get a unit in their name with a BF as alt contact, to call to change their gate code if there is a problem. I make a point to tell ppl to allow the gate to close when entering and exiting, for their safety and our security; to keep from tailgaters getting in. I tell them to be out 1 minute before the gate locks or they won't get out.

Originally posted by bwmary View Post
    When does customer service cross over to becoming a helicopter parent? Like, I make a point to tell young ladies that get a unit in their name with a BF as alt contact, to call to change their gate code if there is a problem. I make a point to tell ppl to allow the gate to close when entering and exiting, for their safety and our security; to keep from tailgaters getting in. I tell them to be out 1 minute before the gate locks or they won't get out.
    Just another hat you wear. Plus you impart the wisdom early or pay for shenanigans later.
    "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
    Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
    WA state

Comment

Have tenants that do this.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinWA View Post

Just another hat you wear. Plus you impart the wisdom early or pay for shenanigans later.
        my husband gripes that I am shouldn't be holding their hands thru everything. ... Some of these 'kids' I don't think had a parent. I think many times ppl need compassion during this transition in their life.

Comment

You cant change that you are a good person, That is why you do that, I did teach my kids that, but maybe they forget! And you are great person to help them out. When they are young, takes a few times sometimes for them to listen.

Comment

We rentals over the phone, and send info via email. We don't supply anyone with information other than the ONE occupant. Occasionally people have a rough go, and we will make accommodations when asked, but will not go out of our way to make it happen. With spring right around the corner, we are back to putting people on a waiting list anyway.

Comment

You can't put an old head on young shoulders.

It is a good idea to offer that information especially to young people because moving and being in a transition and in love they may forget. This morning I rented a unit to a man who is storing his & girlfriend's items and she would be paying the bill. I reminded him that if she doesn't pay it is his responsibility otherwise HE goes to auction and collections. If I can impart what little wisdom I have I will do it to possibly avoid issues in the future.
              The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

I've had so many domestic issues, that I just make it a point to emphasize who is legally responsible and who has control of the keys/lock/access. If the lease is in your bf's name, but you are paying the bill, for the love of motrin, get your own unit. Too many times have I had an issue with couples breaking up and then someone upset they can't get their things. I don't care if it's helicoptering, it's saving ME and my employees the future headaches.

Comment

As far as putting their significant other as a contact, that’s a boundary I’m not crossing professionally. Just because they’re young, doesn’t mean they’re children.

When I sigh folks up I always ask “ok who else should have access?”

Comment

I've got 2 units now that are on their last leg because people are breaking up. Also, told a couple today that they can't bring their dogs on the lot anymore because I have had to clean up food and poop that is left behind. Told them I did it twice, won't be a 3rd time. Plus they are late paying and keep promising payment. Sorry your girlfriend is pregnant, sorry your job didn't work out, might be something about the tracking anklet you are wearing.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X